Two Mehs with Tiger

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Balin64, May 6, 2005.

1. Balin64 macrumors 6502a

Balin64

I know most of you have had it installed for a week, but I did a search and did not nail this:

1. How do I make Spotlight index my iTunes files? Does Spotlight not do this yet? Is Apple thinking that if you want to look up an audio file it will be in iTunes and one must search for it there?

2. How can I assign the F1-F12 keys to open apps? I went batty trying to fogure that out: I usually use KeyXing to access (F1-F7) Finder, Safari, Mail, System Prefs, iCal, AddressBook, iTunes. I wnat to do this with Tiger since it seems that KeyXing is no longer supported and I do not want to install additional third party hacks anymore.

3. Off topic: Spotlight is sketchy and the widgets are SLOW... Unlike many users have reported, Tiger made the AirPort Extreme bars on my iMac G5 diminish and Safari is quite a bit slower. Oh well. They better fix that! :mad:

Thank you possums and a good morning to you all.

2. Celeron macrumors 6502a

1. No idea. It works here on my 12'' PB. I didn't do anything special.

2. I don't think Tiger supports this natively. You are going to need a third party app to do it.

3. I don't have any problems with spotlight or the widgets and I'm using a 1ghz PB. Sounds like you did an upgrade and not a clean install? Clean installs are you friend.

3. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Hmm... Spotlight searches my iTunes files automatically, straight out of the box. I don't have access to Tiger at the moment to check out my settings or anything, but I'd suggest as a first step checking the Spotlight preferences and making sure the little box next to iTunes is selected.

4. Platform macrumors 68030

Platform

Well spotlight is suppose to be built into iTunes just as in Mail....I think...because that is where he got the idea from....anyway for me iTunes normal search is pretty quick anyway ;)

5. hansen macrumors regular

Is it just me?

I find spotlight a great new feature, still not sure about the dashboard. And agreed there are other nice improvements as well. Everybody seem so overexcited about the new os - i'm a little puzzled.

After installed and looked around I was thinking - is this the new great OS that's gonna lure wintel users away and make everybody stare? I don't see it. When new Windows versions appear there are usually HUGE improvements a totally new experience. Now, I do think OS X is far better then Windows, but I don't find Tiger to be that much more exciting than the previous version - and definitely not worth the money. Am I missing something?

The adds where funny: Now they will be busy copying in Redmont. But I also think they will be done pretty fast adding a search functionality to the OS.

Where's the giant leap forward here?

6. Platform macrumors 68030

Platform

QT 7 with H.264......As you said spotlight and dashboard but also Core Image..Automator....Xcode 2...and it runs faster and more 64Bit features ;)

7. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

No no no! I wish everyone would quit saying QT 7 is a feature of Tiger! You can get it for Panther and soon you'll be able to get it for Windows!

8. joeconvert macrumors 6502

Something that seems to be forgotten...

Improved multi-processor scheduling thanks to inclusion of newer FreeBSD technlogy.

9. Balin64 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Balin64

Thanks for the replies

Spotlight seems a bit better now, but it is still not finding m4a files. Searching "Lovely Rita" does not yield "Lovely Rita.m4a" in my Music folder.

Also, the iTunes widget is a disgrace. It sits there and does not function when you click the forward or play/pause button. Unusable as it is at the moment.

10. Celeron macrumors 6502a

Again, I hate to burst your bubble but it works just fine here. Sounds like your install of Tiger is messed up. I just clicked the play/forward/reverse buttons in the itunes widget and it worked as expected.

I say backup and do a clean install.

11. Balin64 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Balin64

Sigh...

I DID do a clean install. Repaired permissions after adding the Adobe CS Suite, Roxio Apps, VueScan, Mac The Ripper, MS Office. I then added my iTunes. That's all.

No widget :(

Spotlight is better; it just needed a while to index things.

Now, if I could just find a key assignment app that works with Tiger...

12. stcanard macrumors 65816

stcanard

Ahh, but without CoreVideo it will be nowhere near the same performance!

QT7 isn't a Tiger feature, but it is a way to show off the awsomeness that is CoreImage / CoreVideo. Releasing for Panther just emphasizes how much you need Tiger.

13. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

dashboard feels half assed... perhaps with the 10.4.1 update some quirks will be fixed and it will perform as it should...