TX Congressman: Abortion ban needed because masturbating fetuses

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by yg17, Jun 18, 2013.

1. macrumors G5

yg17

The Onion couldn't even make this stuff up:

http://rhrealitycheck.org/article/2...urbating-fetuses-prove-need-for-abortion-ban/

The good news is, the republicans are talking about jobs again. The bad news is, it's hand jobs they're concerned with.

2. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Life begins at fetal masturbation?

3. macrumors 68040

renewed

The maturity thus far in this thread is astounding.

4. Moderator emeritus

Apart from that, what's your view, renewed?

Do you think a 15 week old foetus is capable of masturbating? And if so, do you think the medical profession would agree?

And finally, do you think it's the kind of statement that reflects well on the congressman and the Republican party?

5. macrumors 68030

We do indeed live in enlightened times.

A century ago Burgess would have demanded that all foetuses caught masturbating be aborted.

6. macrumors 68040

renewed

Michael Burgess is an MD and I think his statement of a fetus being able to feel pain and pleasure is thought provoking. He is saying if they are stroking their face or having their hands between their legs, it's possible they feel. It's a theory based on observation.

I think this statement is one in the right direction; fighting for the life of those who cannot fight themselves.

I think it also shows how idiotic the liberal media is in the headlines and misquotes they are already spewing onto the internets.

7. thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

It's also a theory based on absolutely no facts because a fetus cannot feel pain until 24 weeks. They must give out MD licenses in cracker jack boxes in Texas.

8. macrumors demi-god

Shrink

I have to question this whole idea.

Obviously, if the little buggers were abusing themselves in utero...they would all be born blind and with hair on their palms.

Since most male babies are not even nearsighted, that provides proof easily as good as the proof offered by the moron doc.

9. Moderator emeritus

Given your rhetoric, I'm not going to take issue with what you've said previous to this statement or whether you even fully understand the pro-choice position because I suspect I and others would be wasting their time.

However, I'm not sure what the misquotes are you are referring to. Are you suggesting that the congressman has been misquoted in this article and others or that his statement is being deliberately distorted by the press?

10. rdowns, Jun 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2013

macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Forgive me if I have a hard time with a statement made from any of Texas' politicians. Between Perry, Cruz, Gomert and this clown it's like a race to stupid.

Odd, I was unable to find a story on FOX or Breitbart which is surprising given how the right wing media loves a good circle jerk.

11. macrumors 68040

bradl

Meanwhile, at a pregnant mother's 20 week ultrasound...

[​IMG]

Nothing more needs to be said.

BL.

12. macrumors G3

roadbloc

Why are stupid people in charge? I mean really, these people are dumb! How is it that these total morons get to positions of power?

13. macrumors G3

Huntn

finishing your GOP motto... and after you are born no matter how undesirable the conditions, you're on your own kiddo.

14. macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

You know.....I'm sure that he had something in his head that sounded a lot more eloquent than what came out of his mouth.

Although I'm having a hard time imagining what that might have been.

15. macrumors G4

skunk

Why would it be only male foetuses who derive pleasure this way? And since when has being a wanker been sufficient cause for salvation? Something decidedly off-key here.

16. macrumors 68020

Mac'nCheese

Yes. That one post sure was immature.

17. macrumors 68020

localoid

Won't somebody please think of the fetuses?!?!111!!

Apparently, the Journal of Ultrasound in Medicine published an article in 1987 entitled the "Sonographic observation of in utero fetal "masturbation", Journal of Ultrasound in Medicine".

This was one of the topics Mary Roach covered during the TEDTalks presentation from 2009 (see below).

Roach also notes in the video that (under certain conditions) dead persons can have an organism.

Perhaps we should rethink our practices RE:burying the dead...

18. macrumors 68020

Just when I thought I heard it all and people couldn't get any more stupid. What's worse, the stupid people in charge or the stupid people who elect and support the stupid people and their ideas?

19. macrumors 601

Technarchy

"Every country has the government it deserves"

20. macrumors 65816

citizenzen

The bill passed through the House of Representatives, 228 yeas to 196 nays.

Six Democrats voted for it and six Republicans voted against it.

Or in other words, totally bipartisan. :rolleyes:

21. macrumors 68040

bradl

Where are the jobs?

BL.

22. macrumors 6502

Now we know why some people are born blind.

23. macrumors 68000

VulchR

I do wish our representatives in government knew more science than a 15-week-old fetus....

24. macrumors 603

Tomorrow

The idea that a fetus can feel pain - or pleasure - doesn't seem so far-fetched to me. Why all the ridicule? :confused:

25. macrumors 6502

lannister80

Because this:

"Scientific research generally indicates that the fetus is incapable of feeling pain until at least the 24th week."

"Fetal awareness of noxious stimuli requires functional thalamocortical connections. Thalamocortical fibers begin appearing between 23 to 30 weeks' gestational age, while electroencephalography suggests the capacity for functional pain perception in preterm neonates probably does not exist before 29 or 30 weeks"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neonatal_perception
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16118385