Two Tiger Questions

Discussion in 'macOS' started by avalys, Mar 31, 2005.

1. avalys macrumors 6502

1) Will Tiger include the iLife 04 apps? I'm asking because I want to do a fresh install of Tiger, and I don't want to have to have to install Panther/iLife 04 from my Powerbook's restore CDs before I do that.

2) Anyone know any details of the OS X "Family Pack" that I've heard mentioned? Something like an extra $50 on top of the base price, and you can install OS X on up to five computers, instead of just one. Will this be offered for Tiger?

2. rendezvouscp macrumors 68000

1) No. Tiger will not include the iLife apps, or if it does, the ones that were included with Panther (iPhoto 2, etc.).
    It's fairly easy to use the Restore software to install just the iLife apps after you install Tiger. That'd be the way to go.

2) Yes. For $199 you'll be able to buy 5 licenses for Tiger, which can be installed across 5 computers within your household.
    -Chase

3. Bear macrumors G3

There should be a family Pack for Tiger, but we won't know for sure until Apple announces it.

You may want to consider upgrading to iLife'05 at some point. When you install Tiger it would be a perfect time to do that. Also, remember that iLife'05 also has the family pack option. A license for 5 computers in the same home.

4. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

Is it possible to install Tiger on multiple computers with the regular $129.99 box?

5. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

6. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

M$ is the only one that actually enforces it (Windows XP locks up if you install it on a second computer). Installing Tiger on multiple computers is easily doable, HOWEVER, it is specificly stated in the license agreement that you are NOT to do this. So it's illegal. The chances of you getting in trouble over this are slim to none (has ANYONE ever been tried for this?), but it's still technically illegal.

7. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

If I install the single user OS on 2 computers will both be able to work properly like receive updates etc.?

Please do not punch me, I'm just trying to get my facts straight. ;)

8. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Yes it will work perfectly. OS X installs are not serialized or activated in anyway. However, as mentioned it is illegal.

I think that their may be a clause for installing it on a desktop and a laptop if you are the single user of each and only use one at a time. Don't quote me on that though, I've only heard other speak of it, and have not read it in the EULA myself.

9. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

MS Office has that clause (the Mac version at least), but OSX does not. You can only legally have it installed on a single machine at once.

10. BWhaler macrumors 68020

BWhaler

Forget if you can or if it is legal.

Please don't do this. Apple is not Microsoft. Apple really innovates and are a good company.

We need to vote with our wallets and support good companies. Yes, Apple isn't perfect, but they do try. And for 50 bucks, you are supporting the good guys.

Finally, by buying the family packs you are giving Apple incentive to NOT put terrible MS tricks and lock-downs in their Operating system. Sooner or later, you get what you pay for.

I never used to buy the family packs, just the original copy. But I was wrong. For just a little more money you are doing right by the company which brings us so much good stuff and fun.

Please buy the family pack because it is simply the right thing to do, and Apple has earned that from us.

11. d.f macrumors regular

need to change pricing system....

Although the family pack is good value, i think they should allow you to buy extra licences at say 30% - 50% retail price.

If you use an existing mac as a home server for media files, or as is more likley, have a laptop for occasional use, you want ideally to have it all on the same OS.

having to buy a family pack is a bit too much for this. let's be honest, i think most people in this situation just install the one licence on both machines. if there was a cheaper and fairer 'additional licence pack', then a lot more people wouldn't cheat.

my 2 pence.

12. broken_keyboard macrumors 65816

broken_keyboard

New *Macs* come with iLife, not new OSes.
    You gotta buy some hardware

13. Bear macrumors G3

Done! Well almost - the family pack is 55% more than the single license and you get 5 licenses for home use in the family pack. (US Prices.)

The family pack is quite fair even if a person has only two machines. And the iLife Family Pack is only 25% more than the individual iLife pack.

Would you like some cheese to go with your whine?

14. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

yeah, OS X has absolutly no piracy protection :), i only ever use one panther install disk because it's a later edition (10.3.4) but i hold three copys.

15. Bear macrumors G3

Your post is not clear.

A new Mac comes with both the current iLife and the current version of Mac OS X. You make it sound like they ship Macs with old OS versions.

At most a software update will need to be run to get all the point updates loaded.

16. JeffTL macrumors 6502a

I'd suggest that people not engage in obvious breach of contract.

It's the easiest way to lose some $$$ in the civil courts if you ever do get sued.

17. broken_keyboard macrumors 65816

broken_keyboard

Oh... sorry. I thought I was posting for humans to read, not for computers to parse.

18. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Didn't want to make new thread, but sorta relates

Question:

Let's say your hard drive fails on a Mac (that's user-replaceable so let's say a PowerMac) and you have to get a new hard drive. How do you OS X on it? I know that sounds silly, but I read in another thread that the retail versions you buy at the stores of OS X are NOT the full version but rather upgrades; thus you need to have a previous version of OS X on your hard drive to install it. So if the hard drive is brand new with nothing on it how do you install OS X?

19. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You read the rantings of an idiot. If you pay $129 US ($69 US at education prices), then you get a full and complete installation of MacOS X.

20. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

I read it here starting at about post# ~85 and continuing from there.

21. Maedus macrumors regular

I've used the reformat with zeros option on my internal hard drive and then used the Mac OS X install discs to install Mac OS X. There's, I do believe, three types of installs for Mac OS X. Upgrade, Archive and Install, and Install. Upgrade does what it says. Archive and Install preserves your user settings and creates a new System folder (and preserves the older one) and Install is for hard drives that has nothing to upgrade or preserve.

:mad: The only problems I had was the dodgy graphics card in the G3 Beige conflicting in Jaguar.

I've also used XPostFacto under a partition that had Mac OS 9 to install Panther onto a 100% empty partition, which is another instance of installing Mac OS X onto an empty hard drive, though in the form of a partition.

And both Jaguar and Panther were bought from a store to be clear.

Oh, and now that I think about it, I've installed 10.0 on a blank hard drive before too. The only upgrade only OS X I've had was the 10.1 upgrade that Apple offered to 10.0 owners.

22. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

The family pack doesn't cover 5 computers if your family doesn't live in the same household. I'll have to buy 1 family pack and 1 single license (from Amazon for less) for a family member not living with me. I don't mind. I don't want the activiation feature to be one of those new 200 new features!

I'll be disappointed if the family pack doesn't go on sale at the same time. Probably the official announcement will happen after the Pope new blitz dies down.