Two monitor problem

Discussion in 'macOS' started by louiek, Jul 30, 2006.

1. louiek macrumors 6502

Hi all,

When I'm at work I use an external monitor with my Powerbook. Unfortunately, there are some applications I've found (excel and google earth so far) that remember the co-ordinates of their windows when they've been shut down. So when I get home and try to open them up, they're still placed on the second monitor. I can see them through expose' with "view all windows" but I can't move them. Is there some way, maybe through terminal or plist editor, that I can move them because I'm getting sick of having to hook up my Powerbook to my TV so I can drag some windows back to the laptop.

many thanks.

2. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

Have you tried going into System Preferences and "Detect(ing) Displays?" Does that not work? Try it with Excel open, maybe?

3. louiek thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks Tobefirst, I tried that but no luck.
    Now that I try to reproduce the problem with excel, it's not consistantly flakey, seems to depend how far down the bottom monitor (I have one above the other) I put the panes. Google earth does it reproducibly, if I close it while the window is on the lower monitor, I can't get to that window when I only have the laptop.