Two version of GT:HD for PS3 - crippled and REALLY crippled.

Discussion in 'Games' started by LukeW, Sep 21, 2006.

1. LukeW macrumors member

Just read this story-

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3153775

Gran Turismo HD: Two Versions, Tons Microtransactions
    Famitsu reports a brand new model for Gran Turismo on PS3.

There's horse armor and then there's the kind of microtransactions that Famitsu is reporting (via: Beyond3D and the vitriolic NeoGAF). According to the Famitsu inteview with Kazunori Yamauchi, Gran Turismo HD will have two SKUs on the PS3. One of these games will ship with no cars, all of them will be purchased via microtransactions.
    The other, Gran Turismo HD: Premium, will ship with two courses and 30 cars, with an additional 30 cars and an additional two courses online at a later date. The Premium game is being considered a prologue to the PS3's eventual Gran Turismo 5.

The microtransaction-focused game, Gran Turismo HD: Classic will be the online-focused entrant into the GT-series. In this game, players will (reportedly) start with no cars or courses available to them. Instead, they will need to purchase their stable of cars and courses to race on. The pricing reported in the Famitsu piece indicated that cars would cost between 50-100 yen ($0.43-$0.85) and courses between 200-500 yen ($1.71-$4.26). There are approximiately 750 cars and 50 tracks available for purchase in the GT: HD Classic. Let's do the math:

750 cars for $0.50-$1.00 (Sony will round-up, don't you think?)
    50 tracks for $1.50-$4.50
    A complete copy of the game will cost gamers somewhere between $426.50 and $975, and that's without factoring in whatever Sony decides to charge for the menus (since that's all you'll get with GT HD: Classic).

Why bother unlocking cars and tracks when you can just buy them? What the hell do you get to do in the game then? Do Sony care or do they just want your money?

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Disclaimer The following message is only valid if this translation turns out to be true

bloody hell. What have we come to?

It does make sense from a business point of view too, which is the scary thing. I mean this really doesn't bother me at all as I don't play racing sim games.
    Good luck to Sony on this. It's not a good system to gamers frankly. If I was a developer I'd rather reward skill with new cars than having to charge for them.

3. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

:mad: well this may seem unlikely, but chances are there is some truth to this.

:eek: Look at EA's recent announcements.

Fifa 07 on xbox 360 will ship with only half the teams and stadiums of the ps2 & xbox versions with EA charging you to download them

EA are also planning on charging a subscription to play Burnout 5 online.

Looks like publishers are warming to downloadable content which is good, but not in these Greedy Bastard ways.

Seems like not only do they want to charge us more for the game, but they want to rip all the stuff out of it and charge us extra for the privillege of putting it back in.

DAMN THIS GREEDY GENERATION. Only thing we can do is say NO and refuse to purchase these games, period.... If noone buys the game, publishers wont put these crippled rubbish out there.

4. AoWolf macrumors 6502a

AoWolf

Screw cheat codes we will just make people pay!!

The good news here: This will all be pirateable you know it will. Some one will find a way..

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'm dead against piracy but if this goes through then yaaargh maties where can i buy ye modchip.

no way in hell am I buying crippled versions of games and paying for what I want extra. games should not work like that.

6. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Do you know whats really really bad about this.

Sony take a $20 1080i capable PS2 title

Slightly up the res to 1080p (which most people will never use for a long while)

Charge you $59 and then decide to strip all the stuff out of the game and charge you even more to put it back in....

If they get away with this, then it's the consumers who are at fault, because they allow them to get away with it.

PS3 has backwards compatability so If you want to play GT HD on your PS3. BUY the PS2 version and play it ay 1080i - you'll barely notice the difference and wont be ripped off.....

7. dwishbone macrumors regular

whats all the complaining about?
    just like the PS3 at $600...this is a bargain.
    PS3 is a Bluray player for $400 cheaper than SONY's very own Bluray players. they make both. what a bargain!

for $900+ you get 750 cars? wow. thats insane value!
    i refuse to pay $60 for games anymore. they gotta at least be $900 now for me to feel im getting my money's worth. kudos sony!

(i really hope you can pick up the insane sarcasm in this post. sony you can rot in hell)

8. takao macrumors 68040

takao

if true then it would be completely ridiculous

sure we know already that singstar for ps3 will have downloadable songs for 1 €*but this would be insane

for EA total screwing up with fifa 07 for 360: even the DS has 26 leagues and nearly all stadiums and they can't add it in the 360 version ? sorry that's just crippeling on purpose

9. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

10. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

11. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Why?

I hear the new Mario Strikers only comes with a football. All the other stuff has to be bought seperatly ;) :p :D

And the reason Metriod 3 was delayed. So they could take all the good stuff out of it of course ;)

(i'm joking incase someone replies 'no they havent!' :rolleyes: )

Seriously if this is the future of gaming, we should all give up now.

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Thank god I'll be a developer in the next few years, I WILL TAKE MORE MONEY OFF YOU.

13. DougTheImpaler macrumors 6502a

This is quite different than the micropayments that Project Gotham 3 had...you can get 12 cars for like $5 at a time, and even some of those cars are free if you download them individually.

14. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yeah giving us 'expansion packs' like PGR3, GRAW are ok. You've given us a full game and a good few months later saying, hey do you want to prolong your game - here's some new expansions you can download....

That I approve of. It's just the same as adding an expansion onto a pc title...

--- however ----

But with this fiasco, here's a totally crippled game that your going to have to start spending extra Straight away to get any game what so ever..... Bah humbug Sony... Unless they give it away Free with the PS3 (which is possible, seeing as it's not listed to buy I believe) then it's a total con.

Same as Fifa 07 and EA. That's a total con job too.

People dont be stupid, we have the power in our pockets to stop being ripped off. If people dont buy the game, then they will think twice before pulling the stunt again.

Unfortunetly I imagine there will still be those consumers who will rush out and buy GT 4 HD, Fifa 07 etc... A big negative drive from the press is whats needed to get the consumer outraged, and then maybe we'll be able to stop this greedy monopoly developers are planning....

15. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

I could just see playing Mario and hitting a block to get a fire flower and instead getting a popup window asking for my credit card number if I wanted to "upgrade."

16. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    This is something that cannot be blamed on Sony, btw. It's a greedy developer.

Well, I'm not into racing games at all, but this is a big kick in the nuts to whoever was waiting for the game. Lame. Lame lame lame.

17. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

IGN says its like kinda that GT4 Prologue, sort of a demo'esc kind of game. I could see them giving you a pack, so like for a $1 you get 40 cars or something. I'm actually looking forward to the preview of GT5 on the disc.

I can't believe everyone is so shocked by all this. How did you NOT know it was coming? Fee's are just becoming part of the game (pardon the pun). MMO's charge you to buy the game the charge you half as much each month to play. Yeah yeah they have servers to maintain and blah blah but its a money cow for them for sure. Since these games are becoming so freakin expensive to make, its only natural that they will wanna take to leech as much outta you as they can. And all those people on 360 who paid 2$ or whatever it is for some horse armor just made it worse. Paying for an expansion, like MRU said, is all well and dandy, but paying for a cosmetic detail or for a new castle or a new spell is the way of the future.

And to the guy who said "thank god for Wii", wake up dude, Wii has a marketplace too, you dont think they will pull the same thing? Nintendo? Mr. You-have-to-buy-a-component-cable-seperately-for-$60-? Nintendo wants money just as much as Sony/EA/MS does and if they see that people are willing to pay for crap like this, then they are gonna do it to.*cough5dollarsforaNESgamecough*

18. mwpeters8182 macrumors 6502

PS2 games are 480i, not 1080.

19. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Just some counterpoints;

Nintendo said their online content will be free. It's up to 3rd party devs if they want to charge for their downloads.
    The component cable is a 3rd party pre-order that hasn't an official price yet. how much were the official Cube cables? half that. oh and it's probably worth noting that $60 is exactly what Microsoft charge for their official VGA cable here, so come on now.
    $5= £2.50. I will give you that £2.50 on Paypal right now if you can go out into a UK store and buy a working copy of Contra. £2.50? try £30, along side Zelda and the other classics. Or if you're feeling frisky try finding a boxed FF1-6 for less than £30 or Chrono Trigger for less than £50, see attached.

Attached Files:

20. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

I thought GT was 1080i.

Yup… it was: Link (One of the only 2 PS2 1080i games)

21. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

Give me a cockpit view (and a game that doesn't lock up) and I'll buy in. Otherwise, I'll pass :rolleyes:

22. mkubal macrumors 6502a

I think what shocks people is that, presumably, you would be required to pay more and more to actually complete the game. I probably wouldn't have liked final fantasy as much if I had to pay $1 for each additional sword or materia I wanted/needed (I'm a dork, I know).

That being said, I doubt things are as bad as they seem. Charging that much for cars that are probably necessary to complete the game would be suicide. Sure the "hardcore" GT freaks would buy them, but do we really want to come to a point in gaming where only the rich can afford to finish games?

(This makes me glad that my new iMac will arrive on Saturday. I can Civ-out for a disgusting amount of time without worrying about having to pay extra for ICBMs or horse armor.)

23. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Bless :D GT 4 on PS2 was able to output 1080i

So GT 4 HD on PS3 is pretty much a lame excuse for repackaging the same game twice.

Making us pay for content is even lamer.

If you want GT4 buy the PS2 version and play it on backwards compatability. Though it would not surprise me if Sony make GT4 one of the few games not backwards compatible just so the can exploit the new version...

24. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

man, i just can't believe this....just can't believe it. GT 5 should be worth getting a PS3 by itself, and now this?

i love the Gran Turismo games, one of the reasons i might get a PS3, but now i'm not so sure.

i'm speechless