U.S. Army Acquires More Macs To Enhance Cybersecurity

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 21, 2007.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

The U.S. Army believes that diversifying its computing platforms, in part by integrating more Macs, will make it more secure against cyberattacks like the ones that occurred over the summer to the Pentagon and a number of defense contractors.

According to Forbes, the Army has quietly begun to integrate Macs into its systems. While Macs currently only make up around 20,000 of the Army's 700,000 computers, Macs are currently entering the Army at a rate of approximately 2,000 per year.

The previous barriers to Apples entering the Army have recently been overcome by Common Access Card (CAC) software development efforts by a Texas developer (CAC's are used extensively by the military) and security concerns outweighing cost concerns.

Every now and then questions rise about the security of Mac OS X. Earlier this year was the Month of Apple Bugs, and just this week was an article claiming that Mac OS X had 5 times more flaws than Windows over the past year. However, developments like this seem to indicate that Apple's security reputation remains positive amongst IT professionals.

Article Link

2. macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

A little old by now but it is interesting news.

More Mac users is always good. :D

I hope that they can develop something for us.

3. macrumors 68040

Stridder44

Only good news here.

4. macrumors newbie

tothecore

heh...if we keep rubbing it in their face... we'll end up like a PC fearing viruses more & more

5. macrumors 68020

noodle654

I wonder what Macs they are using. I would expect Mac Pro's with like 3.0GHz Quad Core??

6. macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

More then likely XServes.

7. macrumors 68020

noodle654

Ohhh, you are probably right. I forgot all about the Xservers.

8. Retired

psychofreak

Boy are they going to feel silly when massive updates come at MWSF :rolleyes:

9. macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

You don't when you have a few and a personal copy of Leopard Server. ;)

10. macrumors 68020

noodle654

Damn your lucky.

11. macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Education discounts and seminars really help.

12. macrumors newbie

New Security update just added.

13. macrumors regular

I wonder if we might see a Mac vs PC taking an army perspective? A US vs Iraq perspective perhaps? We all know Microsoft have hidden WMDs in their software code.

Personally, I'm just waiting for someone to point out that the M1A1 tank feels snappier.

14. macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Indeed

15. macrumors member

Now that was funny!

16. macrumors 6502

Cool, maybe now they port America's Army back to Mac ;-)

17. macrumors 6502a

AoWolf

They only bought macs to do the artwork for it =p

18. macrumors 65816

FX120

I am a little surprised they're not more focused on improving their network security rather than their client machines.

No matter what OS you use, you're only really as secure as the network you're attached to.

19. macrumors 6502

A lot of the military uses common, standardized platforms like NMCI. I suspect there is little room in these environments for Macs- I recently witnessed a bunch of LCDs being surplused because they weren't on the NMCI approved list. So the old CRTs already in place and on the list were retained instead- brilliant.

I'm sure there will always be remote corners of the DOD where Macs can pop up. In fact, the data processing and analysis area of the base I work at uses Macs- somehow they avoided the NMCI mandate presumably because they made a compelling argument that they had special needs. But don't look for a Macbook Pro on the General's desk anytime soon.

20. macrumors regular

Really Huge...

The strategy is to avoid a monoculture by diversifying between operating systems like Windows, Linux, and OS X. It should prevail from the server to the desktop.

It's a huge thing for the military to accept Apple hardware, both for AAPL and the OSX community. For AAPL, it means ~20%+ of US Military (and other militaries around the world eventually) computer purchases are possible with little effort. For OSX, it means that major US government software vendors will not be able to ignore the platform no matter what their preferences are.

There has been talk of this movement for years, but this is the first time the US Military has really gone to the lengths of emphasizing it as a strategy. There should be fallout in corporate america as well. Really, this is a huge story with amazing impact on Apple's opportunities!

21. macrumors regular

22. macrumors regular

bluedevil14

5 times more flaws? Thats a load of crap.

23. macrumors 68040

Stridder44

Anti-Mac people even felt that article was a load of crap.

24. macrumors 603

notjustjay

I have one of those at my workplace :D Loud things. They sound like a jet airplane about to take off -- naturally, because of the way their turbine engine works.

Glad to see the US Army thinks diversification (including Apple) is a good idea. Let's see if other governments follow suit.

25. macrumors newbie

A rate of approximately 2,000 per year, eh?

If the Army has 20,000 Macs and we estimate a four-year lifespan per Mac, they'd need 5,000 Macs per year "entering the Army" just to keep the numbers constant. So what the article actually says is that Mac numbers are dropping fast.

If we assume what was meant was an increase of 2,000 Macs per year, (20,000, 22,000, 24,000, etc) and we generously assume a matching decrease in Windows numbers (700,000, 680,000, 660,000), then the Mac will have achieved parity with Windows (360,000 each) in a mere 170 years.

Whoopee.