Two wireless routers?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by michaelsaxon, Mar 17, 2007.

1. michaelsaxon macrumors 6502

I'm considering getting the new AirPort Extreme for the sake of AppleTV, but I have a Wii and a Core Duo Macbook Pro. As such, my understanding is that those two things on the AirPort Extreme's signal will degrade the n speed.

1) Is that right?
    2) If so, can I still get it and affiliate it with AppleTV and leave my old Linksys router up to provide signal to the Wii and notebook? If so, how?

Thanks for the help.

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I'm still not sure about #1, but, yes, you can have different wireless routers, but you'll need two available ethernet ports with internet. If you do, just assign each wireless router a different SSID, channel, and IP address. You'll also need to check for IP address conflicts if both are assigning IP addresses via DHCP.

3. Old Smuggler macrumors 6502a

Old Smuggler

why dont you do what i did
    get 2 extreme base stations run them in WDS with "n" only for your "n" hardware and plug your non "n" "g" hardware into one of the 3 ethernet ports on the back?

4. michaelsaxon thread starter macrumors 6502

So, let me get this straight:

I would connect my ethernet cable from my cable modem to the AirPort Extreme and then have another ethernet cable from it to my Linksys. Is that right?

5. michaelsaxon thread starter macrumors 6502

So, let me get this straight:

I would connect my ethernet cable from my cable modem to the AirPort Extreme and then have another ethernet cable from it to my Linksys. Is that right?

Edit: On a second read, I see that you are saying that I should plug my non-G hardware into the router itself. That'd be fine for the Wii, but certainly not for my Macbook Pro.