Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

i4k20c

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 10, 2005
Hey guys-

I made a thread on this earlier about how i planned to purchase a powerbook. Well here i am typing away and on my lap is a 12inch 1.5ghz superdrive powerbook, i must say this thing rocks! Currently i am just installing some updates, have yet to chcek for dead pixels, only thing i noticed is that i do experiance the rocking back and forth thing a little.. o well! If there are updates withn the next 2 weeks, i may use that to get the new one! hahaha, if not its fine! :) :)

u guys aree gonna hate me for asking this, but ne tips? hahaha, i have to read the stickies again! i forgot most the info..haha

Bern

macrumors 68000
Nov 10, 2004
Australia
It's a great feeling when you get that box, open it up and there nestled inside is a shiny new Powerbook.

The only tip I can offer is max out the ram as much as you can, makes for a very sweet laptop indeed.

i4k20c

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 10, 2005
Hey guys thanks

Yah, i'm in college and don't have much time to work.. cut the story short, parents bought it for me as a grad/bday present...i love them alot, haha not to sound materalistic, but wow, i've never owned anything so expensive and beatiful! :eek:

i did have money to buy it on my own, but idk, parents wouldnt except it..so my plan goes... this summer once i get back to my job i will buy apple care as soon as i can.. and next yr b4 going back to school, i'll prob max out the ram! so far 512 seems enough for me as the most i'll ever run is, safari(haha dont have to say ie anymore), itunes, office, adium (haha no more aim)

lol im having fun with these new apps and lingo, i just wanna type on this thing, maybe i'll write a book tonite! :p

briangig

macrumors regular
May 16, 2005
yeah mine rocks back and forth a bit too...it will wear down evenly eventually. tips? get a sleeve. if will keep it looking new and clean when not in use, in a bag, etc. and definetly max the ram out.

i4k20c

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 10, 2005
Yah idk, gotta get used to the keyboard a little, since i never type on a laptop kb, but i seem to be doing fine! I am loving mac os tho..it's nice, no problems yet! to the ppl that say its slow, idk, maybe its cuz im comming from som1 who has a p3 1ghz computer at home, but recently i been using my roomates toshiba quoismo laptop (hes a nice guy) which is a 2.0 pentium m (or close to 2 i think) and has 1.5gig of ram i belive..and this computer so far seems as fast idk... im happy with it rite now,, and hope it lasts me thru colege!

tekmoe

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
i bought my gf the same laptop you have about a month ago. she has dropped it already ( :( ) and gave it a little dent in the front left corner, but it's still functioning exactly how it was before the accident. i think it's a great laptop.

i4k20c

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 10, 2005
lol first question..

neway to hide pics on this comp? i have some files n i kno the gf wouldnt like it if som1 else found em... ;)

and im wondering if u can hide pics or w.e.. like u can in winodws?

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
you can make it a hidden file by putting a "." in front of the folder you keep the pictures in. Then to go and find the folder you either have to use a 3rd party program or if you know UNIX or the folder location you can either type it into Terminal or into "command + shift + G" in finder and then typing in the location.

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
eva01 said:
you can make it a hidden file by putting a "." in front of the folder you keep the pictures in. Then to go and find the folder you either have to use a 3rd party program or if you know UNIX or the folder location you can either type it into Terminal or into "command + shift + G" in finder and then typing in the location.

Is this just a Tiger thing? I tired doing it in Panther and I got a message that said I could not do it. Just curious.

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
Chrispy said:
Is this just a Tiger thing? I tired doing it in Panther and I got a message that said I could not do it. Just curious.

hmm i used to be able to do that maybe it was under jaguar, because now it doesn't work for me either o_O. (shows how long its been since i had to hide something :p)

well you can use Onyx to show the hidden files then put the images into one of those folders and then hide everything again

i4k20c

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 10, 2005
wait wait wait..wht r u guys talking about? onyx? what is this.. all i kno is linux is a os.. lol.. so far i got put a "." before the folder name.. :confused: :confused:

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
You could just bury the folder somewhere deep in some heirachy and drag that folder into the Spotlight preference pane so that it won't search that folder.

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
Chundles said:
You could just bury the folder somewhere deep in some heirachy and drag that folder into the Spotlight preference pane so that it won't search that folder.

This is what I do right now haha. I would be sure to have those pics hidden if they are something your g/f would not want others to see ;)

i4k20c

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 10, 2005
Chrispy said:
This is what I do right now haha. I would be sure to have those pics hidden if they are something your g/f would not want others to see ;)

Hahaha, i mean imo its not so bad, but she told me if i ever let anyone else see them without her consent, id get it! lol..hahaha better be safe than sorry, jus dont want roomate messin around or som1 to stumble on it..

So if i hide it in some heirachy of folders rite... how do i make it no so that spotlight cant even find it? "Spotlight preference pane" is that an option or prefernace somewhere in spotlight...?

i4k20c

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 10, 2005
i4k20c said:
Hahaha, i mean imo its not so bad, but she told me if i ever let anyone else see them without her consent, id get it! lol..hahaha better be safe than sorry, jus dont want roomate messin around or som1 to stumble on it..

So if i hide it in some heirachy of folders rite... how do i make it no so that spotlight cant even find it? "Spotlight preference pane" is that an option or prefernace somewhere in spotlight...?

Still would like clarification on this, but i also got another problem..when i download things VLC player, it seems to instal right on the desktop, when i move it..to the apps folder, it seems like im just makin a shortcut..how can i acutally move this somewhere..and not jus make a shortcut?

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
i4k20c said:

Yes, there is a preference for Spotlight to not search a folder, it's in the System Preferences in the Spotlight pane.

And please, full words - this "AIMspeak" must be stopped as it's getting hard to understand what you are asking.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    63 KB · Views: 192

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
i4k20c said:
Still would like clarification on this, but i also got another problem..when i download things VLC player, it seems to instal right on the desktop, when i move it..to the apps folder, it seems like im just makin a shortcut..how can i acutally move this somewhere..and not jus make a shortcut?

The application icon on a Mac is actually just a kind of folder that contains all the information for that app. This is why we can do drag and drop installs/uninstalls.

When you download a program it normally comes as a .dmg file which is short for Disk Image - in otherwords you're downloading a sort-of pseudo hard drive with the Application loaded inside. On the desktop it normally has the image of a mountable disk and in a Finder window it has an Eject button next to it.

To install a program it is simply a matter of dragging the icon for the application (remember, this is a whole folder) from within the mounted disk image to your Applications folder.

Once you have done this, you can "eject" the disk image and your application will be safe within the Applications folder.

Hope this helps.

i4k20c

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 10, 2005
Chundles said:
Yes, there is a preference for Spotlight to not search a folder, it's in the System Preferences in the Spotlight pane.

And please, full words - this "AIMspeak" must be stopped as it's getting hard to understand what you are asking.

i'm sorry,
thanks for the image it really helped! Sorry a tad bit knew at this, with macs at our school everything was locked up so i never got a chance to mess around and really experiance everything it had to offer... and jus for clarification for my other question.

When i install an application like the VLC player, it shows up rite underneat the icon macontosh HD as VLC0.8.2, well i like to keep my desktop clean so i tried to drag it to the applications folder, but that vlc icon still stayed on the desktop and just a shorcut of some sort was put in the applications folder, so my question is, how do i move the actual vlc install to my applications folder! I don't want to see it in my desktop, i want to re-locate it..

thanks again guys, sorry to be sucha pain! :(

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
i4k20c said:
i'm sorry,
thanks for the image it really helped! Sorry a tad bit knew at this, with macs at our school everything was locked up so i never got a chance to mess around and really experiance everything it had to offer... and jus for clarification for my other question.

When i install an application like the VLC player, it shows up rite underneat the icon macontosh HD as VLC0.8.2, well i like to keep my desktop clean so i tried to drag it to the applications folder, but that vlc icon still stayed on the desktop and just a shorcut of some sort was put in the applications folder, so my question is, how do i move the actual vlc install to my applications folder! I don't want to see it in my desktop, i want to re-locate it..

thanks again guys, sorry to be sucha pain! :(

Is this what you are seeing?

Cause if it is, double click on this .dmg icon (picture 1) and that will create the disk image (picture 2) and it should open a new finder window displaying the contents of the image. Then just drag the VLC icon (picture 3 you don't need to drag anything else) in that window to your Applications folder et voilá. Your application is installed and you can eject the disk and trash the .dmg file.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    112.3 KB · Views: 206
  • Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    107.2 KB · Views: 204
  • Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    56.4 KB · Views: 185

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
i4k20c said:
Yah idk, gotta get used to the keyboard a little, since i never type on a laptop kb, but i seem to be doing fine! I am loving mac os tho..it's nice, no problems yet! to the ppl that say its slow, idk, maybe its cuz im comming from som1 who has a p3 1ghz computer at home, but recently i been using my roomates toshiba quoismo laptop (hes a nice guy) which is a 2.0 pentium m (or close to 2 i think) and has 1.5gig of ram i belive..and this computer so far seems as fast idk... im happy with it rite now,, and hope it lasts me thru colege!

You'll have your Applecare, if you get it, for three years, so I suspect it will last you through college (Applecare guarantees you the three, and then Macs have pretty good reliability, so the fourth year is usually great too). It is a very nice machine. I love mine! Just take very good care of it, and always respect it. Even once you've owned it a couple years, take care of it.

When you're connected to A/C power, I suggest you change the CPU setting to "highest," for maximum performance. Click the battery icon in the upper right hand corner, and go to "open energy saver," in the drop down. On that page, make sure all details all shown, if they aren't shown, there will be a button that says "show details." From there, click "options," and then under the "processor performance," set "highest." At the top you specify, if you want it that way, when on AC, battery, or both. I'd suggest automatic, or reduced, when on battery. Highest setting, when connected to Power Adapter. I put a screen shot of my settings below.

Overall, enjoy your computer. I love its size, beauty, and performance. Truly, among several notebooks and several desktops, it is the best computer I've ever owned.

Attachments

• screenshot.jpeg
    screenshot.jpeg
    95.1 KB · Views: 205

My Yute

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2005
eva01 said:

THis got me thinking. Although finder doesn't allow you to put a "." in front of the file name, unix should. So open up a terminal window, and then rename the directory by using the command mv [old directory] .hidden. That will rename the directory you want to .hidden. THen as said before, cmd + shift + g to type in the location and find it again.

beatle888

macrumors 68000
Feb 3, 2002
i4k20c said:

just let me see the pictures so i can tell you what would be the best way to hide them.

i4k20c

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 10, 2005
again guys thanks! I realize now how even instalation on macs and sch is a different... i really had no idea these are how diff they are, but idk, im likeing this mac os alot! I'll admit, not one of those ppl who can now say i hate windows or nethng, but im really liking apple at this point..loL!

new question: I'm trying to download windows media player for mac, and when i download the .bin file and shows up on the desktop as a .sixt file, and my pb can't open it with anything it says..am i doin something wrng here? :confused: :confused: (btw, i also tried d/l the .htm file or w.e. as well and same results, shows up as .sitx)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.