U.S. Department of Defense Approves iOS 6 Devices for Military Networks

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 17, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

Following a report from earlier this month indicating that the U.S. Department of Defense was preparing to approve Apple devices running iOS 6 for use on military networks, Bloomberg now reports that the department has officially issued the authorization, opening the door for greater use of Apple's products.
    The report notes that out of more than 600,000 mobile devices used by the Defense Department, only about 41,000 of those are Apple products, with most of those not connected directly to the military's networks. With the new approvals, Apple and Samsung are expected to eat into BlackBerry's roughly 75% share of mobile devices within the agency.

As noted in the report earlier this month, the Department of Defense's approval of iOS 6 devices for sensitive applications is expected to have impact beyond the military, with other businesses requiring strict security standards becoming more likely to embrace Apple's products.

Pentagon approval for iOS 6 devices comes just as The Street reports that the U.S. Air Force is expecting to save more than $50 million over ten years following last year's decision to replace thousands of pages of flight manuals with iPads.
    The Air Force is not the only group switching to iPads to replace traditional flight bags used by pilots, as a number of commercial airlines have also begun transitioning to the technology in order to reduce weight and therefore fuel costs, as well as lighten loads for the pilots themselves.

Update: Apple has provided a comment on the Pentagon approval to AllThingsD:
    (Photo: James Rogers/The Street)

Article Link: U.S. Department of Defense Approves iOS 6 Devices for Military Networks
  2. macrumors regular

Mar 21, 2013
    Opps, I accidentally the national defence networks
  3. macrumors regular

Sep 19, 2009
    Just in time for iOS7. Yup, sounds about right.
  4. macrumors 6502

Oct 5, 2012
  5. macrumors 6502

Jan 26, 2006
    SLC, Utah
    So if we lose the nuke codes, it's cool, they're in the cloud.
  6. macrumors Nehalem

Feb 19, 2005
    You accidentally what?

This was bound to happen and it's a good step for Apple.
  7. macrumors 65816

Mar 10, 2003
    I'm wondering which "Samsung devices" are approved, as this would seem to cover quite a bit more operating systems and subtle variations on each.
  8. macrumors 6502a

Mar 9, 2010
    Hopefully I'll be able to add my .mil email address to my phone eventually. Considering its on NIPRNET already I don't see why not. Now all I need is a CAC reader that interfaces with the lightning port, and I'd be mobile for 99% of my work.
  9. macrumors 6502a

Sep 18, 2007
    New Mexico

I know they are not going to be using off-the-shelf anything, but are there really no Android viruses/malware to worry about here?
  10. macrumors member

Feb 12, 2008
    Look how ancient everything else in that photo is.
  11. testcard, May 17, 2013
    Last edited: May 17, 2013

macrumors 68000

Apr 13, 2009
    Middle England
    The mushroom iCloud.
  12. macrumors 6502

Jan 23, 2013
    Samsung devices with the Knox were approved around May 2nd, so I suspect it's the S4, unless they release it for the Notes and S3.
  13. macrumors 6502

Mar 9, 2012
    Now all North Korea has to do is send several spys down south to Samsung`s Galaxy team. :p
  14. macrumors regular

May 15, 2013
    it works, unlike half the tech floating around today

new isnt always best, you realize, esp when its full of software/hardware bugs
  15. macrumors 6502a

Jun 17, 2009
    The CCTV Capital of the World
    Typical.... USAF spend $1.5 billon on just one stealth bomber and quibble about a mere $750,000 total fuel saving... ;)
  16. macrumors regular

May 15, 2013
    yes but paper is impervious to EMP attacks / lighting striking a plane

good luck with your flash storage :confused:
  17. macrumors 6502a

Mar 9, 2010
    Yep! I work on a C2ISR platform and some of our comm parts are older than our airframe, but they also fail the least. Military systems don't have the luxury of being as widely tested before they go mission capable due to security reasons and whatnot, so they only earn their worth after many hours of flying real world missions and subsequent optimizations.
  18. macrumors 604

Nov 26, 2007
    Hoping someone here might be a pilot or might know a pilot they can ask and have this question answered:

How many of those papers have you actually read in the air, personally? Can you estimate how many of those papers anyone has ever or will ever read while in the air?

It just seems to me that it's impossible to realistically need so much information with you and that having it all in book form is really that useful, but I have no experience with this stuff so I'd like to hear from someone who knows.
  19. macrumors regular

May 14, 2013
    Are there viruses on Linux? I know there is malware, but it should be avoidable I'd think.

I used to think these things were toys back in 2009.
  20. HMI
    macrumors 6502a

May 23, 2012
    I still have 10+ years worth of old paper maps in the trunk of my car that I haven't touched since I got my iPhone.

Time to clean out my car!

How much do you think I'll save in fuel costs each year?
  21. macrumors 65816

Jul 19, 2006
    It's always refreshing to see our armed forces get a complex math calculation correct. ;)
  22. macrumors 6502a

Apr 30, 2008
  23. macrumors 6502a

Oct 24, 2011
  24. macrumors newbie

Jul 28, 2011
    Honolulu, HI
    The problem is that you never know when you might need them...emergency, divert, etc. Trust me, everything that is carried is needed whether it's a flight manual or an approach plate. On any given mission we could be re-cut in flight to be sent anywhere. Not having the proper pubs on board would hamper that capability especially in the airlift community. Not so much in the fighter world.

The Air Force has been testing iPads in the cockpit for quite some time now. Where it gets complicated is that an iPad is a very significant weakness that can be exploited by both state and non-state actors. Unfortunately, as with so many things in the DoD, what started out as a good idea has turned into a complete mess. The Air Force saw a great way to save money by having an EFB like the iPad, but didn't think it all the way through. What if it's compromised? Now you have an iPad with a camera on it in a potentially sensitive environment.

The AF made a big mistake going with Apple on this one. All that was really needed was an e-reader with PDF capability.
  25. macrumors member

Feb 26, 2008

So, will there have to be an iPhone/iPad accessory that can read CACs?