Two Steps Forward, Two Steps Back: Bob's Predictions for 20...

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Jan 3, 2004.

1. macrumors bot

2. macrumors 68030

Flowbee

Is this a joke?

3. arn
    macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

heh

dunno... half of his predictions are on the order of "time will continue to march forward"

arn

4. macrumors 6502a

simX

No kidding. This guy seems to have an attitude of presumptuousness, and then he just makes a bunch of vague predictions. For example, is it REALLY that hard to say that we won't see a PowerMac G6 in 2004? I mean, get a life already. That's like saying that Microsoft won't ship Longhorn in 2004. :rolleyes:

5. macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Yikes that's true. Software patents rear their ugly heads again.

This will NOT come true regarding Wallmart. $.88 cent tracks mean nothing to me and frankly I doubt the typical Wal-mart customer is frankly all that savvy to have portable Digimusic players become frequent downloaders. Cringley look at the Clientele before you make this bold claim. Video iPods are not going to happen. Every video device with less than a 3" screen has gone nowhere. 2004 will not be any different.

They will sell enough. Look for 2004 to be the year of Apple Software. By years end I expect no more than 4 new Apple applications that don't exist today. Apple finally realize that software is the glue that will keep the hardware installed in Edu and Enterprise. Look for the further erosion of the relationship between Apple and Adobe.

Apple will make another Music/DT Video acquisition. There are plenty of companies on the "selling block" and Apple will dig deep and grab at least one. Purchasing Alias from SGI would be nice or Discreet for video.

2004 is going to be about positioning. I don't expect much grounbreaking things. Many companies had to fight to survive the last two years. We will see economic and HiTech growth this year and the big projects will come back.

6. macrumors 68000

latergator116

Im not sure of a company that releases new major processor's a year after another.

7. macrumors 68000

latergator116

Doesnt' he mean taken over by 802.11b? 802.11g hasn't really TAKEN OVER anything yet.

8. Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I think he means that G is more popular than A, even though it's nowhere near as popular as B.

Remember, B came before A.

9. macrumors 68000

latergator116

Oops. I forgot the fact that b came before a. I just knew that a was a flop.

10. macrumors regular

eh..I don't like this guy...his predictions don't impress me too much..

11. macrumors 604

MrMacMan

This guys apple predictions are a little... weak.

He also says Linux will either be doomed... or grow... SCO means nothing they have no case.

The 'G6' wasn't coming soon anyway.

The Cell processor... might come.

Wal-Mart's Customers don't buy iPods really anyway... (nor other devices)... its middle america, AOL'ers and 56k rules.

No.

12. macrumors 6502

Robert Cringely seems to be very knowledgeable in the business and political side of the tech industry, but not at all on the actual products or on the consumer.

Here's hoping to a great 2004 for Apple!

--Waluigi