Two Turntables And An iPhone: iDJ Live

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 7, 2011.

1. MacRumors, Jul 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2011

macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

Back in the day, DJ's needed to bring hundreds of CD's (or LP's, natch) along to a gig, because in the DJ game, one needs to be prepared. Nowadays, all a DJ needs is an iPhone and Numark's latest product, iDJ Live.

The rig hooks to your iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch via the 30-pin dock connector and interfaces with Algoriddim's djay app:
    iDJ Live is $99.95, find a dealer for more info.

djay for iPhone/iPod Touch is on sale for $0.99. [iTunes]

djay for iPad is $19.99. [iTunes]

Article Link: Two Turntables And An iPhone: iDJ Live
  2. macrumors newbie

Feb 26, 2011
  3. macrumors member

Mar 5, 2008
  4. macrumors 603

Jun 4, 2007
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Looks like the dj live device needs to be a little heavier seems to slide too much
  5. macrumors 68000

Jan 16, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Ha! :D
    While the headline & photo don't quite align, the device works with iPad, iPhone and iPod touch. So...
  6. Contributing Editor

Jun 2, 2011
    Durango, CO
    You're right! Fixed!
  7. macrumors 68000

Jan 16, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Good observation. It does look a bit light/flimsy.
    And the link to their site offers very little (eg: zero tech specs).
    For $100, I expect more info and a better build (yes, I realize I have not seen/touched one in person).
  8. macrumors 6502

Jun 18, 2009
    New York, New York
    It's a start at least, hopefully better thing pop up in the market

This is what all DJ's wanting to use a iPad for playing was waiting for
  9. macrumors newbie

Jul 7, 2011
    I'm sorry, but that noise gives respectable DJs a bad name.

DJs have been people who play music and host a show for years, society needs to come up with a different term for whatever you call that noise.

"A good DJ knows what you want to hear before you request it."
  10. macrumors 6502

Jan 30, 2007
    Inside the Machine (Green Bay, WI)
    Microwave DJs.
  11. macrumors 68020

Jun 18, 2009
    City of Angels
    You're not gonna be able to find any piece of gear with good build quality for $100.

12. macrumors 6502

Oct 27, 2007
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I want to learn basic beat matching and such....just for fun....where do I go? (be nice)
  13. macrumors newbie

Jun 7, 2007
    Numark is not known for professional grade DJ gear.

This definitely looks flimsy and a serious DJ would break that thing down in no time.

It will be interesting to see if the real manufacturers of prograde DJ gear come up with similar tools in the near future though.
  14. macrumors 68020

Mar 13, 2005
    Sadly its all a very distant second to real vinyl with a diamond needle. A good example of how technology can actually devolve some things.
  15. macrumors 65816

Jan 14, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
  16. macrumors regular

Mar 5, 2011
    There are many respectable DJ's who make a living playing this sort of thing and demonstrating higher levels of skill in mixing and scratching flawlessly to appreciative audiences.

Whilst I'm with you in that scratching is not my thing, dismissing it as simply "noise" is to me quite telling. You didn't really expect a master mix of Bach and Mozart or Simon & Garfunkel did you ?
  17. macrumors 65816

May 28, 2008
    Technology is awesome!Now for only $120.00 plus an iPhone you can make the most hideous godawful noise ever!
    Throw away that old chalkboard and save your fingernails!
  18. macrumors member

Jan 11, 2006
  19. macrumors regular

Dec 21, 2008
    Heh, I had that once when I was using my iPhone as a Keynote remote in a conference presentation.

Do remember to switch off the voice connection!
  20. macrumors 6502a

Jun 9, 2004
    London ish
    Then get two decks and spend £10/$10 per vinyl. Be my guest.

I spent £10,000 on my collection and it was fun at the time... But technology moves on. It's a great step in the right direction IMHO.

Joe (bored with vinyl purism)
  21. macrumors newbie

Wendell F

Sep 28, 2010
    So only radio DJ's are real DJ's? Dunno about that. Do people who spin records at weddings and clubs count? Plus -- "noise?" Listen to a real scratch DJ (Kid Koala, P-Love, DJ Q-bert) and tell me it's just "noise". This video is just someone working knobs on a toy.

I agree with you if you're just looking to play music and match beats. However, if you're looking for scratch turntableism, this can't sonically match a needle with vinyl. I'm not a purist for the sake of purism. A digital scratching sound placed over a juggling mp3 is not the same. Scratching a recording of a trumpet does not sound the same as scratching a spoken word when you're talking vinyl.

And, yes, I'm a curmudgeon. I spent years scratching, practicing bringing the record back to the same spot over and over while working the fader. The button on these types of controllers that cues you to a start point is cheating. :p
  22. macrumors 6502a

Jun 9, 2004
    London ish
    Are you saying that the scratching on these devices is just a sound effect? The scratching sound you are hearing has been generated from the sample information and is directly emulating what it would sound like to scratch the same audio on vinyl. What's the difference (bar the "warm" additional sound vinyl gives)?

I don't see the guy in the video "cheating". And if you're not any good, people are going to spot you're no good. Just because technology is helping you it's not the be-all and end-all.

It's like people saying "electronic music is not real music" all over again. Embrace the future! :)
  23. macrumors 68020

Mar 13, 2005
    Sounds to me like you were more a trendy type collector. You're certainly missing the whole point. You've devolved yourself. Is that wise? Is that fair to yourself to have such horrible devolved standards? I don't think so.

Not everything on earth needs to evolve. Also, how is it evolution when the end result sounds like garbage? Do you actually think this flimsy plastic piece of junk can legitimately replace the real thing with any level of quality?

It's truly sad how easily people accept 2nd or even 3rd rate junk as a legitimate answer to fill a need. I would hope that Mac people would have higher standards.
  24. macrumors 6502a

Jun 9, 2004
    London ish
    Trendy type collector? No, I played nightclubs. I needed records, so I bought them. I also enjoyed having a good collection. I still enjoy that collection, but I do also have a lot of stuff I no longer listen to which I'm selling off on Discogs. I'm happy that others are getting the enjoyment out of them I once did. :)

I still love vinyl, I just hate it when people refuse to embrace digital technology. In some ways it doesn't have the flexibility of vinyl, but it is catching up. Why not have both?

Are you saying Traktor Scratch Pro is garbage, or just this iDJ thing? I'm no scratch expert, but what I've seen people do using digital equipment sounds incredibly good.

Fill a need? Why can't people use it because they feel it is right for them? Just because you want to scratch with vinyl, why should everyone else?
  25. zen.state, Jul 8, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2011

macrumors 68020

Mar 13, 2005
    Let me just make it clear that I embrace technology very much and make my living as a computer tech. It's only really DJing that I stay true to the old ways.

So I don't seem like a fraud I am including a snap shot of my setup. I spin mostly Reggae and Dub but also some Hip Hop and Trip Hop.:

Dual Tech 12's and a Stanton mixer.