U.S. Has Plans to Again Make Own Plutonium

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Jun 27, 2005.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

link

2. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

Oh well. If they slap that "National Security" sticker on it, there is no stopping them.

3. iGary Guest

iGary

I think the Voyager spacecraft has this material in it.

Could be wrong.

4. Nickygoat macrumors 6502a

Nickygoat

Pu -239 has no military uses (it's unsuitable for nuclear weapons). Maybe they want to use it to reduce the US's dependence on foreign oil. I read an interesting article that claimed the neo-cons were thinking along the same lines as environmental groups - reducing the dependency on oil - but for different reasons. Don't think this was what Greenpeace had in mind though. Pu -239 is a component in MOX fuel which is highly efficient - the problem comes in handling and disposing of it. Maybe it's classified because they don't want the oil companies to know?

5. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-iGary

Yes, and Cassini too.

6. takao macrumors 68040

takao

wel lthe question is: what other military uses are there ? if they would need it for some space vehicles like voyager etc. i doubt the russians would make problems..
    so they are stuck with spy satelites etc.

7. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

For what it's worth, I heard it was to be used in machines which tap into undersea phone cables, as well as spacecraft.