type apple logo/symbol

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by gonnabuyamac, Feb 3, 2007.

1. gonnabuyamac macrumors 6502

is there any way on a mac to type or insert the apple symbol? just curious.. i know there's a smiley on here, but i would like to use it in a document.

thanks!

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Yes its shift+alt+k 
    This 'alt' is called option on some keyboards

3. gonnabuyamac thread starter macrumors 6502

4. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Alt + shift + k

EDIT: Darn Tabs. Beaten by a Pig :p

5. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

It's Shift+Alt+K – most of the fonts on your Mac will support it.

EDIT: Yep, I'm a little on the slow side myself it seems...

6. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

The key combo is actually Option + Shift + K, or simply Alt + K (but not preferred since all the older keyboards only have "Option" written on the key). The actual name of the key is just "Option" though, as "alt" indicates an alternative "option" that may be availalbe when you hold down shift. So saying "Shift + Alt" isn't really correct, and Alt + K doesn't follow traditional Mac nomenclature, which is just to refer to the key as "option."

Those alternative options have always been there, but "alt" was only added in recent-ish times.

So, in another example, bringing up the force quit dialog is Command + Option + Escape, not Command + Alt + Escape.

7. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I see your point, but if I told a new switcher Command + Option + Escape they might say "where's the option key?" if they had an alt button...

8. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

They're going to need to learn where the option key is sooner or later, to make any sense of help and manuals, so just get it over with and let 'em know the name of that weird little crooked line symbol.

9. Richard Flynn macrumors regular

The fact of the matter is that on UK and other keyboards, the key itself is called 'alt', and not 'option', as it is labelled in the US.

10. UnitedRed macrumors member

I made this a while ago, just thought other people could use it

Attached Files:

11. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

The label is option worldwide. See 2325 on the handy dandy sooper dooper official Unicode chart (names are on the paged marked 192).

12. ®îçhå®? macrumors 68000

®îçhå®?

Actually pressing Alt + K gives the degrees sign. AS previously said, i is called "alt" on UK keyboards at least whereas on the US keyboards (old PBs anyway), "Option" is printed on them. It is technically called the "Option" key but it is acceptible for it to be called the "Alt" key especialy here in the UK as it does not say "Option" on them and `people look for the key saying "Alt" on it

13. Richard Flynn macrumors regular

I fear you've misunderstood what I was saying. Although it is still called 'option' in all the software and reference sources, the key itself is labelled 'alt' in the UK (and probably elsewhere). Believe me, I'm staring at a UK Apple Bluetooth keyboard with two keys called 'alt'. There are no keys labelled 'option'.

14. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

I have a PB purchased in the US, with a standard US keyboard, but since I live in Norway and mostly type Norwegian, I use the Norwegian keyboard setup most of the time (and just don't look at what's printed on the keys when I'm typing Norwegian :p ).

When I have the Norwegian keyboard activated, Option/Alt + K + shift give me the degrees sign. When the American keyboard is activated, I get the Apple logo.

Both option and alt are printed on the key in question, on my PB.

I guess my point is that people using different keyboard setups around the world need to remember that different shortcuts give different results on different keyboards.

15. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

There are many, many people who call their computer enclosures "hard drives", and their displays "computers". There are also many people who write "for all intensive purposes" and speak of a Who song named "Teenage Wasteland". Others enter PIN numbers into ATM machines because they don't know what "PIN" and "ATM" mean. Likewise, people call the Option key the "alt key" because they are ignorant of the option key symbol.

Widespread ignorance is still ignorance. When it's allowed to fester, it burns into dialects, and we end up with millions of people who say things like "my car needs fixed"! Everyone is going to speak like Tarzan by 2025.

16. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

Or, because, like me, they have a keyboard where both "option" and "alt" are printed on the key in question? :confused:

I'm not being sarcastic or trying to argue, I'm just a little confused. I never thought about it till I read this thread, but I have always wondered a bit why a key would have two names printed on it. It seems an invitation to confusion.

17. spicyapple macrumors 68000

spicyapple

It gets worse in 500 years. Idiocracy :)

18. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

You must have a US keyboard on your Mac. Apple keyboards in most other markets (including markets where English is usually spoken) instead use the symbols that appear in the menu bar. In some markets, they use symbols for some keys and translate the written names for others. Why they don't simply use the same symbols everywhere is a mystery.
    Apple added the "alt" legend when they started to sell monster "extended" keyboards with PC-like layouts. This happened around the same time that DOS emulators like SoftPC and Virtual PC appeared. What good is a PC emulator if you can't type alt-ctrl-del every few minutes? :D

19. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

20. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

Yupp, I do. But I never really gave it a second thought, because as I mentioned I usually use the Norwegian keyboard set-up, and occasionally the simplified Chinese set-up. In addition, I touch type, so I usually just remember in my head which symbol is where.

And I've discovered that the "extra" symbols, the ones that aren't apparent by looking at the keyboard, vary from set-up to set-up.

Norwegian set-up in Text Edit and Camino:

alt/option + shift + K give me º, alt/option + K give me ª.

English set-up in Text Edit:

alt/option + shift + K give me :apple: , alt/option + K give me ˚.

English set-up in Camino:

alt/option + shift + K give me , alt/option + K give me ˚.

Ah, now I get it. :)

21. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

I have a Japanese PowerBook 540c and it says Option. It also has additional keys squeezed in there, making for a shorter spacebar.

So Apple manuals and reference materials refer to it as "Alt" in other countries, instead of "Option" ?

22. SvP macrumors 6502

SvP

Just found this thread (after quickly googling fo the apple-key). Funny thing is i can not type a K key without using Shift.
    So Alt+K = , alt+k gives ˚

I've actually gotten the question "where can i find the any-key" once.

23. snberk103 macrumors 603

Uh-oh.... I'm gonna havta to look up those lyrics.... There is a CBC radio show called Randy's Vinyl Tap, and a regular show theme are mondegreens. As he points out, often the misheard lyric actually does make more sense than the actual words.

It's called a "Living Language" for a reason. For example, do you say 'Zee' or 'Zed' for the last letter of the alphabet? (sorry, but in edit mode I can't easily check to see what your location is.) If you are an American, and say 'zee' it's because the American who wrote the alphabet song couldn't make the song rhyme as 'zed', so the letter was changed to 'zee' to rhyme with 'cee'. Instant language change 'cause the song-writer couldn't make rhyme. Even if you aren't American, I am sure there lots of examples of language that you use that 100 or even 50 years ago would have been considered crass and wrong.

ps My MBP has both alt and option on it, but not the funny squiggle. As well, I have the command/'rug beater' key (doesn't say 'Apple' on it). I was pulling my hair for hours one day trying to decipher someone's instructions to hold down the 'escape + Apple + (option squiggle)' [Except substitute the actual squiggle in there instead of the words].

Anyway, I got it figured out now... :)