Two Major Problems

Discussion in 'macOS' started by rontheancient, Jan 3, 2007.

1. rontheancient macrumors regular

I was playing around with my PowerBook from my other PC though the dorm file share network. I created a test folder in the home folder of the PowerBook and was going to delete the test folder, but instead, I accidentally deleted the Desktop folder. Now I cannot get it back, and I cannot create a new folder on the desktop. How can I restore the desktop folder?

Here is a related problem, I joined a file share network in my dorm, but whenever I try to connect to my PowerBook, I am asked for a user and password. When I enter the info in, I am taken to my home folder, where I can do what I please. I thought only the Public folder can be shown, and not my music, documents, library etc.

2. Savings macrumors member

Since you're connected to your PowerBook as you, you can see your entire home folder. If the guests use the guest logon, they'll just see the guest folder. When you go to Network, you see YourPowerBook'sNetworkName.local. When you click on that from the powerbook, it's just an alias to your homefolder. Remote connections will need to authenticate with your username and password to view that folder.

3. rontheancient thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks,

I got the Desktop folder problem fixed. So when a computer on the network tries to connect to my PowerBook, what do the user type in to access the public folder?

4. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

5. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Apple should stop you deleting those folders, (and renaming your home folder) in Finder, it seems to happen quite a bit...

6. rontheancient thread starter macrumors regular

The problem I am having is how do people access the stuff that I want to share, like videos, through the network without getting access to my home folder. In a PC, I can see all the shared folders of the other PC's in the network through My Network Places, but not my Public folder. I know you must enter a username and password in View Workgroup Computers to view the folders of a networked PC via My Network Places, but when I do that on my PowerBook, anyone who I give access to can access it's home directory via View Workgroup Computers.

One of the solutions that was avaliable via the link in 2nyriggz post still allows access to a home directory, which allows someone to screw up some system files.