U.S. City With the Smartest People Is...

Discussion in 'Community' started by TimDaddy, Nov 17, 2003.

1. TimDaddy macrumors 6502

Versailles, KY (and that's pronounced Vurr-sales)
    ...Minneapolis, Minnesota.

That's the word from researchers at the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater who studied statistics from five categories and 13 different measurements of literacy to provide a ranking for 64 U.S. cities with a population of 250,000 or more. The literacy profile for each city included citizens' educational level, newspaper circulation rates, library resources, the number of periodicals published in that city, and the number of booksellers.

The 10 most literate U.S. cities are:
    1. Minneapolis, Minnesota
    2. Seattle, Washington
    3. Denver, Colorado
    4. Atlanta, Georgia
    5. San Francisco, California
    6. Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    7. Washington, D.C.
    8. Louisville, Kentucky:)
    9. Portland, Oregon
    10. Cincinnati, Ohio

I was pleasantly surprised to see a Kentucky city in the list! The rest of the article can be found here:
    http://channels.netscape.com/ns/news/package.jsp?name=fte/smartestpeople/smartestpeople

2. Foxer macrumors 65816

Foxer

The bottom ten are also interesting. Surprised to see my adopted home town of Milwaukee not bringing up the rear.

What constitutes a city? My old home of Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill has many highly educated people, newspapers and periodicals published.

3. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I'm glad to see there was one city from Floriduh in the bottom 10. I'm surprised that Floriduh didn't hold all of the positions since we have the highest dropout rate of any state.

4. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Happy to see that my native Ohio did so well, Cincinnati was #10. Disappointed to see the ranking of Toledo at #54. My wife and I grew up just 30 miles from Cincinnati. I wonder what the ranking of Boston would be? Boston did rank as the #1 college town. We were also lucky not to make the list for a party college.

5. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I'm not surprised to see New Orleans isn't on that list. We likely have some of the dumbest people I'd say. :rolleyes:

6. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Re: U.S. City With the Smartest People Is...

I added the populations of the actual cities. They come from Wikipedia (http://www.wikipedia.com/) and are from the 2000 census.

Anyone notice that not one of the top ten cities breaks one million. And only SF is 3/4 of a Million. I grew up in the Seattle area, and I work in the Portland area. Unfortunately I go to school in Flint, MI. (The 2nd Worst City in the US)

TEG

7. Foxer macrumors 65816

Foxer

Do we know if they did entire "metro" regions or only actual residents of the city?

8. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

The smartest people move away from Boston after they graduate. :p

9. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

If you have ever lived in WA, seattle specifically, than you have noticed and remembered the immense number of libraries, book stores, and reading venues that we have :)

We are also considered, up here in seattle, to be some of the most in shape and athletic people ;)

But who's talking ;)

What is up with those population figures? when were they taken? 1972?
    Seattle has a population of over 1.25 million if I remember correctly.

10. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

Those population figures are for the cities proper, not the metro areas.

11. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

It is sad. But it is a very understandable reason. Housing is one of the most expensive in the US. Some Companies and Universities have resorted to purhcasing housing for employees.

12. yamabushi macrumors 65816

yamabushi

The population of the entire Twin Cities area here in Minnesota is over two million. About another two million are spread across the rest of the state. That population from Wikipedia looks odd to me. Data that I remember put Minneapolis at around 680k and Saint Paul at around 360k with another 900k in the rest of the metro area.

Most of my family lives either here in MN or in Seattle so I guess we live among the brightest bulbs in the nation. You wouldn't know it from the idiots I see driving each day.
    :)

13. jzieske macrumors regular

The 2000 Census puts Minneapolis at 382,618 people. You are right though the entire metro area is aprox 2 million people.

You are certainly right about the driving though, we would NOT win that award

14. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

well i was expecting more states from the south on the bottom ten but i guess texas stole it from us.

iJon

15. yamabushi macrumors 65816

yamabushi

Obviously my memory wasn't perfect. I think I must have been thinking of the populations for Hennepin and Ramsey Counties. Minneapolis is in Hennepin County and Saint Paul is in Ramsey County. The populations for both have grown considerably since I last checked several years ago. Here is a more detailed breakdown of the population of the Twin Cities. http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/3036910.htm

16. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

I'm not surprised to see several Texas cities on the bottom. We have so many illegal immigrants, and people from across the border that are just uneducated or don't speak English (although I'm not sure if that was a factor of this study.)

It seems like every city anyone's been in should be on the bottom because we always seem to meet the stupid people first...

17. TimDaddy thread starter macrumors 6502

Versailles, KY (and that's pronounced Vurr-sales)
    I wonder when the study was done. Lousiville and Jefferson County, KY, recently merged governments. In the 2000 census, Lousiville had a population of just over 252,000. It was actually smaller in population than Lexington. After the merger, the population is estimated at 693,000, or the 16th largest city in the U.S. That adds a lot of schools, bookstores, and libraries to the study area, if the study was done after the merger.

18. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

okay time for the top ten list for the coolest city in the u.s.a.

the definitive first place position goes to Austin, Texas.

w3rd.

19. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-All

Hmm. I think that's a stretch - going from literacy rates to decide who is 'smartest'.

I think any judgment as to who is smartest is only valid when Darwin Award Winners and Runners-Up are added to the weighing.

:D

20. phrancpharmD macrumors regular

Agree with first part; second part is just hilarious! Seriously though, I'm very pleasantly suprised to see Atlanta in the top five - you sure wouldn't know it by living here. . .

21. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

haha, yeah. I'm too busy with school and band and football games to get out and see the city, but next semester should change that...

22. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

so so true

one of my older national geographics from the mid to late 80s claims that austin has the highest percentage of college grads in the united states...that does not surprise me since so many creative people hail from austin

one of the most educated regions in america, in certain fields like medicine and biotech, is the research triangle in north carolina and there are several universities and teaching hospitals there... and there is a high percentage of really smart asians and indians who live and work there and they are the cream of the crop from their respective regions of the world...maybe the cure for AIDS, heart disease, or cancer will be found there

but i am glad that san francisco (#5) is in there...it's a pretty smart city but it's hard to define smart though

there are some really great colleges in that city

highly ranked national universities:

ucsf medical school
    uc berkeley nearby
    stanford nearby

top level law school:

hastings law school

top level art schools:

art institute sf
    sf college of arts and crafts
    sf institute of art

business schools:

golden gate university
    university of san francisco
    heald college (associate degree level)

major regional university:

san francisco state university

and many other colleges i forgot to mention ;)

23. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

you have to be kidding me...

the top ten are way more interesting.

Austin should be up thurr.

scem0

24. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

man you are privileged to be able to live in that city and go to the best got dang school in texas. don't take it for granted. ;)