two US soldiers face court martials for marrying iraqi women

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Nov 1, 2003.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

link

2. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Shut up and support our troops. Unless they fall in love with the enemy (they're all terrorists, right?).

3. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I was wondering when we were going to start seeing some AWOLs. Probably pretty hard to make one's way from Iraq to the US but hey, when you're back in the US it must be pretty darned tempting to stay there. Can't say I blame them really. I wonder how Canada's new conservative and let's all toady to gw, govt. feels about deserters this time around?

4. Desertrat macrumors newbie

I never really saw the reasoning for non-fraternization. It totally flies in the face of human nature. You'd think that after WW II when it didn't work worth a hoot that they'd have given up on such foolishness...

Ugg, remember that all these AWOL types were volunteers, not draftees. You raise your little paddy-paw and swear, "I do," you really oughta. And "I do." in the military does indeed mean killing people and breaking things and doing it under miserable conditions. Any way you cut it, these guys wimped out.

For those who had figured out they'd made a mistake by joining up, there were legal and honorable ways to get out. I have no problem with those guys who figured they'd done a Wrong Thing by joining up. However, once the orders are cut to climb on that Big Iron Bird, it's too late.

'Rat

5. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

You're absolutely right on all counts, but the fact remains that in all wars ever fought people have gone AWOL. The conditions of that war will dictate the level of AWOLism. I wonder how high it will go this time?

6. Desertrat macrumors newbie

I'd guess that the AWOL rate will be less than in the past. The tours of overseas duty are generally shorter, and the guys are, after all, volunteers...

'Rat

7. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Maybe so but this war has the highest percentage of reservists and guards. The rules have changed and not everyone is happy about it. I think what will be the major turning point is when they are told that their tours will be extended. I've no doubt that that will happen as the attacks seem to be growing in intensity as today's helicopter attack shows.

Training the Iraqis to take over some of the duties will help, but today I see that Bremer wants to bring back entire sections of Saddam's military. These are the guys who were fired without so much as a by your leave earlier this year and have been unemployed ever since. Who do you think their loyalty will be towards, the Americans who treat them like disposables or the growing anti-US forces within Iraq?

Can you say quagmire?

8. Desertrat macrumors newbie

A lot of those Reservists and Guards have been having fun with war toys and getting paid for it, for years. While the majority have done it from a sense of duty, I still have zero sympathy for any who now resent fulfilling that duty.

Reminds me of the Marine in Desert Storm, who whined that he hadn't joined the Corps to actually go fight; he'd joined up for the educational benefits accruing to his service.

That's why there you have a TS card: You go to the Chaplain and let him punch it. :D

'Rat

9. coolsoldier macrumors 6502

This is crazy...

You're going to put a bunch of 18-24 year old guys in a foreign country for a year and expect none of them to fall in love???

Not to mention, doesn't this kind of fly in the face of all of the "freedom" stuff? Come on, they should be able to marry whoever they want...