Typo in iTunes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by yankeefan24, Jan 25, 2006.

1. yankeefan24 macrumors 65816

yankeefan24

I know that this is fairly minor, but i noticed that on the Top 10 songs list in the US store, its says for number 1. Breaking Free Gabriela & Troy. For the number 6. it says Start of Something New Gabriella & Troy. If you notice, the first time they spell Gabriella with one l, and on all of the other times, including on the album, it spells it with two l's. This might not be a major concern at first, but if you organize your music into smart playlists by artist, and on the ipod, they will be listed as two different artists. On the iPod, even if you change it, i noticed that it will still keep them different if they are on the same album and you change it, so if this is the same with the artists, this could be an inconvience. Also, does this mean that there might be other typos on iTunes that people haven't noticed? As i said, i was just pointing this out, and it isn't major, but i think apple should fix this and be more careful in the future.

EDIT: This album has alot of songs on the top 10! And it was produced by Disney. I didn't even notice these songs on the top 100 until sunday. I highly doubt this but could this have something to do with Disney buying Pixar. Disney makes more money, and therefore, steve makes more. I don't remember this song in a new songs tuesday e-mail or anything. they just showed up on the top 10 when i checked sunday, and i realized that they were produced by disney on monday.

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Pssst... send Apple feedback. You're right, it should be fixed. But don't pretend you've never been responsible for a mis-spelling in your life. ;)

3. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Look at the iTunes Music Store front page today. It says "HARD-Fi. FREE DOWNLOAD." Note the all caps "HARD" and the lowercase "i" in "Fi".

Click the link and the Single of the Week description calls them "Hard-Fi", with mixed-case "Hard" and lowercase "i".

But the artist name shown in the song listing on the same page says "Hard-FI", with a mixed-case "Hard" and an uppercase "I".

Not a big deal, but something of note to nitpickers like me.

4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

The worst thing is that most of this information is entered by the distribution company. You'd think they would just be able to copy and paste.

A friend's music ended up as someone else's because the two of them have the same name and someone was too lazy to create a separate artist i.d. That took a good 6 months to be fixed. :eek:

5. yankeefan24 thread starter macrumors 65816

yankeefan24

another good idea i find on macrumors.

I did a google search for the show (on disney) and Gabriella and Troy are not their real names, those are their names on the show. Another irrelevent note, but if it was me, i would want to be listed as my real name, not my characters name. As i said, this could be an inconvience if you owned multiple songs by them, but it really doesn't bother me. If i can figure out how to tell apple i will. thanx for the replys.

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Also, by the way, you can change song details yourself with the information window for the song, even if it's a purchased song. So you can fix this on your computer easily. I change the genres on a lot of my purchased music, and sometimes, I change the artist too. Usually because they list several artists, and so it creates a new unique artist entry, like it'll be Usher, Twista, Kanye West, & Jermaine Dupri, for an Usher song. I change it back to Usher, and then change the title to say "Confessions, Pt. II (Remix, Twista, ...)" or something like that. :) You're allowed to make all of these changes to purchased music.

7. yankeefan24 thread starter macrumors 65816

yankeefan24

I actually tried that before with the Black Eyed Peas, i got the single, and i wanted to put it into the album to match with some other songs i got from the album. And also, i got Yeah (Usher) from a promo disc and i tried to change it to the album, and it didn't work. Maybe that doesn't apply with artists, but it never has worked for me with albums (artwork maybe).

8. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

And the iTunes MiniStore changes its recommendations based on the info you fill in, so it'll match other songs based on corrections you make. And, in theory, be unable to find other songs with the original typo.

I changed "Foo Fighters" to "Ella Fitzgerald" while playing a Foo Fighters song. Sure enough, it recommended an Ella Fitzgerald album and switched the display live while the song was still playing.

9. Loge macrumors 68020

Loge

Thelonious Monk, sometimes mis-spelled as Thelonius? That seems to be case on the album covers too, though.

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Wait, so explain what you did again, please? Let me try to replicate it for you. Did you try to change the Album Title field and you were not able to do this?

11. yankeefan24 thread starter macrumors 65816

yankeefan24

No. I bought the single of a song on BEPs new album when it was a single. Then, i bought 4 more songs from that album. I decided that it would be easier to manage if I changed the name of the album in the album field from Don't Phunk With My Heart- Single to Monkey Business (Special Edition) [Bonus Video Version]. The only way that you could tell the difference would be the album artwork and composer. And on my iPod, in album view, it lists it as a seperate album. I don't use it in album mode, but its something that i noticed once. I haven't checked it on my nano or with the latest software, but i remember it being a different menu on the ipod. the same goes for Yeah!, and some other songs by Usher. But, the difference between the two instances is that i got Yeah! off of a demo cd, and i bought the other usher songs.

12. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

But what is it exactly that didn't work? I thought this is the same thing as what I said.

FWIW, I did try changing the album name of a song and there was no problem doing this.

13. yankeefan24 thread starter macrumors 65816

yankeefan24

i think it had to do with an older version of the ipod or something. I might have made a typo like ( instead of [. I'll have to check. It's on my old ipod.

The problem did not concern me, but this is what it looked like (in an ipod interface):

Monkey Business (S…
    Monkey Business (S…

so, i could have had a typo in there. I will edit this after i check.

EDIT: I just checked on the ipod and its still there. Plugging it into computer to see if there was a typo.

EDIT 2: I checked and there was only one difference. the one that i changed had no space between (Special Edition)[Bonus Video version] and the ones that itunes did showed this (Special Edition) [Bonus Video version]. I know that this is my fault, and i never realized it before, but i think it is something apple should fix with the ipod. That and when you have a feat. song. Thanx for your help though.

14. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Mmmm, so what do you want Apple to fix? You want the iPod to guess when album names are close enough that you probably made a typo? ;)

Mmm, one more thing that sometimes screws things up is if the number of discs in the album or possibly the year field is different from song to song. I think this might result in multiple album entries sometimes. But I'm not 100% on that.

15. yankeefan24 thread starter macrumors 65816

yankeefan24

I mean that the ipod sofware should not be so sensitive that a space makes it. I also think that apple should fix the fact that if you have an album, with some songs that have other people in them, it should recognize under all the artists involved not their own sub menu. Example, if you have a song by Usher feat. Ludacris, it should list under usher, and ludacris. not their own sub menu. some people may not like that but that is my opinion. I also use playlists and the whole songs sub menu most of the time so it really doesn't bother me.

16. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Definitely agree that something different should be done about this.

17. Cinematographer macrumors 6502a

Cinematographer

Live In Cuba

A few weeks ago I bought a few songs by Simply Red: http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?id=109858442&s=143459
    Then I found out that the title informations where mixed up: track 2 had the title of track 1 and vice versa. I did send a feedback to iTMS, but the mistake is still there.

Do you see the same mistake in the US Store? Or don't you see it at all, since it's the "Live In Cuba"-EP? :D :rolleyes: