Two simple finder questions...

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by ddtlm, Jun 4, 2003.

1. ddtlm macrumors 65816

I have two big complaints about the Finder that I would like to do a "stupid check" on:

1) Is there any way to directly refresh a file list, such as pressing F5 in Windows? This annoys me from time to time.

2) Is there any way to select two files in a list that are not contiguous? No keys that I have tried do this.

Thanks. :)

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

1) Not found one.

2) Try the command (Apple) key when you are clicking on the second item.

3. Stike macrumors 65816

Stike

1) Finder windows refresh if you click OUTSIDE of the window (other window or desktop) and then click back on the Finder window.

Automatic refreshing every some seconds or so would be cool anyway... hmm :rolleyes:

4. benixau macrumors 65816

benixau

no it wouldn't. too much cpu usage. should do it the windows way. If a window at that directory is open then it is refreshed there and then.

5. Porshuh944turbo macrumors 6502

Are you sure that the Finder (in os X) doesn't do auto refreshing???

I could have sworn (not at mac now) that when downloaded a file for instance into a folder that is already open, that the file pops up without me refresshing it...

6. zarathustra macrumors 6502a

zarathustra

I believe OSX does auto refresh - when I copy files into a folder, I can actually see the folder size grow in the status bar. You can also refresh it by going to View->Clean Up.

7. yzedf macrumors 65816

yzedf

I think by auto-refresh they mean every 10 seconds, or whatever you would want. That would just create more overhead, slowing the GUI's responsiveness even more. Adding files and list grows longer is "smart refresh" for lack of proper terminology.

XP is a true multi-user OS. OS X is also.

Memory management (in / out / swap) in XP is still not ideal. OS X is better, but it still needs too much memory for what it does.

I also prefer that in XP you can turn off the bubble gum GUI look (revert to win98 style) to increase performance if wanted / needed, whereas in OS X there is no such option.

8. kylos macrumors 6502a

kylos

The only time I have a problem with files not appearing is when I create a file in Terminal. It doesn't always show up right away, even if I open a new finder window.

9. Sloth macrumors newbie

It would be really nice if Mac OS X would allow you to go back to the Classic look. The Aqua interface is nice, but sometimes, I'm just in a Classic mood. Ya know?:)

10. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

wow that was off topic...
    try using a themer like duality

back to refreshing the finder...
    i also find it quite annoying when i'm looking at a window and things aren't there that were just placed or moved there, but clicking on the window always seems to make it refresh.