U.S. hostage beheaded, terror group says

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by wdlove, Jun 18, 2004.

1. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

2. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Honestly if it were me about to beheaded I would expect to die. If it were my wife I would start arranging the funeral. If it were me I wouldn't want anything done for the terrorists to get me free. If it were my wife I would hope I have the same attitude. If they get paid off for one they will take 1000.

3. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

You'd think those a-holes would finally get a sword to do the deed quick at least. But you only see a large knife in the pics.
    These reprobates need to be terminated with extreme prejudice.

4. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

5. wdlove thread starter macrumors P6

wdlove

My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends.

We need to get tougher on terrorists.

6. Amani macrumors member

Amani

No, the U.S. needs to get itself out of people's culture and business. U.S leaders and the media label anyone "terrorist" when they attack US interests. The more "tougher we get on terrorists," the more war will continue. Look at Iseral and Palestine. It never stops. I really wonder what a Bush would tell a class of children about violence. He probably would warn them to never turn the other cheek....

Anyway, today's beheading is nothing more than an example of how infantile and thugish powerful forces in the world are, including the Bush regime. Ironically the "terroists" killed a man who helped build military jets to kill other people.

7. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

Still, beheading innocent people doesnt do much but piss the U.S. off even more, and it sure doesnt help them to look "justified" in the world's eyes.

Even if the U.S. left yesterday, terrorists would still be bombing Jerusalem or flying planes into buildings and have some other stupid as hell reason to kill more people.

Dont blame the U.S. for terrorists being terrorists.

If these terrorists would channel half of the effort they spend killing people into diplomatic/world relations, maybe something would get solved. They are perpetuating a problem just as much as anyone else is.

8. Amani macrumors member

Amani

But where does it all end? I'm not just blaming the U.S. War begets more war is my point. bin Laden/Bush: neither can take the moral high ground. They're both are backward religious fanatics--with different political and economic interests. Believe me, the only winners in this war will oil producing Arabs and US oil companies. The rest of us and them will go on dying and paying higher prices for gas and energy.

Finally, why are they terroists and the Bush regime and Pentagon are not? What does it take to be a terroists? If you don't have a recognized military directed by a so-called democratic government, then you're a terroist?

9. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Well, no, why should we isolate ourselves? I agree that we shouldn't bully others, and I think we're too into saying we're trying to help when all we're doing is protecting our interests. I think we have - to some degree - the right to protect our interests, but we should stop trying to defend many of our actions as "humanitarian". And I think that some of our actions aren't defensible on any grounds. But that doesn't mean we should run away and hide here at home.

No, they label people who target civilians with the goal of inspiring terror as "terrorists". Just like everyone else does.

Oh, yes, because people who are as fundamentalist as Al Qaeda will certainly just sit back and sip tea once we do what they ask. They'd never, ever even consider using further threats and violence until the whole world functioned in the backwards manner they prefer.

It's too bad that they chose to hide behind the Muslim faith, which is really a beautiful one. And ironic they'd be so anti-progress, since the Middle East was one of the bastions of science a thousand years or so ago, back when most of Europe was in the Dark Ages. My, how times have changed.

I am not even vaguely a fan of Bush. I think the whole Iraq thing was a mistake, and I think he knew he was lying when he started it. BUT... it is never a good idea for a country to just "turn the other cheek". When attacked, attack back. You might lose anyway, but at least you don't just invite someone to come in and walk all over you. FWIW, I think Saddam was evil. I think he was horrible to his people. I'm glad he's gone. But...it wasn't our right to take him down, and I can't truly blame Iraqi forces for fighting back. We invaded them. We weren't fighting back. We started it. Of course, what they should have done is just "turned the other cheek", right? And, of course, if Israel turns the other cheek, then there won't be any more bus bombs, right?

Peace comes from strength.

It wasn't even vaguely "ironic". They took him because he serviced (not "helped build") Apache helicopters (not "jets").

The beheading was horrible. It wasn't really any more horrible - for him - than killing him many other ways, and was relatively quick compared to some things they could have done. It was horrible for us. We waited to see if his head would be cut off, which is even worse than waiting for him to be, say, shot or hanged, at least psychologically. They beheaded him specifically to invoke terror in people (hence the term "terrorist", duh).

Al Qaeda and the like should be hunted down like the vermin they are, and I apologize to vermin for the comparison. Not because they disagree with us. Not because they fight us. Because they are such cowards who kill innocents.

That said, we have no right to consider ourselves on the moral high ground either, and to that extent I agree with you. Al Qaeda uses tactics which are morally reprehensible. However, to a very large extent, we are responsible for the environment which bred the movement. We have treated the Middle East as a place that we get oil from, and cared only about that. If there were no oil there, we'd've totally neglected them. We've allowed abuses to happen just to keep the oil flowing. So, to some extent, we're culpable as well. It's not because we interfered with their culture or "business" so much as it is because we never seemed to help of care about the area and promote the spread of the oil wealth, or at least push for human rights more.

If you try to eliminate poverty and oppression, you typically go a long way towards eliminating violence. And if you don't try to eliminate those things, you in effect promote conditions for violence.

10. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Our interests should start at home first. Though no one, including most of the free world doubted our need to act in Afghanistan.

