Two More Moons Discovered Around Pluto

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Mr. Anderson, Oct 31, 2005.

1. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Nov 1, 2001
  2. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

Aug 20, 2005
    Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
    cool, i havent heard much of the new planet they discovered(or thought they did) behind pluto.

3. clayj macrumors 604

Jan 14, 2005
    visiting from downstream
    I propose the names "Cerberus" and "Mine!" (Because the second one is mine... ;) )

I think it's reasonable to assume that the general public will continue to regard Pluto as a planet, even if some parts of the scientific community do not.
  4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia

Unless they've got blue and white stripes and sing children's songs...

Nice find Mr. Anderson. I wonder how big they are relative to Pluto. I can't seem to find dimensions in the article. :(
  5. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

Jun 4, 2003
    It's neat to see that our solar system seems to keep getting bigger and bigger as we discover more about it. :)
  6. clayj macrumors 604

Jan 14, 2005
    visiting from downstream
    Ya gotta read more carefully:

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia

Thanks, I do. :eek:
  8. Whyren macrumors 6502a

Jun 3, 2004
    east of the West and west of the East
    Especially considering that these moons are significantly smaller than Pluto, not somewhat similar like Charon. As for names, how about Thanatos/Orcus/Februus or perhaps Hermes? (Cerberus sounds good as well, clayj) This should lend a bit more interest to the Pluto Express mission as well.

I guess this just goes to show you that the Hubble Space Telescope is outdated technology not worth maintaining. :rolleyes:
  9. EricNau Moderator emeritus

Apr 27, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    Here's what bothers me about some (not all) scientists. Why don't they make up their minds about Pluto? If they considered it a planet at one time, why are they now deciding that it isn't? It's not like they discovered it was half the size they originally thought it was. So really, what these scientists are arguing about is what the definition of a planet is...And fact is, they have no idea, because everyone has their own oppinions. So we will never know if Pluto is a Planet because we will never know what a planet really is! :eek:
    Soon - they'll decide these aren't moons either ;)
    PS - the definition of a moon would mean it has to be orbiting around a planet. So if these really are moons, then this just solved the debate whether or not Pluto is a planet.
  10. mcarnes macrumors 68000

Mar 14, 2004
    USA! USA!
    They'll name them after Roman Gods like all the other heavenly bodies. Pagan scientists. :p
  11. joepunk macrumors 68030

Aug 5, 2004
    a profane existence
    Cool news.

I do hope that they get better names though. I kind of like Norse God/Goddess names. A bit different from the usual naming nomenclature of Roman names. Or how about using some Native Aboriginal American names
  12. MacSA macrumors 68000

Jun 4, 2003
    Not all celestial objects are named after figures in Roman mythology. For isntance the giant Kuiper Belt object named "Quaoar" comes from a figure in Native American mythology, there is also "Sedna" - the Inuit Goddess of the Sea.

Newly discoeverd objects are given provisional names which denote the time of their discovery. If these objects found around Pluto are confirmed they will be given names.

The "Tenth Planet" still has the provisional title of 2003 UB313.
  13. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    Don't worry every now and then everyone misses the obvious.

Those days you try looking for that bruised spot on your ass, and you can't find your ass.
  14. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mar 10, 2004
    Bergen, Norway
    Fascinating stuff. Keep those space articles coming.

As for name: I would like to see them named Chip 'n Dale... :D
  15. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

Sep 13, 2003
    Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    I vote for Lethe and Styx. The rivers around Hades.

As for Pluto being a planet I say no... It doesn't match Bode's law, It crosses the orbit of Neptune and after the discovery of Sedna its not even an unusual KBO...
  16. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    I say call one iMoon and the other PowerMoon. iMoon can be whiter than PowerMoon but it won't orbit nearly as fast. PowerMoon will be prone to denting from flying asteroids whereas iMoon will be nearly indestructible.

Both moons will be converting to a different mineral base some time in the next year, the iMoon doing it first.
  17. EGT macrumors 68000

Sep 4, 2003
    Ahhh very good ;)
  18. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Feb 14, 2004
    Since they're the farthest away and take the longest time to reach, I propose we name them Longhorn and Vista.
  19. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

Categorizing is what humans and scientists in particular do. Sometimes the universe doesn't fall into nice little pockets.

The more we learn, the less we know, and Pluto isn't going to care less if it's a planet or a trans-Neptunian object. It'll still be the same icy world, orbiting the same orbit it has since we discovered it.

Pluto is Pluto.
  20. jsw Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    I am just amazed - even knowing how it's done - that we can detect something that small that far away. Light takes an average of, what, 8 hours to get here from there, and we detect objects as small - potentially - as 30 miles across at that distance.

21. emw macrumors G4

Aug 2, 2004
    This is very fascinating. You've got to think there are probably more moons out there in our own solar system that we have yet to find. It's a big area.

As for the size, finding something that small is wild, but considering we've identified planets around suns that are light-years away, this is probably pretty "easy".
  22. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

I'm not sure what's more amazing, that we can focus on an object so far away and so tiny, or that the sheer emptiness of space doesn't pack enough dust in 3 billion miles to obscure something so tiny and far away.

8 hours away riding piggyback on a photon... Speeds and distances such as this are so difficult for the average person to visualize and that is why so many people believe in UFOs and think that we'll be traveling to other stars in the next couple of centuries.
  23. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

Jupiter and Saturn continue to give up moons. We have at least 139 in our solar system right now!

We've inferred the existence of planets around distant stars by the wobbles they create, but I don't think we've actually imaged any... yet.
  24. wordmunger macrumors 603

Sep 3, 2003
    North Carolina
    If that's what bothers you about scientists, you may as well give up on science. Science is constantly changing as our awareness of the universe changes. I think the original discoverers of Pluto just got excited that they found something new orbiting the Sun, and made a mistake by categorizing it as a planet. We're all used to thinking of nine planets, so it's been a tougher task for scientists to convince us that Pluto isn't a planet.

It's kinda like how the guy who named the "brontosaurus" made a mistake and didn't realize there was already a name for it -- "apatasaurus." But "brontosaurus" was already in all the textbooks, and we still have a tough time convincing people that the real name is "apatasaurus."
  25. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

The brontosaurus didn't just have the wrong name, it had the wrong head!