U.S. Corrects Report to Show Rise in Terrorism

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Jun 22, 2004.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

link

2. wwworry macrumors regular

It is heartening to hear them admit a mistake. :)

3. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

but they will never admit it was an intentional mistake... too many coincidences and "mistakes" with this administration...

4. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

And they made an awful lot more noise with the original announcement than with the retraction. :mad:

5. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

Isn't that how it always works?

6. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

So if the original report (falsely) was used by the Bush administration as evidence of success in the WOT, does the opposite now hold true? Can democrats claim it as evidence that the WOT is losing ground, or is the use of this report for political purposes limited to the GOP?

7. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Check out this interview with Cofer Black at the State Department. It gets off to this inauspicious start:

MARGARET WARNER: The last time you all released this report in April, Secretary Armitage introduced you by saying, "in these pages, you'll find clear evidence that we're prevailing in this fight." Based on these new numbers, would you say that today?

COFER BLACK: I think the global war on terrorism is one that has witnessed a considerable amount of success, and we certainly should do a lot better job cataloging our successes. We have been able to catalog the significant loss of life and the injuries. In this report, Margaret, we just put out there. We list 625 dead and 3,646 injured.

I think to me the most significant statistic is that Islamic extremist terrorism is a prime factor in this. More than almost 50 percent of these casualties have taken place in 11 instances during the year. So we have both a few number of attacks with tremendous amounts of casualties, and at the same time we have an all-time high in the number of significant terrorist events, 175. The last time we had that was 1999 where there were 168. At the same time, we have 208 total instances.

So we have basically a mixed story in this -- the numbers of instances, the numbers of casualties. But I think the bottom line for your audience to consider is that of all these casualties and this considerable loss of life and injury, it's been mainly among non-Americans. Only approximately 1.5 percent of all these casualties are Americans. And so that means that 98.5 percent are foreigners. So the brunt of this global war on terrorism in terms of casualties so far in the year 2003 has been with non-Americans abroad.​

Well just so long as they're just foreigners....

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/terrorism/jan-june04/terror_6-22.html

8. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-Gents

You guys have far more faith in the abilities of this administration than I do. I, for one don't think they have their act together well enough to fake this. Frankly, I think it was what it was, a screwup.

9. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

jesus christ! i can't believe he said that!

anyone familiar w/ what happened in noonday, TX? if not, have a read and ask yourself how lucky we've been.

10. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-zimv20

Thank you for illustrating my point for me :D

11. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

it is my pleasure :)

12. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

If you do indeed feel that way then I have a couple of questions for you. One, do they have their act together enough to run this country for 4 more years in your opinion? And two, if the administration used a trumped up report (even by accident) to claim success in the WOT, should they also, in your opinion, accept blame for the increase in attacks?

13. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

And is it not extraordinary that, having had someone produce such dramatic figures, they did not bother to double-check? Reminiscent of reliance on Chalabi...
    "If it suits your purpose, don't look twice."

14. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Bingo. And if the figures no longer support the story-line, come up with a new story-line.

15. radhak macrumors regular

and that is the most galling to me. This administration has time and again revelled in proving itself incompetent (of course, the other option would have been to accept being part of a conspiracy). They have done (and not done) stuff that would get anybody else fired in similar situations, but they seriously believe that just by acknowledging errors they are are forgiven.

much less significant mistakes in the corporate world would stop careers short, but not here. Imagine a ceo / cfo trying to escape blame of mis-stated earnings statements with a 'it was a clerical / computer error'.

I am sure a lot republican party veterans are ruing the effect of such casual 'mea culpa' on their individual standing and in their constituencies.

16. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-mactastic

My answer to your (1): In a word, nope! But then Government isn't a pinnacle of organization efficiency or even best practices in general. The last thing a buiness wants to do when presenting a reorg plan, is to use government as an example. Government functions, but not as well as the private sector - and never really will. As for this current administration, no, I don't think they meet even the low standards of governance.

My answer to your (2): Ayep! The sword cuts both ways! And I dislike the fact they seem to feel immune. But then, that's politics.