Two more suspected bombers arrested in London

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by skunk, Jul 29, 2005.

1. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4727975.stm

Looks like things are moving ahead quite smartly here.

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

the simple step of recognizing it as a police matter gives you a nice headstart.

3. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

You guys can't think of a single country you'd like to invade? Now's the time...

4. skunk thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

The last one has just been arrested in Rome. How the hell he got out of the country is a bit of a mystery.

5. skunk thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

We seem to be in the process of uninvading Ireland, as it happens. Whatever next?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/4726249.stm

6. Dave00 macrumors 6502a

[posted elsewhere before I realized there was already a thread]

The amount of international cooperation on this one has been phenomenal, probably unprecedented. One July 21 bomber arrested in Italy, the other 3 in England, and suspects detained in Zambia and Pakistan, among other places. I have to admit I never thought all four would be taken alive. Hopefully all their associates, especially the person responsible for the "5th bomb", are also in custody or will be soon. A great day for the civilized world. Hopefully they'll get this Aswat character soon too (is that pronounced like it seems like it should be?)

Dave

7. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Presumably before they released the CCTV images which wasn't til Friday pm? Late flight on Thursday evening or early on Friday morning and you'd be OK if they've got no names to look out for... and of course, you've packed any sharp or dangerous objects in your hold baggage. ;)

EDIT - OK so he only left London 2 days ago and went via Paris. What was the Eurostar check-in person thinking? I assume that even though a name wasn't public, the ports would have had a list of suspects. :confused:

8. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

Well that was amazingly quick!

I think its fair to say if they are indeed the suspected bombers and go to jail, they'll be in for a hard time. Can't say I'd lose much sleep over that if indeed they were planning on killing people.

9. Peyote macrumors 6502a

Peyote

HAHAHAHA

post of the month!

10. absolut_mac macrumors 6502a

absolut_mac

Remember that they only had his picture from a CCTV to go on for the first couple of days, no names were available then, and it wasn't exactly a high resolution shot to start off with.

On the other hand, if someone with keen eyesight had been following the news, he might have been caught while trying to skip the country.

Still, you have to hand it to the Brits for excellent police work (although it's sad about the Brazilian guy) and to the Europeans for some outstanding international cooperation.

IMHO, this type of cooperation and sharing of vital terrorist info is the only way to keep us all safe, regardless of which country we live in.

11. iGav macrumors G3

Off with their heads, and stick em' on some spikes at The Tower.

12. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

LOL! Old skool justice..

13. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

Extraordinary admission to interrogators by London bomb suspect

link

14. skunk thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

15. Dave00 macrumors 6502a

Argument doesn't hold water. There is much evidence both that there were connections between the July 7/July 21 bombers, and that the bombs were indeed intended to go off.

(1) Similarities: The explosive - which is not easy to make - was the same. I believe (could be wrong on this one) they both had the whitewater rafting connection. Same London mosque.

(2) That they intended for the bombs to go off: there was eyewitness testimony that at least one of the bombers from 7/21 still had the backpack on when it went off, and testimony that he was surprised to still be alive. More testimony that another cursed when there was no explosion.

It's interesting that all this stuff has been leaked to the press by the one bomber's Italian court-appointed attorney. Smacks of an effort to avoid extradition. Don't believe a word of it.

16. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

He's going to say "Don't forget to format text properly, and stop calling me a b-liar."

17. skunk thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

Fair enough.
    :(

18. skunk thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

If it's the same kind of evidence that said the Brazilian was wearing a padded jacket and vaulted the barrier, it's open to question.

19. Nickygoat macrumors 6502a

Nickygoat

According to the news the dets were of the same variety (not going to post what). This particular type is difficult to make and has a short shelf life. I had some explosives training (not in Afghanistan ;) ) and this particular one is a b**** to handle - it deserves it's nickname (Mother of Satan). There are more common. more reliable dets available if you have the know how or contacts. The use of the same material in a relatively short space of time suggests, but not confirms, a link. Eg the IRA never used this type of detonator, nor have any other terrorist groups except Al-Qaeda affiliates.
    Osman is claiming not to have any links with Al-Qaeda but had access to web materials from them. His story is that they were never designed to take life just scare people. My take? They were designed to emulate 7/7 but the men involved were incompetent - MoS has a life of 7 days and they waited 14.

20. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

Why bother taking off the heads? They should just skip to the "stick em' on some spikes" part.

21. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic