Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crazydreaming

macrumors 6502a
My advice after having a new 15" Powerbook for just over a month.

1) Watch where you set your PB. I don't know how I got this, but there are these big scratches on the bottom of my Powerbook...

2) Get a case if you don't already have one

3) Buy Ram (I know I know, already mentioned, but I put in a 1GB stick, and it's like a whole new computer, really amazing).

4) Watch for Keyboard imprints on the screen. I just bought a Radtech Screensavrz because I am having this problem. I will also use it for some cleaning.

5) Take it everywhere and enjoy!

Powerbooks are the most advanced portables.

ckeck

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2005
Texas
briangig said:
yeah mine rocks back and forth a bit too...it will wear down evenly eventually. tips? get a sleeve. if will keep it looking new and clean when not in use, in a bag, etc. and definetly max the ram out.

What do you mean it rocks back and forth a bit??

i4k20c

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 10, 2005
devilot76 said:

huh? will this enable me to download windows media player?
:confused: :confused:

as far as the radatach thing goes, rite now i'm just using that little cover that came with the keyboard, i will order one from radatch once i get back to school and c if we're allowed delivers like that! I already got a nice incase bag/sleeve..jus big enug for my powerbook..

this is the case i got.. http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...oQcP1/1.0.0.15.1.0.6.9.9.17.0.1.3.1.1.2.1.0.3

i realy want the radact kb cover but i want one that says powerbook! idk why i like it more.. sux that they show it but dont have it! :(

if som1 can stil give me help on the windows media player problem (1st page, last post) id appreciate it!

i4k20c

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 10, 2005
hahaha i get it, i need to d/l stuffit, im downloading it now, so hopefly it will work, i think its stuid that u need to download some other program tho to download windows media player... but w.e.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
i4k20c said:
hahaha i get it, i need to d/l stuffit, im downloading it now, so hopefly it will work, i think its stuid that u need to download some other program tho to download windows media player... but w.e.

It's stupid of Microsoft to still have WMP as a .sitx file instead of a .zip file.

Stuffit is an older archiving program (like WinZip) that allowed Mac users to create zipped files to send over the internet. Since Apple have been building zip support into the OS, Stuffit is not as widely needed and since 10.4 has not been included with the OS.

Stuffit is a very handy program to have because a number of firms still use the .sit file for downloading although it is getting smaller and smaller. Microsoft use it so you need the program.

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
i4k20c said:
lol first question..

neway to hide pics on this comp? i have some files n i kno the gf wouldnt like it if som1 else found em... ;)

and im wondering if u can hide pics or w.e.. like u can in winodws?
It would be better to put them in a password protected disk image. That way noone can find them just by looking for hidden folders.

Create a new disk image with Disk Utility and select AES for encryption.

cza82

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2005
I'm new to this operating system as well and i has some of the same problems you did i4k20c. Stuffit is the mac equivelent to .rar archiver in windows. It will decompress archived files so you can access them. So you need stuffit to decompress the file microsoft sent you so you can install WMA. Chundles did a great job at explaining the installation of apps from the .dmg files. I wish i woulda asked I had tio figure it all out on my own :( Mac os is great though, much more complete then any windows os and much more intuitive than any Linux distro. Enjoy

tangerineyum

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2005
Ontario, CA
almost sprang for a new PB but.... this is me typing from my brand new ibook ! 14" Went and bought it this morning and got a new ipod with student promotion. Hooray ! And yes listen to everyones advice and get some more ram, i will be getting a gig from crucial this monday.

ThatSoundAgain

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2005
gekko513 said:
It would be better to put them in a password protected disk image. That way noone can find them just by looking for hidden folders.

Create a new disk image with Disk Utility and select AES for encryption.

I was about to say this. Best way to keep stuff private.

The disk utility is in applications/utilities. Just click 'new image', select a size big enough to contain your files, select encryption, name the file and give it a password. Drag your files to the new disk image, and afterwards delete the old ones (default action is to copy when you're dragging across disks).

Then make sure you remember the password! It's the only way to get to the files later.

i4k20c

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 10, 2005
hahaha glad i can help others out too.. i feel more usefull this way!
:p

I started to put files from my windows to my pb (which was a breeze thanks to macrumors!) and rite now i just have alot of folders on the desktop, since i want it to get organized and i have 2 questions..

1. If i have 50 pics and i want to rename them LV 1, LV 2, and so on, i kno you can use automator to do this right? I tried to figure it out myself and see if i can how to on apples website, but it didn't really help me, so could anyone plz tell me how to do that? :eek:

2. When i click view>clean up on my desktop so all those folders are on a grid, not all messy, everything on the most right-side of the screen seems to almost be getting cut off by a quarter. I can't see the whole name or folder, jus 3/4ths of it, is there something i need to mess with, or anyway i can move my screen over..lol?

the rockin thing is kiling me..lol! i hate how it rocks back and forth and not sure how to fix it..has anyone sucesfully fixed it?

Thanks guys! :)

nimboopaani

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2004
Mumbai, India
Here's a finder plug-in that should help you rename files sequentially in a jiffy.

In automator,
-- Get specified Finder items
-- Rename Finder items. Also, tick the "Show When Action is Run" box.

Save this as a Finder plug-in. Now, every time you have to rename a bunch of files. Just select the files you want to rename, right click, then click on the plug-in you just created (its in the Automator menu) and voila.

btw- my first post. Hope its helpful.

Cheers,
Yogi

i4k20c said:
hahaha glad i can help others out too.. i feel more usefull this way!
:p

I started to put files from my windows to my pb (which was a breeze thanks to macrumors!) and rite now i just have alot of folders on the desktop, since i want it to get organized and i have 2 questions..

1. If i have 50 pics and i want to rename them LV 1, LV 2, and so on, i kno you can use automator to do this right? I tried to figure it out myself and see if i can how to on apples website, but it didn't really help me, so could anyone plz tell me how to do that? :eek:

2. When i click view>clean up on my desktop so all those folders are on a grid, not all messy, everything on the most right-side of the screen seems to almost be getting cut off by a quarter. I can't see the whole name or folder, jus 3/4ths of it, is there something i need to mess with, or anyway i can move my screen over..lol?

the rockin thing is kiling me..lol! i hate how it rocks back and forth and not sure how to fix it..has anyone sucesfully fixed it?

Thanks guys! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.