Two mean problems, RAR files and Error 95

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by RubberAphexTwin, Feb 3, 2007.

1. RubberAphexTwin macrumors newbie

I've been mastering my Mac OSX 2.8.x for three years now, and every little problem has found a way of being solved except for two Very hardcore problems that I can never figure out.

Ive been downloading ISO and DMG files through the Torrent networks this year, and most of the time, everything seems to work. Other times I get stuck because of two puzzles:

1. when I download a folder, It holds "within thyself" a number of RAR files. When the files are in a (rar, r00-r69) system, Stuffit expander understands what to do and extracts what is enclosed from all parts of the archive, this works well.
    the problem occurs when the archive is multiple files that all end with .rar (DVD.Part01.rar - DVD.part69.rar) in this case stuffit only extracts one rar file at a time, and I get say 69 "tempxxxx" folders with different parts of the enclosed file. The needed result is a One Whole file.
    Also in this case, Stuffit may semi-work with this multiple .rar system and extracts a file that's say 250 megs in size, when the actual file size enclosed is 3.3 gigs.

2. I've been told that other Archivers for OS X can handle these situations. When I download my suited versions of UnrarX, Unarchiver, Rar Expander, Rar, Extractnow, and other great software from a site like sourceforge, it never seems to work because of problem #2: The downloads are dmg images. On my system dmg files can't mount because of "Error 95: No Mountable File Systems".

There comes a time where computers just stop making sense.

If this makes sense to you, or you have come up with a handy solution, I would be very interested in hearing your Ideas.

Is there a solution to problem #1 without going into #2?
    Is there a solution to extracting from multiple .rar files that are not compressed as (rar, r00 - r0something)?
    Also maybe someone figured out "Error 95: no mountable file systems" in DiskImage?
    I am aware this is also a very common problem, so this means a solution has to come about.

all help much appreciated,
    Thanks.

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

are the .rar's in the .dmg? In that case mount the .dmg first. Otherwise the likelyhood is that the .dmg is corrupt, redownload the file.

3. RubberAphexTwin thread starter macrumors newbie

the problem is RARs. The rars are not "in" anything. There is something "in" the RARs. :)
    I doubt that everything offered on the official sourceforge wibsite is corrupt, this might be a more local problem...

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

5. RubberAphexTwin thread starter macrumors newbie

it seems that DiskImageMounter only comes with Mac OSX 10.3.x
    I will try to look for earlier versions, but I might need another solution.

6. RubberAphexTwin thread starter macrumors newbie

Nope, I didn't find it, no one thought of putting a free download, or bundle for OSX 2.8.
    I also have Toast Titanium 7.1, I think i heard that dmg's can be mounted with toast. If so, Can someone hint me on how to do this?

back to the top; has anyone successfully extracted something compressed in multiple .rar files? (not rar,r00-rxx)

I have attached a picture showing "Error 95" upon mounting an image.

I have also attached an image showing a segment of the .rar archive I am trying to extract.

Attached Files: