tying together an old and a newer mac

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by homeshire, Jan 8, 2004.

1. homeshire macrumors regular

i asked this question about a year ago, and never followed up. now i have to ask again. I have a g4 iMac and the kids want to play with only that. they won't touch the older ppc 6500/250, so i have reclaimed it for myself and want to tie it to the iMac. if nothing else, it has a 4 gig hd that should work nicely for quick backups. how do i do it? i remember others mentioned a cross-over cable, but it's not clear to me. the ppc has a pci card installed that gives it 2 usb ports. i don't need it to be a wonderful networking connection that allows the ppc to do all things the iMac does. at the end of the day, i just want each to see the other, and as i said, maybe write from the iMac to the ppc as backup. what are my options, and how do i do it? thanks a lot.

2. amnesiac1984 macrumors 6502a

Allowing the PPC/6500 to see the iMac and visa versa is all a network connection will do. You can't link two computers as one (except in a cluster ala VirginiaTech but thats not for the home user to do) if thats what you were thinking of.

But it should be easy, nothing to do with USB ports either. Both macs have built in Ethernet networking interfaces, you jsut need to connect one to the other with an Ethernet cabel (it doesn't even have to be a cross-over cable as macs are auto sensing).

3. homeshire thread starter macrumors regular

amnesiac1984 --

thanks for your response, but let me follow up -- where the heck do i find an ethernet port on the 6500? and connecting them in this manner would allow me to use the 6500 for on-the-fly backup with its hard drive, correct?

4. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

5. homeshire thread starter macrumors regular

6. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Buy a PCI card with an ethernet port. They're well under $50.