U.S Economy shows above-average growth 10th straight quarter

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Heb1228, Nov 30, 2005.

1. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

The economy continued its growth at 4.3% in Q3 of 2005, despite hurricane setbacks. That's 10 straight quarters of above 3% growth.

From the Associated Press:
    [​IMG]

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2005/11/30/D8E6TP300.html

2. Heb1228 thread starter macrumors 68020

Heb1228

Just seems like all anybody talks about is bad news around here... I thought you'd like to hear some good news for a change! :D

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

4. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

I just switched from Geico to another car insurance and saved $357.

5. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

For whom is this news good?

6. Heb1228 thread starter macrumors 68020

Heb1228

Anybody that lives in America and wants a strong economy.

7. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

More specifics please. Exactly where did the growth come from? What sectors of the economy?

8. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Really? Including people who are seeing their wages stagnate, and their benefits reduced or eliminated? This in fact is the story of American labor in the aggregate for the last five years. Growth in GDP is an almost entirely theoretical number if the benefits don't accrue to working people, and right now, they are not.

9. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

I'm glad the economy is picking up. Now, if only it will pick up a little in Michigan.

10. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Damn right. My company's getting ready to lay people off again, despite their profits being up. Nice, huh?

11. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

How do you expect them to keep their profits up?

Obligatory....

:rolleyes:

12. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Oh! I thought they did that by not paying me for the extra hours I work on Saturday and Sunday to get them new business. Silly me! :rolleyes:

13. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

You didn't expect them to side with the non prophet making organizations, did you?

:cool:

14. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

intentional?

15. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Very good.
    :)

16. tristan macrumors 6502a

The GDP growth looks great because the govt is consistently understating inflation. The CPI is a joke when housing's going up 20%+ a year and oil prices are doubling. Things are not nearly as rosy as the stats show. Why does the US stock market have the worst performance of any of the major world indices? Because the dollar is worth a lot less, next year looks lousy, and the US is seen as a poorer investment climate thanks to our high costs, high taxes, and low returns.

17. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

You should share some of this good economic news with the 30,000 GM workers who will be layed (laid?) off over the coming months.

18. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Hey, not to worry -- some of them will be able to find new McJobs somewhere, eventually, for half of what they make now.

19. Heb1228 thread starter macrumors 68020

Heb1228

Toyota, Nissan and some other companies are expanding their American assembly plants.

20. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

are you putting up a couple indicators vs. what's happened to the manufacturing industry over the past 10 years and saying everything's hunky dory?

21. Heb1228 thread starter macrumors 68020

Heb1228

I'm saying that some things may be up while others are down. Overall, things are up. The horse carriage industry took a big hit when cars got big. Those people had to find different jobs.

Everything isn't "hunky dory" but the majority of it is.

22. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I think the president just found a new speech writer.

23. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Funny that the economy is booming (the rich getting richer) while average worker is paying double digit inflation in health care costs while seeing a decline in benefits, not to mention seeing their wages fail to rise in a comparable manner. (the middle class getting poorer)

Toss in higher fuel costs (and yes, they are higher than they were last year at this time for those with short-term memories), shaky pension and retirement futures for many working at places that once provided a good retirement prospect and you get those nice low consumer confidence numbers we've seen lately. Even the recent rise in CC still puts it just above the basement it's been in while the 'economy' steams along.

The only reason unemployment isn't through the roof is because the service sector has been picking up the people who are losing $20/hour jobs for $10/hour ones.

Oh and the deficit? Yeah, there's that too. Borrow and spend is all we see. Higher interest rates to come? For our kids, definitely.

And another nice result of the Taxes = Evil crowd is that while the elected officials are scared to death of raising taxes, they just pass the burden on in fees and assessments and fines and other regulatory costs. The anti-tax crowd hasn't figured out that unless you actually cut the size of government along with taxes you don't accomplish anything. And of course those people are afraid to actually cut government. So they just mis-manage it ala FEMA and then point to it and say "Look how bad government functions. Let the private sector handle it."