U.S. Dodges Robertson Comments on Chavez

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by leekohler, Aug 24, 2005.

1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i would be impressed if the administration officially condemned the statement. i expect to be disappointed.

3. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Well, they have to be careful. Don't to make their base mad! Just goes to show you, they don't care about doing the right thing, they just want to please their base and get re-elected.

4. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Since we've now got three (count 'em three) threads on this subject, I guess I have permission to repeat my point.

I have to wonder what the consequences might be if someone who wasn't part of the president's political base advocated the murder of an international leader who happened to be friendly to the U.S.. Surely the administration would not have let it go so lightly. Surely they would have expressed at least some small degree of outrage. Just another example of the tone-deafness we've learned to expect from the Bush administration.

5. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Or, indeed, if someone from another country advocated topping George.

6. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Sounds like Robertson just declared a fatwa on Chavez. Except he doesn't have the balls to stick to it since he's now claiming that 'assassination' means 'kidnapping'. :rolleyes:

7. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Is that "take him out" as in "take him out the door"?

8. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I wonder if this little incident makes 'Rat wonder whether Christianity is a religion of peace...

9. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Or, "take him out for lunch"?

10. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

(slapping palm to forehead)
    Just another boneheaded religious person. :rolleyes:

11. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Careful with that: you might crack the screen. I've heard they're not too robust.
    :p

12. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Funny how when it's Newsweek, they're inciting violence by saying the wrong thing, but when it's CBN it's nothing more than 'the expression of one citizen.'
    Isn't this supposed to be a president with strong moral compass, who will stand up to anyone no matter how unpopular the position? Pretty lame reaction so far... One could almost get the impression he is afraid to piss of the base of the American Taliban wing of the GOP.

13. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

assassination vs. kidnapping = it's a matter of longer or shorter "naps". Unfortunatley, "backpedal" gets lost in translation. "Repensar" doesn't quite provide the same illustrative picture.
    X

14. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

How about "eating your words"?

15. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Ya, that would be in line with
    "meterse la pata" would transliterate well, but then we'd be back on "foot".
    X

16. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Good call. Have we all noticed that Robertson hasn't apologized for his remarks, only tried to "explain" them? Even Trent Lott was more forthcoming when he was caught with a bad case of foot in mouth disease. Hey, Pat -- even an insincere apology is better than none, but I bet you've got way too much pride for that!

17. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

As IJ already observed, with three threads on the subject I'm repeating myself, but the importance of Robertson's statement is that he is so close to the reins of power. Every GOP operative and elected official who works with Robertson should be asked to not only repudiate his statement, but also any ties with him in the future. How can the President condemn terrorism and then meet and greet a man who advocates murder? Don't get me wrong, I've no doubt Bush would like to do what Roberston suggests (indeed I wouldn't be surprised if he has already tried,) but he is not quite dumb enough to crow about it. Still, Bush and all of Robertson's GOP pals should have their feet held to the minister's fiery words.

18. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

well, pat has this terminal infection called "his head up his ass" that prevents him from apologizing.

19. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

from here:
    nice lie he's caught in.

20. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

He's run for president, don't forget. Carried several states in the Republican primary.

21. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

A strategy that the GOP themselves would understand very well...
    Indeed you can tell a lot about a person by the company they keep... And who keeps company with Robertson? Well, Shrub for one. The GOP has consistently aligned themselves with these kinds of people, to the point where they can rightfully be called the party of Robertson and Falwell and Dobson.

Link'd

22. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Yes, and he claims credit for Bush's election. Regardless of the validity of the claim, there is no doubt about Robertson's influence in the Republican Party. This is not some isolated zealot speaking only for himself. In fact, if one person truly embodies the validity of the phrase "the American Taliban" it is Robertson. Want to fight extremist religious politicians? Start at home and then the rest of the world may start to believe we aren't just about starting a modern day Crusade in the Middle East.

23. kalisphoenix macrumors 65816

kalisphoenix

Not to mention the fact that he's a @#$%ing Nazi...

24. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Agreed. It's about time someone forced them to explain why they continue to use and invite the influence of the bigoted and lunatic fringe masquerading in clerical garb. Truth be told, Bush is not really different, but the SCLM gives him a free ride on this kind of extremism within his own ranks. About time he is called on it.