Two month old OS X install hangs on lock up - Intel Mini

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Spanky Deluxe, May 11, 2006.

1. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Ok,

I've been using my mini all the time for the past two months since I got it. Its maximum down time has been about four hours, I usually leave it on. I saw that there were Frontrow updates so I ran software update, there were four there, three required a restart. {Please someone invent an OS that doesn't require restarts}. I download them and install them. The 'restart or shutdown' window hovers in the way, even Microsoft has a 'I'll shutdown later' button. I close everything, click restart and go off to make a cup of tea.

Now it won't start up, it hangs on the 'loading os x' screen, the blue bar went over to about 80% the first time then froze and now it gets to about 10%. The mouse cursor still moves but the blue bar doesn't animate. Starting up in verbose mode leads to a blue screen with the mouse cursor and that's it.

I've put the install disk in and I've verified the file permissions and scanned the disk, all is fine.

What do I do now?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

3. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

4. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    have u installed new ram, if so, try taking it out, or try to check that its tight

5. imacintel macrumors 68000

You can just log out and see what happens.

6. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

7. Spanky Deluxe thread starter macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Hey all, sorry I couldn't report back on this sooner, my internet connection went down last night too.

Its all fixed now.

Boot up into save mode, remove all items from the librar/startup items folder and remove all items from system prefs - accounts - login items.

I posted on the Apple Support forums and it seems to be a very common issue with installing both the latest security update and the quicktime update on Intel macs.