Typical Windows makes iTunes hard...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by davrouk, Oct 16, 2003.

1. davrouk Guest

Just installed iTunes on my bro's xp machine. Turned on music sharing on both that and my iMac - the mac can see the shared music mounted in iTunes and the windows machine will not find the mac at all.

There are no firewalls or anything installed on either machine (my router takes care of the outside traffic), so I am officially stumped for the 1st time ever with iTunes.
  2. davrouk thread starter Guest

and it doesnt recognise his yamaha cd burner either (12 months old)
  3. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

Feb 16, 2003
    Memphis, TN
    Re: Typical Windows makes iTunes hard...

that's odd. just installed it on a friend's computer here at school, and everything was recognized right off the bat...
  4. KBFinFan macrumors 6502

May 30, 2003
    Connecticut, USA
    My friend just installed it on his Dell laptop... and it crashed. Anytime he tried to put music into the library.. boof crash city.

I'm sure this is just an exception.. but I wanted to throw it out there
  5. fraeone macrumors regular

Sep 26, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    I have always thought that Apple did sort of a half-assed job with the Quicktime player on Windows, it never has gotten along with the rest of my apps very well.

That being said, I just installed it on my Dell Laptop (which is preparing to be replaced by a Powerbook) and they did iTunes right, it's smooth as silk and I haven't run into any bugs at all. I also like how they did the titlebar interface, it's an improvement on the regular Windows stuff.
  6. iJon macrumors 604

Feb 7, 2002
    working perfect here at home and work. i love it. i just keep itunes open on my pc to save space and play it off of there.

7. davrouk thread starter Guest

any suggestions for the pc then? it will just not find the mac's music - the mac has a lot more music on it too!
  8. iJon macrumors 604

Feb 7, 2002
    don't know if it would matter but make sure you have 4.1 installed on the mac.

9. davrouk thread starter Guest

i do

and i have restarted both systems a few times (usual windows fix!)
  10. Ensoniq macrumors regular

Jul 16, 2002
    Bronx, NY
    Just in case you've not already done so...

Go into iTunes Preferences on your Mac and select "Sharing" ... make sure you've turned sharing on for the Mac side, and that should do it.

I'm sharing my entire 20 GB music library from my Mac to my XP machine right now, with no problems on a local network.
  11. Elenita macrumors member

Mar 2, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Hmmm...maybe this will work? I've never actually done this myself, but it's the troubleshooting procedure listed in my copy of "Switching to the Mac: the Missing Manual".

--Go to Network Places
    --Click "view work group computers" on the left-side task pane
    --In the next window, click the "Microsoft Windows Network link
    --Chose your Mac from the computers listed there and login

Also, make sure you have file sharing enabled in System Preferences--not just iTunes. And restarting the PC, and/or taking out the cables and plugging them back in can't hurt either.

Good luck!
  12. softwiz500 macrumors newbie

May 23, 2003
    I have exactly the same problem. My iBook will get my PC and my iMac's music, my iMac will get my PC and iMac's music, but my PC will only access my iBook. It doesn't seem to see the iMac. =P
  13. Dids macrumors newbie

Oct 16, 2003
    Just in case this helps...

My windows machine could see the shared music's name but would refuse to list the songs when I clicked on it.

It would just time out and go back to the library.

The fix was: Turning off the firewall setting on the mac.

Of course you won't want to turn it completely off but you get the idea.

14. alia macrumors 6502a

Apr 2, 2003
    Orlando, FL
    My mom's Mac and my XP box see each other in iTunes and they don't even see each other normally, because my mom's mac is on a different workgroup than my machine.

I think it works great. I haven't had any problems with iTunes except that now I get an error on startup which is related to quicktime. iTunes also runs slowly, but my machine is QUITE old.

15. skymaXimus macrumors regular

Mar 3, 2003
    it doesn't work either way for me. Mac can't see PC ... PC can't see Mac. Windows file shareing works great though, just iTunes that doesn't want to share files.
  16. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    You should probably just open up port 3689 for iTunes sharing.
  17. davrouk thread starter Guest

still no joy - tried all the above

firewall is OFF on both the iMac and the xp machine.

have tried:

enabling firewall and opening the iTunes port
    restarting both computers
    turning sharing on and off
    turning sharing password on and off
    disconnecting and reconnecting both machines from the network

still mac sees (and plays) from xp, but xp will not see the mac

the help file on xp itunes states the computers must be on the same subnet - i assume they are. i have a wireless router with my cable modem on the wan side, the imac in lan socket 1 and the xp machine attached to the wireless.

file sharing in the finder/explorer works both ways between both machines

!(sore head)!
  18. softwiz500 macrumors newbie

May 23, 2003
    Yep, no firewalls, and all three computers are plugged into the same router. However, the iBook, which shares correctly, isn't running 10.2.8. Maybe that's the problem with the iMac? I suppose I'll wait until panther...
  19. coolbreeze macrumors 65816

Jan 20, 2003
    I have the same problem...I can stream from my Win2K laptop to my iBook, but not from my iBook to my Win2K laptop. I've tried everything you have too, with no success.

Also, on my iTMS for Windows, I cannot preview any songs. When I click on them, nothing happens. The song title appears, and the little diamond in the progress bar also, but it doesn't move nor does music play.:confused:

One more thing. My iTunes radio stations don't work either. I just get an error that says "An error occurred while contacting the radio tuning service. Check your internet connection, or try again later." Um, my internet service works just fine.

The only thing I can do successfully is play music that I rip onto the Win2K computer. No iTms. No preview. No Radio. Booooooo
  20. simX macrumors 6502a

May 28, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Sounds like you have your QuickTime preferences set up incorrectly. This also may be the solution to the other problems people have been having with actually playing streamed music.

Make sure you've selected the correct speed for your internet connection, and also make sure you've set up the streaming settings to automatic.
  21. coolbreeze macrumors 65816

Jan 20, 2003
    Thanks for the suggestions, but it still doesn't work. It is my work lapotop, and has Norton Antivirus running (auto-protect) and there is no way to disable it. I've heard some people having issues with iTunes/iTMS with Norton running, and the solution is to simply disable/turn off Norton.

Well, I can't. Guess I should be working anyhow:D (although it is very annoying to have such limited functionality on iTunes). Sigh.