Two Weeks for a 24" iMac? Speedbump coming?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by freebooter, Oct 20, 2006.

1. freebooter macrumors 65816

freebooter

After going from a used G3 B&W to a Mac Mini ppc, I just ordered my first iMac, the 24" 2.16 Ghz stock model. Yesterday i ordered the 20" and was told it would take 10 days (10 working days) since they were out of stock and were getting more in from Singapore (?). I slept on it and today upgraded to the 24", and it too is back-ordered 10 days.
    I'm alright with that--the extra wait lets me savour the delicious anticipation, and arrange my plans for partitioning, memory, a new back-up h.d. etc.

As to why they are so back-ordered... Probably, Apple Korea underestimated initial demand for the new models and has been caught short. But...maybe....

Does this presage a possible pre-holiday-buying-season speed-bump? I'd love to get a 2.33 for the price of a 2.16. :)

2. vouder17 macrumors 6502a

vouder17

no, i really dont think so, chances are mighty slim

3. freebooter thread starter macrumors 65816

freebooter

kill-joy :rolleyes:

4. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Sorry man, I gotta agree with vouder. You asked a question and we answered it. If anything a speed bump is to be expected in spring. Look at history. The core duo didn't get a speed bump, and if anything they aren't going to happen this year. It is pointless to do an upgrade a month after release. That's like releasing an 06 car, and then a month later calling it obsolete and releasing the 07'

5. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I think the iMacs are doing pretty good for Apple since they just started using those Core2Duo's so my guess is they are selling everyone thats being made so just a matter of lack of supply and lots of demand.

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

2-4 business days at worst for me in the US. :D

Updates? Bah!

7. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

I'm with you... mine arrived 5 days after ordering from china. Plus I expected delays because mine was quite a custom machine.

8. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

One more thing is that I noticed that the 2.33 is the fastest Merom chip Intel makes. So unless they put a desktop processor (Conroe) in the iMac (highly doubtful) then nothin is gonna happen.

9. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

You're maybe the fifth person to notice that...

10. freebooter thread starter macrumors 65816

freebooter

No. I"m sorry you seem to have misunderstood the :rolleyes: icon
    I used in an ironic spirit. I actually agree with you, if read my post closely. I was only speculating...hopefully. :)

11. ascender macrumors 68000

Mine took 9 days to come from China but I upgraded the RAM and graphics card, so i think the shipping time is just a worst-case to cover themselves in case your one has to travel a bit to get to you.

12. Rychiar macrumors 6502

Rychiar

i would hope the delay was because they were fixing them seeing as the entire stock seems to have this horrid brightness hum mine has, maybe i should send it back a 2nd time :mad:

13. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Yeah I heard about that when the brightness is down it hums. Luckily the 20" is perfect brightness.

14. freebooter thread starter macrumors 65816

freebooter

I hope you are right about a possible fix in the works. But, is it true to say the entire stock has this hum?
    [sidebar: I saw one on display in Seoul today. It was...large.]

15. Flyinace2000 macrumors 6502a

Flyinace2000

Both of mine hummed. I hope its firmware fix. I doubt it. The noise is coming from the lamp. Lights make a hum when no enough power is uspplied to them. My girlfirend pointed this out to me. She did lighting in College theatre and the stage lights make a hum when being dimmed.