Two Octaves in Garageband

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by pressx2select, Jun 18, 2013.

1. macrumors newbie

Dec 28, 2008
    Long time lurker here wanting to see if anyone has some thoughts on this. You guys always have some awesome ideas and conversations in this forum so I figured I'd pick your brains.

When using Garageband for keyboard typing I've always thought it was annoying that you could only really type one octave at a time. I was wondering if there's anyway to plug in a second usb keyboard and trick the computer into thinking it was a midi keyboard and modifying it to be able to produce two octaves. Ultimately you'd be using the keyboard something like the crude drawing I made.

The main reason I'm asking is because I have a bunch of old USB keyboards that would be great for this but I don't have any Midi Keyboards.
  2. macrumors 68000

Feb 21, 2012
    New Jersey Pine Barrens
    Wouldn't a real keyboard be better? I see new 2 octave keyboards for as little as $48 and used ones for $30 on the Guitar Center website, for example.
  3. macrumors 6502a

Mar 1, 2011
    Canada! \m/
    I'm not aware of any method to do this.

But you can definitely buy a cheap midi keyboard nowadays that will give you a few (or more) octaves, and the midi keyboard will give you a much better "feel" while playing, and control over note velocity, etc. :)