Two questions

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ThatGirl, Sep 19, 2004.

1. ThatGirl macrumors regular

I want to ask about two things, but don't know if I should start two new threads, so please be patient if I made the incorrect choice. :)

My first question is this:
    I have used the full version of Fast Copy DVD successfully, one time. After that, when I try to start it up, the icon appears in the dock for a second, and then disappears. The program will not start up. It is not a trial version.
    I am on an iMac G4, using Jaguar. Everything else seems to be working fine. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

My second question is:
    Does anyone know where I might find a sparkly red font?

Thanks,
    TG

2. Invizzible macrumors regular

3. Sharewaredemon macrumors 68000

Sharewaredemon

The problem with the bouncing icon has happened to me before as well.
    It first happened with iMovie, I tried opening it and it would bounce then stop bouncing and not open. I called apple they had me do numerous things, none of which fixed it, so finally they had me reinstall the os.
    This fixed it, but then a week later it happened to a different programme.

So... you may want to run diagnostics on your computer, but if you can, try re-installing the programme.

4. Invizzible macrumors regular

Is it only happening with that one application? I know that if a hard drive is almost completely full, it can cause applications to beginning opening and then immediately close.

5. ThatGirl thread starter macrumors regular

So far, it is only happening with that one application. There is a little over 17 gigs free on the hardrive.

I've tried a fresh copy of the program. It did the same thing.

Is there a way to reinstall the system software without erasing the whole harddrive first?

Thanks.

6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

try this: delete the program, and delete the preferences and recipts for it as well, and start from scratch again, if you just deleted it and reinstalled it the prefs could be the problem

7. ThatGirl thread starter macrumors regular

I couldn't find any Preferences for it in the Preferences folder. I don't know what "recipts" are. Where would I find that?

Thanks.

8. slughead macrumors 68030

slughead

9. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

There is probably a preferences file for it somewhere. Just trash that, you shouldn't have to reinstall.

10. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

easiest way to find the prefs if you didnt see 'em is to do a searh on your harddrive through the finder using the app's name

11. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Receipts are generated any time you install something using Apple's Installer (by double-clicking a .pkg or .mpkg file that's not in the Receipts folder). All receipts are located in this folder: "/Library/Receipts" (without the quotes). The initial '/' refers to the top level of your system drive. The rest refers to a folder called "Library" there and a folder inside it called "Receipts". If the program you were using wasn't installed with Installer, there won't be a receipt for it.

12. ThatGirl thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, everyone, for your help. I found every shred I could of the program and deleted it. Then I restarted the computer. I loaded a fresh copy of the program. Even though I tried that before, this time it worked!

I'm really not sure why it worked this time. Probably just missed some piece the first time. Anyway, thanks, again.

13. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

As far as the bouncing icon goes - I'm still pretty new to Mac, after many years as a Windoze user, and that's happened to me a few times. Each time, it turned out that I just didn't realize how to install correctly. I'd download an app, it would appear to open and start working, I'd drag the icon to the dock and forget/not understand the app had to be dragged to the app-folder. I'd close the app, and only get the bouncing icon the next time I tried to open it.

Pretty basic, and you probably knew this, but I thought I'd mention it because it gave the same result. I'm lucky, I've got a brother who can figure it all out for me...