Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Applespider

macrumors G4
So have we all sent the BBC a comment on how we love our Macs?

And how many Mac-haters will bring up outdated arguments based on pre-OS X? Hmm, perhaps I should leave the comment until after the first round are published and put the record straight...

iGav

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 9, 2002
virividox said:
BBC sure are reporting a lot about apple lately :)

Cool isn't it... atleast it's well weighted, and not the usual fanboy tripe.

It just feels like the momentum is really beginning to build behind them now, and stuff that Apple were implementing back in '00 and '01 really makes sense now. :)

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
britboy said:
And who should be in the second picture, but our very own Hector with the MR iBook :)
Seriously!?

_40717293_applepa203.jpg

BakedBeans

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2004
What's Your Favorite Posish
I must admit to being puzzled by the whole Apple cult. I too have had my ear bent by Mac nerds, but I've ignored them because I can't see the point of paying over the odds for an inferior product just because someone considers it to be stylish. Why buy a Mac when you can get a PC that will outperform it in every respect for half the price?
Anthony Jones, Leeds UK

a thik your mad tony jones :)

how about we have a little test :rolleyes:

quality, effectiveness and value (and speed)

Applespider

macrumors G4
Yup - that picture is about 1015 on opening day at Regent St, upstairs at the bench near the Genius Bar where we were all herded after getting our Bags.

I believe Hector is trying to get his brand new iSight fresh from his Lucky Bag to work with his iBook...

VincentVega

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2004
UK
iGAV said:
Cool isn't it... atleast it's well weighted, and not the usual fanboy tripe.

It just feels like the momentum is really beginning to build behind them now, and stuff that Apple were implementing back in '00 and '01 really makes sense now. :)

The BBC is precisely the sort of website on which Apple needs to get featured. Millions of people read the Beeb's website from all around the world.

The BBC's coverage of computing and technology is getting pretty good now. They often cover things like the (numerous) Windows security alerts, the launch of Firefox 1.0 and so on. It all helps bring these things into the mainstream and shows people that there's an alternative to spyware, BSODs, viruses and beige boxes. It's all about educating the masses.

However:

"Who cares?
Chris, Lincoln"

Useful comment.

"I am indeed puzzled. The Mac Mini is lacklustre. The specification are so 2003. And yet people are willing to pay money for that. The iPod Shuffle is even worse.
March Suffot, London"

I think he misses the point. The MM is supposed to be an entry-level computer. If you want a more powerful one, buy an iMac or a Powermac.

As for Anthony Jones' comment, what sort of PC can one buy for $499/£200? A Pentium 2? Someone hasn't being paying attention to recent events.

I think Apple still has some way to go for the public to be fully informed as to the nature and advantages of its products. They've got me convinced of the merits of the Mac and I intend to buy a Mac (not sure which one) as soon as I can.

angelneo

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2004
afk
britboy said:
Yup. Not to sound at all seedy, but I spent the night with him (and many others, of course) on Oxford Street waiting for the store to open.
Wow... Do you guys organize trips or outings every once in a while?

britboy

macrumors 68030
Nov 4, 2001
Argentina
angelneo said:
Wow... Do you guys organize trips or outings every once in a while?

Heh, not exactly. I'd never met the guy before. There are a couple of MR people I've met up with previously (there are some strange one's amongst them ;)), but that I know of there hasn't been a get-together in London for a while now.

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
AL-FAMOUS said:
I must admit to being puzzled by the whole Apple cult. I too have had my ear bent by Mac nerds, but I've ignored them because I can't see the point of paying over the odds for an inferior product just because someone considers it to be stylish. Why buy a Mac when you can get a PC that will outperform it in every respect for half the price?

Ach, the tired old argument, with the usual distortions.
I'm not in a cult. I like to be productive.
Inferior? When every study says otherwise?
Half the price? Not even close. Actually take a moment and price a system with the SAME specs. Or investigate independent analysts on productivity, TOC, etc.
The truth might surprise you... if you are interested in the truth.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.