Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

parseckadet

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 13, 2010
Denver, CO
They're doing the whole thing where you have to sign up for auto-renewal in order to get the free trial. Seriously Apple? That is the most tacky move that new services use to con customers out of a few bucks when they forget to turn the auto-renew off. I expected better of Apple. I'm not even going to try Apple Music now because this just strikes me as a money grab. Two seconds in and Apple has ALREADY lost me as a customer.

Reactions: AleXXXa

parseckadet

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 13, 2010
Denver, CO
Just be an adult and take some responsibility. Write it down, set a reminder or make it on a calendar.

Just don't forget about it?

Responsibility is hard.

Three free months of streaming music and you complain about having to remember about not renewing your subscription? #firstworldproblems

I should have known people would misconstrue my point into something that makes me sound immature. I'm perfectly capable of remembering to turn the auto-renew off. The point I was trying to make is that I'm disappointed that Apple has stooped to this level gimmickry. If Apple were truly confident that what they were offering was exceptional, they wouldn't have to resort to games like this. Instead they would just offer the free trial and be certain that people would fall in love with it and pay for it on their own when the time came. If Apple has so little faith in their service that they have to play this game, then I'm not going to waste my time with it.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
I should have known people would misconstrue my point into something that makes me sound immature. I'm perfectly capable of remembering to turn the auto-renew off. The point I was trying to make is that I'm disappointed that Apple has stooped to this level gimmickry. If Apple were truly confident that what they were offering was exceptional, they wouldn't have to resort to games like this. Instead they would just offer the free trial and be certain that people would fall in love with it and pay for it on their own when the time came. If Apple has so little faith in their service that they have to play this game, then I'm not going to waste my time with it.
You should have quit Apple long ago.
This is how all the trials through their system operate.
Ah well, your loss, don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Reactions: Blujelly

Soni Sanjay

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2013

It sounds like a grown man complaining for something that it's standard practice. They do the same for iTunes Match... If it is that BIG of a problem to you, then cancel it right now. Literally, you can turn off auto-renew a minute after signing up... BTW... Spotify, Rdio, Google Play Music... they all do the same thing.

parseckadet

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 13, 2010
Denver, CO
You should have quit Apple long ago.
This is how all the trials through their system operate.
Ah well, your loss, don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Sorry, but which trials are those? You sign up for iCloud and you get everything for free, including 5GB of storage. You only pay if you want more storage. They don't give you 20GB free for a month, force you to give them your credit card, and then auto charge your card after that. The closest thing iTunes Match offers to a trial is always having the ability to download iTunes purchased content. Again, that's not conditional on you signing up for an auto-renewing service.

parseckadet

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 13, 2010
Denver, CO
I have never, ever heard of a company NOT doing that for free trials.

It sounds like a grown man complaining for something that it's standard practice. They do the same for iTunes Match... If it is that BIG of a problem to you, then cancel it right now. Literally, you can turn off auto-renew a minute after signing up... BTW... Spotify, Rdio, Google Play Music... they all do the same thing.

Is it so wrong to hope that Apple would have done things better? Whatever happened to Think Different?

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
Sorry, but which trials are those? You sign up for iCloud and you get everything for free, including 5GB of storage. You only pay if you want more storage. They don't give you 20GB free for a month, force you to give them your credit card, and then auto charge your card after that. The closest thing iTunes Match offers to a trial is always having the ability to download iTunes purchased content. Again, that's not conditional on you signing up for an auto-renewing service.

That's because iCloud has a free tier, Apple Music is not free in the first place. A lot of services that do not have a free tier usually turn on auto-renew by default, this is a smart business move meant to support the free tier revenue from people who forgot to turn off to renew.

You don't have to like it, Apple's reputation won't be hurt by this because investors actually expect these to be on by default as Apple is in the business to make money, nothing more.

Go and use a different music service that respects your "opinion" on this. Vote with your money, not about something that's not going to change unless we have a federal law that bans this.

Reactions: Jazwire

Soni Sanjay

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2013
Is it so wrong to hope that Apple would have done things better? Whatever happened to Think Different?

Dude, they are offering a 3 month free trial (which is excessive IMO, but good for them) for you to test the service, auto-renew is a standard practice, of course some people MIGHT forget about it, but if it is such a big issue to you then why not just turn auto-renew off right now? As I said, all services do this. I honestly think you are overreacting, but that's just me... In the time you wasted creating this thread, you could have already cancelled your subscription. I would be cool to start the trial right away, with no credit card required, but is not a deal breaker at all. Again, IMO.

Reactions: jbachandouris

flur

macrumors 68020
Nov 12, 2012
I'm not even going to try Apple Music now because this just strikes me as a money grab. Two seconds in and Apple has ALREADY lost me as a customer.

It sounds as if you never wanted to be a customer to begin with, you just wanted 3 months of free music. Just sayin'. And unless you've never bought an app, they probably already have your credit card, you just have to agree to the subscription.

IMO it's much more shady that they changed the ToS and didn't post/summarize the new terms for Apple Music at the top, they're making us hunt through 70+ pages (on the iphone) to find the new terms.

Sheza

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2010
This is more common than a Chav smoking weed in Hyde Park. Honestly mate, everyone does this and Apple were upfront about it. Just turn off auto renewal. You have three whole months to do it.

Blujelly

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2012
South East England
this happens across all free trails, example Amazon Prime.

I'm pretty certain you could probable turn off auto-renew on your apple account just like anything you have from Apple i.e iTunes match.

Im pretty certain you could turn it off now so you don't get charged. If not ask Siri to set up a reminder the night before to turn off? be a bit more productive with your device maybe?

TsMkLg068426

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2009
They're doing the whole thing where you have to sign up for auto-renewal in order to get the free trial. Seriously Apple? That is the most tacky move that new services use to con customers out of a few bucks when they forget to turn the auto-renew off. I expected better of Apple. I'm not even going to try Apple Music now because this just strikes me as a money grab. Two seconds in and Apple has ALREADY lost me as a customer.

Why are you trying to steal from Apple? Stop being lazy and cancel when time gets near if can not than you FAIL.

teidon

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2009
The reason number of services asks for CC is is that if they didn't you could just create infinite number of free trial accounts one after another. That would effectively mean that you could use the service for free for the rest of your life. But by asking a CC they expect that you don't have a supply of infinite CCs and as such you only get one free trial (or few) and after that you either pay or stop using the service.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.