Two seperate Video Cards possible?

Discussion in 'Games' started by RMD68, Jan 28, 2007.

1. RMD68 macrumors 6502

Jan 7, 2007
    This may be a noob question or a semi-noob question but I was wondering if it would be possible to run two entirely separate video cards. For example, Apple doesn't have a huge selection of video cards that are available and the ones that are available aren't quite up to par with the windows compatible ones for gaming. So I was wondering if you were to buy a MacPro, that is intel based allowing you to run windows, if it would be possible to have the Apple compatible Video Card running when you are in OSX and the windows compatible gaming card running when you are in Windows gaming. If this is possible it could be quite interesting. Any help is appreciated.
  2. Spartacus macrumors member

Nov 28, 2004
    Yes this is possible, but I wouldn't recommend getting a dedicated Windows card that is incompatible with OSX like the new DX10 cards, because that would require you to unplug and then plug-in your monitor's cable everytime you booted into windows.

OSX already supports multiple video cards running at the same time, but each one has to be dedicated to it's own screen. As far as I know, OSX doesn't have any support for SLI, Crossfire, or anything like that. Why would one need their own video card for each monitor? Well, when one card is used for two screens it splits its available memory down the middle, which hinders its ability to render a graphical image...which wouldn't really matter aside from the rare case of heavy multi-screen graphical task usage.

What am I trying to say? Stick with OSX compatible video cards for maximum useability and support. If it doesn't play nice with OSX you're going to have a headache while running OSX...but I do think you can use any card you want in Windows, and there are even people cracking the 'Windows only' GPU's to run in it or something :p

Personally I don't really see a reason to have one graphic card per monitor if you just want more of a screen canvass (unless you were planning on using 3+ displays). And I also don't really see a reason to need more than one graphics card for gaming unless they can work together to output one image (ie SLI/Crossfire). OSX doesn't support this though, and I don't think the motherboard on the MacPro's allows it, either. Correct me if I'm wrong people...