Types of desks you like?

Discussion in 'Community' started by ravenvii, Jul 21, 2005.

1. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

No this isn't a desk recommendation thread, though I am looking for a new desk myself. This is just a thread for you to post your preferences in desks - L-shaped? Glass? Steel? Wooden? Keyboard drawer? Etc.

I'm the type that loves L-shaped desks. I used to have one at a place I lived in before. Loved the desk, even though the keyboard drawer fell apart in a matter of months. It was a really simple, gray desk with black legs. The only thing that sucks about it is that keyboard drawer.

Right now, I have a steel monstrosity that "does everything". I'm looking to get rid of it ASAP and get a nice, simple, no-nonsense large desk. Just a table. Nothing more.That's what I like. Simple as possible.

I'm not sure which material I like though - I really like the look of glass desks, but all the cables in plain sight... wooden desks are great, no frills and nothing fancy. I've never actually used a steel desk, I think they'd look great if done right, and that cold, heavy metal feel is nice.

I've always wondered what a mirrored desk looks like. It could either be awesome, or "too much".

What are your preferences as far as desks go?

2. aspro macrumors 6502

I have a large light grey/grey L-shape desk.. I like to have a nice big, clean desk (the clean part is very rare though :p) I also cannot stand those keyboard drawers, evey desk ive had with one I have really disliked.

3. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

I like L-Shaped desks for lots of work. If the desk surface is deep even better. I have a pretty nice desk at my office in the hospital. It isn't an L-Shaped desk but I have a credenza and a desk in front so its very officey- good for meetings with patients. (both the desk and credenza are very deep).

I also have a 21" IBM CRT (enormous) for my work, so I have to have a desk that will fit that monitor on my desk without eating up all of my workspace.

I just ordered a 42" Dell Plasma TV to show patients videos and diagrams of what will happen in their surgeries. I haven't figured out were I'm going to put it though.

I also like big antique roll top desks. Not much room for a computer though but I have one in my living room.

4. khammack macrumors regular

I generally favor L-shaped with the computer in the corner and _no_ keyboard tray. I do more typing than handwriting so I keep the desk low enough to avoid too much strain on the wrist (and endure the occassional crick in the neck from bending down to use a pencil). I also like a lot of desk space in general, I tend to use it for sorting and keeping things handy.

My desk looks disorderly to those who don't know any better.

Though I prefer L-shaped over most choices that are available to me, my absolute favorite setup was a desk I had many years ago: a massive, extremely heavy oak desk that could stow a typewriter on one side via an oak platter that collapsed downward and slid back into the desk itself. The thing was so solid it seemed like you could stow a 100lb typewriter. Of course at the time computer equipment weighed a bit more than it does now...

Paired with that magnificent desk was an oak chair that was equally stout. It was very old, and the joints were solid. It was still one of the most comfortable chairs I've used for any extended period of time, simply because it was shaped properly. Though it bears mentioning that part of my comfort equation required leaning back on the rear legs to stretch my back just right. Again, a 600lb person could have leaned back in this chair and it would not even so much have flexed.

Of course, I've found in recent years that for hard chairs to be comfortable I need to weigh less. :D Besides, it's impractical (not to mention counterproductive) to own something so heavy. It won't do to throw your back out carrying a chair whose purpose is to prevent you from sustaining mild strain injury.

But where do I do my actual telecommuting? Powerbook on my lap sitting in an Ekornes "Stressless" recliner. Actually, I think this is in fact my new favorite setup. I've got a small table next to the chair for writing, drinks, etc.

-kev

5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

=============reject door ============
    Filing Cab|--wide pull out shelf ---| Filing Cab

------- ....................................--------

There's my $25 dollar desk
    1 reject door from the lumberyard that someone had used as target practice for a forklift, 2 surplus sale filing cabinets, one piece of plywood on shelf runners = 4 foot wide keyboard shelf and 7.5 feet of working surface.

6. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

This is a great idea for an inexpensive desk with A LOT of space. The customizability options are endless. Don't need two filing cabinets? Use a pole or perhaps some glass blocks on one side. Don't need a keyboard shelf? Don't install one. Need two keyboard shelves (I have no idea why!)? Easy.

I thought about this for my desk before I ended up buying one. Above all of the types of materials, the most important thing for me was the "look." I wanted a contemporary styled desk, regardless of what it was made of.

7. Prelude2Tragedy macrumors regular

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Don't really mind what sort of desk I have so long as it's big enough. Although, having said that, I'm not a fan of glass desks/tables. How am I supposed to hide crap under that?

9. Blackstealth macrumors regular

I've always opted for big tables instead of desks. I currently have 2 of Ikea's biggest (and cheapest) wooden tables with plain steel legs that I bought about 3 years ago. 20sqft of working space so plenty of room to spread out equipment and stuff. Admittedly they're not 'real' wood, just plywood with veneer, but they look good and they're pretty hard wearing.

Of most importance to me is the complete lack of drawers - I just end up filling them with junk so it encourages me to de-clutter my workspace regularly.

10. trebblekicked macrumors 6502a

trebblekicked

i love my desk. it's a glass/metal frame dealy. the glass is a pain to keep clean, but i like having a lot of flat space, and don't care much for drawers.

Attached Files:

• desk.jpg
      desk.jpg
      File size:
      147.5 KB
      Views:
  11. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

Any desk that is reatively cheap and gets the job done. Nothin' fancy. Just need something that works...

12. iGary Guest

iGary

Funny this.

I just picked up an L-shaped Galant desk from IKEA. Neede more room.

Not looking forward to putting it together and reassembling all the computer gear.

13. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

iGary, did you pick it up in-store, or did you have it shipped?

If you had it shipped, did you get killed on the shipping costs?

14. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

I hate keyboard drawers. I like to have my chair higher up and it seems no matter what desk I use my knees are hitting the keyboard drawer and my arms are down uncomfortly low. I'm not a that tall either- I'm 5'10".

15. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

16. iGary Guest

iGary

I picked it up at the store - stupid.

I was putting one of the boxes in my car and broke a tail light, and despite my best efforts, the big piece of the table I hd lashed down to the roof of my car kept trying to decide it was an airfoil. :rolleyes:

Should have paid $50.00 for the dlivery, but I wanted it up befor ethe weekend; I have a lot of work to do. :(

17. iGary Guest

iGary

Here it is - I really like it. I have to move the file cabinet somewhere else, but it fits really well.

[​IMG]

18. dops7107 macrumors 6502a

dops7107

woah. that's mighty nice. But doesn't it block your door somewhat? Not sure I agree with "fits really well" because of this! :p

19. AliensAreFuzzy macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

iGary, that setup is beautiful.

I personally like the large table type desk. I'm having my dad make me one out of solid maple. I can't wait.

20. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

Just don't put a ticking alarm clock in there...:eek: ;)

21. XIII macrumors 68040

XIII

I just bought one of them.. Maple though. And it has the curved ends on both sides. But I need to fit my wooden floor before I can put the desk in. :)

Very cool desk. :D

22. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

23. snkTab macrumors 6502a

snkTab

Wow, legos are expensive. What is that? 25k?

24. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

I like the desk with wheels. I have two of them as my computer desks. I am in an apartment and it is very convenient I can move out very easily with wheels on the desk. I moved from Long Island to North Jersey and those wheels will help. But, I had to be careful how much stuff I can pile on the desks because the wheels may bend if they are too much under stress with weight. I like portability so that I can pack up and move in a day.