Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The next-generation iPhone will launch on September 6th, according to German Apple website iFun [Google Translate]. The site does not have a significant track record with this sort of prediction, however.

Earlier this week, KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said the low-cost iPhone and the iPad 5 would ship in early September with the iPhone 5S coming later because of production difficulties. Kuo has had an excellent track record in recent years. A ramp in production of the iPhone 5S at the end of this month was reported by a number of parties last week.

Rendered mockup of lower-cost plastic iPhone front and back
Additionally, iFun claims two new "device types" will be introduced, likely an iPhone 5S and a new low-cost iPhone with a plastic backing that has been extensively rumored.

During Apple's earnings call this week, CFO Peter Oppenheimer said that Apple would have a "very busy fall" and said he would go into more detail "in October". It isn't clear whether he meant because new products would be launching then or because that's when the next earnings call will take place.

Update: The Loop's Jim Dalrymple has put an end to this rumor with a simple, "Nope."

Article Link: Two New iPhone Models to Be Introduced on September 6th? [Updated]

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
someones after some website hits!

Sept 6th is a Friday.. so they would have to have the event the week before? Can't see that happening.

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
September 6th is Friday. Apple would never in a million years have a press conference at the end of the week. A more accurate date based on previous iPhone announcements, I would say the second week of September.

Pegamush

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2011
I think it'd be more likely September 9th. The Monday after the BTS promotion ends. Just a guess though.

D.

why not a weekend special sale? i don't know what they did in the past, but it could makes sense, waiting in line at apple stores on a weekend.. i could see thousands of people doing it!
no, but actually, weren't iphone sales usually announced 2-3 weeks before the launch date? so that everyone could pack things up in advance to camp in front of the stores?
anyway, who cares? i don't see major things coming to the 5s, the lite looks fine, it will just be overpriced compared to several (dare i to pronounce that word..) android phones.

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
iFun don't have a significant track record but their last claim was right.

They said iOS 6.1.2 would be released "next week, before Wednesday" on February 15th. It ended up being released on February 19th, the Tuesday after that claim.

That doesn't add that much credibility to their claims in regard to hardware, but at least that's something. They say they get information from carriers. I believe them more than the BS analysts constantly come up with, weird that this is only on the iOS blog.

Last edited:

darkslide29

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2011
San Francisco, California
someones after some website hits!

Sept 6th is a Friday.. so they would have to have the event the week before? Can't see that happening.

Yeah usually that would mean an announcement on the Tuesday (10 days) before, with preorders starting Friday (7 days before).
At least that's how I remember ordering a couple of my own iPhones.
But I know what you mean, that sounds way too soon. Announcement in August?

----------

Less than a year later?

They would never do that.

iPhone 4S was released on Oct 14, 2011.
iPhone 5 was released on Sep 21 2012.

If the iPhone 5S is released in early September, it would be in line with this timeline.
However, my personal sentiment is that it feels too early.
(Not sure if I bit on a sarcastic remark :) )

Ventilatedbrain

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2012
I'm probably more excited for apple about the cheap iPhone more than the 5s.. I will be betting the 5s but I can't help but to be happy coz very often my friends ask me what to get their wives/kids/parents/friends .. The iphone 5 is too expensive and noone wants to buy a 2 year old device as a gift ..

Last edited:

darkslide29

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2011
San Francisco, California
I'm probably very excited for apple about the cheap iPhone more than the 5s.. I will be betting the 5s but I can't help but to be happy coz very often my friends ask me for phone gifts .. The iphone 5 is too expensive and noone wants to buy a 2 year old device as a gift ..

It won't be as cheap as you are hoping. The words cheap and affordable are being thrown around very loosely.

I am guessing too, but this is what I gather from comments that make the most sense..
If an iPhone 5S is, say $650, then the 'cheap' iPhone will be, I don't know, $400-450? Really probably not any cheaper than it would cost to get something like a 4S today, contract free.

This could allow Apple to discontinue the 4 and 4s, and stick with just two models that are both 4" and lightning connector. That, and take back control of their profit margins since many consumers are probably going after the 3.5inch models on contract, cheaply.
The 5S will be $199 on Contract as expected, and the cheap one will be free (or $99?), on contract. But still not as cheap off-contract as some think cheap should be.

And I am glad their cheap model is looking like it is shaping up rather nicely. I don't want them to start a race to the bottom in price, which would take away from quality.

But what do I know.. :confused:

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.