Typing this on my brand-new 12" iBook

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by gallivant, Aug 16, 2005.

1. gallivant macrumors member

It's my first brand-new Mac. I have a secondhand TiBook 867 that's served me very well, but it's just not small enough, and love it though I do, nobody would ever claim that TiBooks are durable. I had my heart set on a PowerBook, but just couldn't rationalize the $450 premium in the face of my current financial state. Besides, I'm running a system that's nearly equivilant to a Rev C 12" PowerBook.

I have to say, the files-and-settings-transfer-over-firewire routine works incredibly well. Took about a half hour, maybe forty-five minutes to transfer over 30gb, and when I finished the setup process I was booted into the same desktop I had on my TiBook, from my Safari history to my Dock settings and everything else.

Later this week I'll get my STM Small Loop backpack, and then I'll have a truly mobility-optimized setup.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Congratulations on the buy. They're very cool. :)

Just out of interest, are you missing the larger screen?

3. gallivant thread starter macrumors member

Absolutely, but for a year and a half before I got the TiBook I was on a 1024x768 Dell, so I'm used to it. What I mainly miss is having a good-sized browser open and Adium's contact list fully visible at the same time. That, and my menu bar's looking very crowded all of a sudden. But I'll live, and I've still got the TiBook and a 1280x1024 LCD on my Linux machine, so it's not like I'm trapped at this resolution at all times.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

That's good to hear. Plus, you still have Exposé. :p

5. Studawg7 macrumors regular

12 inch user as well

i agree, i love the small size and portability of my 12" ibook. sometimes i want more screen but when i do i just plug in an external monitor. i have to give credit to apple, expose is a dream and i use it ALL the time. it even amazes my pc friends, truly an app for the mobile folk.

congrats on the new machine

6. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Congrats!

Although I would definitely say TiBooks are durable... I call em PanzerBooks... but maybe you had a bad experience. :confused: