Two Wireless Routers on One Network?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by yzeater, Jun 21, 2003.

1. yzeater macrumors regular

Hey ya'll-
    Here's my issue. We've got an SMC Barricade wireless router now hooked up to a cable moden , and it sucks. The router (cable is fine) will freeze when you try to transfer big files, it needs to be restarted (unplugged and replugged) as often as every 20 minutes. This isn't normal with wireless routers, right? The range with it isn't very good either. So right now it's in our basement, etherneted to a PC desktop, but we use the wireless network essentially on the opposite side of the house...What we'd like to do is:
    1. Have all the computers on one network so we can transfer files, etc.
    2. Have strong signal all over the house.
    3. Have a system that is consistent

So...can we have a wireless router in the basement and one upstairs? How would we get them to be on the same network if they're using different cable modems? Can you have two cable modems anyways..? Would it be worth getting 802.11g for the next routers anyways...is it the 'future' standard? Those questions should keep you occupied for a while. Thanks
    -Stephen

2. ibookin' macrumors 65816

ibookin'

There is no problem with having a wireless router and a wireless AP on the same network, but there is something you should know about having two routers on the same network. First off, the firewalls in most home routers will not allow you to share files with machines connected to the other router. Second, should you decide to have two routers, you will have to make each router on its own subnet (i.e. router 1 is on 192.168.1.0, and router 2 is on 192.168.1.100).

As you can see, this is really not the solution for you. If the SMC is not a good router and you want to replace it, buy a new non-wireless router and a sperate wireless access point for the other end of the house. If the SMC is doing OK as a router but sucking at its wireless duties just buy an access point to add on to it, and turn off the wireless feature of the SMC.

I'm sorry to hear you had a bad experience. I have a Linksys BEFW11S4 and it is a fantastic router/AP combo.

Hope this helps.

EDIT: I just noticed that this was my 999th post on these boards. I wonder what my 1000th will be...

3. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

ibookin is right, only problems can occur from having two routers and wireless points, unless you can bridge then like the Airport Extreme.

iJon

4. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

I think what you meant to say is router 1 will have to be on 192.168.1.xxx and router 2 will be one 192.168.2.xxx (whatever number you want to put in for 2 and 1). My reccomendation to you would be to use a good router and then get a wireless access point and set it up as a repeater, not another access point. This will extend your network throughout the entire house with seemingly one network.

BEN

5. pgwalsh macrumors 68000

pgwalsh

Re: Two Wireless Routers on One Network?

I'm not completely clear on your setup with the two cable lines. Are you essentially saying you have two places to access the internet from? Two independent cable connections to the net?

If not then just use one wireless router with a an access point or use one router with two access points and make a bridge. Then on one bridge put a switch and you're set.

You'll want the access/routers as close as possible for the best connection. If you have two windows put them close to the windows. Otherwise you may look into an external antenna... You can make one for cheap and just have them pointed at each other outside. I have about 150 feet between two buildings with two access points. One at a window an the other at a wall. It works fine, but they're at the same level.

I find working on different floors makes it tougher, that's why I suggest using external antennas and pointing them at each other.

I'm using two Wap 11s and a dlink router. A very simple setup or and a dlink switch.. If you have two complete separate networks it's obviously going to be a bit trickier, but doable nonetheless.

6. ibookin' macrumors 65816

ibookin'

I meant what I said and I said what I meant. 192.168.1.xxx and 192.168.2.xxx are two seperate networks entirely. This would work pretty much the same way, but it would probably be better to subnet a single network instead.

But considering his situation, I'd just have a single router and an access point.

7. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Linksys

Get a Linksys Wireless Router. We have one, and it kicks ass. It has 4 ports for hardwiring, and it does wireless.

The signal kicks butt on it too. If it isnt strong enough, you can buy a signal booster for like 80 bucks, that works really good. My brother used to get 1 bar in airport with his Linksys router (when he was outside on the corner of his property, really far away from the base station), and now with the booster, he gets 4 bars.

Linksys dominates for Wireless stuff.

8. pgwalsh macrumors 68000

pgwalsh

Re: Linksys

Well the dominate soho and they're now owned by cisco.

9. ibookin' macrumors 65816

ibookin'

Re: Re: Linksys

I have one and I have found it to excellent. I can get access on the other side of the house and can sometimes get access all the way out back, which is fairly far (I have a somewhat large backyard).

Plus, the router features are nice, and it is always nice to have a product made by a company owned by Cisco (I'm working on getting a Cisco cert. at the moment)

10. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Cisco

I have a Cisco Aironet too. Its the Bridge Series. They run about 450 dollars on eBay. It can be used as a base station, and can bridge connections. It also has an external antannae port, its sweet. I dont use it though.