Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mal

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Hey, just wanted to check on an issue that we're having and see if it's unavoidable or if there's a workaround. We have two servers running on the same network, and they're really only running as servers to provide one service, which is NetBoot/NetInstall images for the computers we service (we're an Apple Service Center). Because having 10.5 and 10.6 as NetInstall images is something that would make a huge difference in our repair time, we wanted to have both servers running at the same time (since you can't use 10.5 Server for a 10.6 NetInstall image and vice-versa), but in the bootpicker (with the option key held down at startup), we only see one or the other, usually defaulting to the 10.5 Server. Once a particular machine has been booted from both, it will then usually show both in the bootpicker, but that's a hassle we don't really want. Is there something we can do to simplify the process and/or make the machines actually see both servers properly? This isn't my area of expertise by a long shot, though I did get them both up and running in their current state.

jW

Mal

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Yeah, Startup Disk shows them both, and if it boots to the 10.5 Installer image, then I can use that to get to the other, or vice-versa, but it's an extra hassle and extra time, which costs us.

I'll look into DeployStudio, that may be helpful. One of the things we run, though, is an Apple diagnostic system that requires it to be available via the standard NetBoot setup. I dunno if that will be an issue to integrate.

jW

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.