Two Main issues with C&C Generals

Discussion in 'Games' started by Ari_0, Jul 23, 2004.

1. Ari_0 macrumors regular

There were three main issues that caused problems on the windows version. I want people here who have played it wether it still has these problems due to perfect emulation or have they been rooted out on the Mac version:

1- Choppy Videos: The opening videos, the sequences, on some PC configurations were very choppy. I.E. " The GLA leader ha....... gone to the ...... one his w......" sound wise while the videos pauses for a few milliseconds as if to catch its breath every couple of seconds. EA games have blamed the problem on the lack of defragmentation. I think its more to do with graphics. Since Generals drank GPU like fish drinking water. So j/w, any such problems on the Mac?

2- Scripting lag: Whenever an army marched towards you or if you went into the enemy's terretory, the computer would initiate a series of action/ counter action scripts which would cripple the playability by anything from 10seconds to 30minutes (depending on PC setup). This is generally caused by the script intiation and the execution order of the scripts (some player made maps write the same script 5 times to prioretise it over other ones). I know this because I did make a few maps for the PC version. Does the Mac have similair problems?

I want to hear from owners of this game not just demo players. I did have these problems when it was on PC, it didn't halt my enthusiasim for the game; suffice to say I made maps for it. I just need to know if the same problems show on the Mac due to perfect emulation or has the game engine been modified to root these out (incidentally the same game engine as warcraft :D )?

I am getting a PowerBook and getting Generals regardless. Just wondering what it would be like. Thanks for your replies.

Ari_0

2. applekid macrumors 68020

The videos are still choppy on the most part in the demo. I don't have the demo anymore, but I remember sound was choppy and/or the video got choppy during the load screens. Aspyr released a patch soon after that made it noticeably better. However, I'm the only person that probably had this problem with the demo: for the terrorist mission, the intro game rendered movie goes at about one frame every 20 seconds, literally. But, the videos for the load screens are very high-quality. To a point it looks too sharp and bright. I wish Aspyr could've compressed the videos more or drop the quality, but I'm sure EA wouldn't allow it.

There was no scripting lag in the demo, but in the retail version, I'm sure there is. People have said performance got worse with the retail version than the demo. I'd assume it is some scripting lag.

I'm sure you wanted someone with the retail version to comment, but I had to throw in some of my thoughts, too.

An exact port of a PC game will keep any bugs or problems to the PC version had and bring it to the Mac. The best example of this is with MoH: Spearhead. The level with the halftrack will come to a crawl on both PC and Mac versions no matter how fast your computer is. Sometimes, a port will get bugs fixed and work around them, but it's not that often that happens.

(Sometimes, I have to wonder if the original publisher and developer force the Mac version to keep some bugs. I wouldn't be too surprised if Westlake brought the Final Candidate version of Spearhead to EA and EA said, make sure to keep the halftrack bug and made Westlake do a re-write. ;) )

3. iriejedi macrumors 6502a

iriejedi

my 2C

I play it on an AMD 3200+ (64 bit 2.2 gig) with radeon 9600XT card highest resolution I can get on 17inch flat pannel (1024X768) or some thing like that and everything else turned up high... - I see no lag or issues what so ever - even with 100+ tank attack on financially subdues enemy (I was bored).

Iriejedi

PS - anyone know a good site for more maps?

4. applekid macrumors 68020

No surprise your PC had no problem. It's way above requirements. I think we're talking about machines near the requirements.

5. iriejedi macrumors 6502a

iriejedi

no worries

No worries - I did not see any specs in early post - so I was assuming that quality programing, not specs, was the point of the discussions - bad programming leading to bad performance - regardless of machine power.

:rolleyes:

6. seamuskrat macrumors 6502a

seamuskrat

I have a Dual Gig with NVIDIA Ti.
    Video is Choppy for cur scenes and intros. Not horrible, but not smooth either. I am sure, RAM, disk speed, and video card make a difference. I have an external DVD-R that has a faster read speed than my internal one and it plays better on the external drive.

As for the scripting, some bugs are still there, but IMO not as bad, but its a faster machine than the PC version. Bottom line, many units on screen, it has skips, but not like 30 minutes.

7. Tremaine macrumors member

I have a new 2.0Dual with 9600 card and the full version of C&C with all detail at max. The video is a little choppy, but nothing major. I saw one slight pause when there were many many units on screen. However, it is very playable and I play it regularly.

8. Ari_0 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the replies people. Does anyone have this game on a new Powerbook (1mgz+)? Doesn't matter anyways I loved it on a pc regardless of its imperfections and I will love on the Powerbook regardless of its imperfections. Will keep you all posted on any new maps made ;)

9. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

It was unplayable on a PC that I had. But I maxed out all the settings on my G5 and it was very smooth. One part of the game wasn't possible without a cheat for me. On the last China mission against the terrorist, I finally had made a cheat that would give me instant nukes whenever I wanted them because I just couldn't build up enough resources to win and it would launch wave after wave of terrorists that I couldn't keep up. It was almost like some type of cruel bug in the game. So after about 80 nukes, I was able to declare victory.

10. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

Could someone who's maxed out the graphics post a screen-shot please?
    I've got the graphics on low and it looks terrible, but some of the images in the game look amazing. If the graphics are really like that I'd be tempted to use it as an argument for a new machine.

An explosion would be nice :) Boom :)

AppleMatt

11. Tremaine macrumors member

Here are some images, although compression and size may not show the graphics at there best....What you can't see are things like shells from the Comanches falling to the ground, tracers, lots of shrapnel, etc

[​IMG]
    Before...

[​IMG]
    After :p

[​IMG]
    Some tanks

12. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

PowerBook 1GHz/768MB ram/9600 mobility

Lags, but it's definitely playable. Seems to be CPU or drive limited, since turning up the graphics a bit didn't make it lag noticeably more.

13. broken_keyboard macrumors 65816

broken_keyboard

I also had trouble on that mission, but once you know the trick you can complete it every time without cheating.

After you win the first quick battle, go immediately to the right and take out the small base there. Then build two supply collectors, one to collect the resources that are right there and one to collect the resources up and to the right a bit. Use all your money to build the really giant tanks, don't worry about troops or smaller tanks.

Put a healing tower on one of the tanks and gattling guns on the rest. Buy all the upgrades for the big tanks such as nuclear tipped shells. Once you have five or six of these you will be able to walk right over the enemy. Nothing can stop them: chemical weapons, suicide bombers, angry mobs, all are useless. The tank with the propaganda tower will heal them too quickly.

The only thing to watch for is the first chemical weapon strike that will happen before your tanks are ready. Group all your remaining forces closely together away from the base and then he will fire the scuds at them instead of your base. When you get the launch warning move the tanks and he will miss.

One you have a squad of fully powered up huge tanks you will be unstoppable...

14. Ari_0 thread starter macrumors regular

Oh that part is easy. the main challenge is how to hit their long range targeting (rocket buggies, scuds). Each person has a way. This is mine.

Choose the nuke cannon upgrade form the stars (when they flash at begining), then line up a bunch of nuke cannons safely behind some tanks. Get them to force fire directly ahead (it was ctrl+left mouse on pc, dunno about mac yet). Get the propaganda tower up and running. Once complete, get some overlords to defend the nuke cannons. particularly ones with healing upgrade and gattling upgrade. Build around 12 (at least) hackers and spread them out. So that you have three at each area with a gattling cannon nearby (incase of GLA ambush). Build as many nukes as you fancy. When you have at least four ready to fire, fire simultaneously into the GLA zone, drive in with the tanks and clean up the mess :D

Repeat procedure untill all GLA are dead.

15. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

16. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

Thanks man, those look tonnes better than mine do. I'm gonna take another look at the dual 1.8...

AppleMatt

17. Ari_0 thread starter macrumors regular

Do these work on an applemac pc? If not, I may have to find out how to convert them to a mac-friendly map-pack Ari's Fav MapPack