Is said that charity begins at home.

You mean like this news today?

BAGHDAD, Iraq (AP) - A U.S. military plane fired missiles Saturday into a residential neighborhood in Fallujah, killing at least 20 people and leveling houses in the restive Sunni Muslim city, police and residents said.

It was the first significant U.S. military action in the city since Marines ended a bloody three-week siege against insurgents. Since the U.S. forces left, residents have said that extremist influence in the city, west of Baghdad, has only grown.

U.S. Marines declined comment and referred queries to the U.S. command, which said it had no comment.

Sure does a lot to win the hearts and minds of a country.

Remember bin Laden's hatred of the US is the defiling of Muslim land during the first Iraqi war. Regardless of our beliefs, a host countries beliefs need to respected too.

But to the oil we did with their culture and "business".

Gee, maybe $110+ billion dollars should have been spent on eliminating violence in the US then.

11. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Absolutely. We should take care of our country first. I merely meant that we needn't avoid the rest of the world and stay isolated.

I don't defend killing civilians by anyone, us included. If it's unintentional, then I expect that every effort was made to avoid it. If efforts are not made to avoid killing civilians, then it's wrong. Period. Sure sounds like the missiles were intended to hit the residential neighborhood. Sure sounds wrong.

I don't think we should be in Iraq.

I think he'd have found some other reason to hate us. He used us to help get rid of the Soviets in Afghanistan. But he never liked us.

Like I said, I don't think we should have been in Iraq. Period. I completely agree that the money could have been better spent. I especially think the lives could have been better spent. Like, say, living longer.

12. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Ok, I know this sounds a bit cliche, but the report on this sounds to me like heavy media bias. No mention was made as to whether the people killed were innocent civilians who had no knowledge of the attack, or insurgents who had taken cover in a "residential neighborhood". It is quite likely that this was a necessary military action that killed only or at least mostly extremists that were fighting our forces. Of course the media wouldn't report on that part...

JW

13. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Here is the complete link:

http://cnn.netscape.cnn.com/ns/news...0844931913.htm&sc=1107&photoid=20040619BAG102

Yes, it could have been for a target. Yet why is there such secrecy? At least the Command could have stated that it was for a particular target. But refusing to comment sure makes it seems like a questionable strike.

14. taeclee99 macrumors 6502a

taeclee99

Fanatical islamic extremists do not fear our missles or our bullets. To them, being killed for the cause of jihad is an honorable cause. It automatically lands their souls in heaven and their reward is 72 virgins. There is one thing that these people to do fear. Pork. Pigs are considered to be "unclean" and of the devil. So the solution is simple. After any of these terrorists gets killed or blow themselves up in a suicide fashion, we should wrap their remains in pig skins. This will instill fear in these people like nothing else.
    Because it is believed that being in the presence of pork will send them straight to eternal damnation.

There is a precedent for this. In 1911, a islamic insurrection in the Phillipines was quickly brought to an end because the practice of burying dead terrorists with pig skins was instituted.

15. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Gotta wonder how they can do that sort of math nowadays....

16. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

After his death Osama bin Ladin went to heaven. There he was greeted by George Washington, who proceded to slap him across the face and yell at him, "How dare you try to destroy the nation I helped concieve."
    Patrick Henry approached and punched Osama in the nose and shouted, "You have wanted to end our liberties but failed"
    James Madison entereted, kicked Osama in the groin and said "This is why I allowed our governement to provide for the common defense"
    Thomans Jeffereson came in and proceded to beat Osama many times with a long cane and said, "it was evil men like you that provided me the inspiration to write the Declaration of Independence!"
    These beatings and thrashings continued as John Rudolph, James Monroe and 66 other early americans came in and unleashed their anger on the muslim terrorist leader.
    As Osama lay bleeding and wrtithing in unbearable pain an angel appeared. Bin Ladin wept and said to the angel, "This is not what you promised me!" The angel replied, "I told you there would be 72 Virginians waiting for you in heaven. What did you think I said?"

17. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Good one...

A man dies and goes to heaven. He gets to the Pearly Gates. St. Peter is standing there. Behind St. Peter is a wall of clocks with just a single hand. The man asks St. Peter what is up with the singled handed clocks.

St. Peter said. "Those are sin clocks. Every time you commit a sin the hand moves. So whether you lie, cheat, or steal the hand moves. See your clock here. It has only a few clicks. So you are able to get to Heaven.".

The man said. "I see, so who is that clock over there with no clicks on it?".

"Oh, that is Mother Teresa's clock. We keep that up to show people what is possible", said St. Peter.

"Well what about the one that seems to be moving every second or so?"

St. Peter frowned, "That is Osama bin Laden's clock".

"Well, I am happy that I was able to pass the "clock test". But can ask where President George W. Bush's clock is, if I can ask?".

St. Peter looked upward and said, "Well, Jesus needed a new ceiling fan for his office...."

18. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

That one is so old. Thomas Jefferson told it about Aaron Burr :)

19. socbyset macrumors member

Right so there is no moral difference between US civilians working on military projects and thugs who kidnap civilians and slice their heads off on videotape. The old "cycle of violence" canard. More like the "cycle of tired old rhetoric." ridiculous.

20. angelneo macrumors 68000

the killing spree continues.....
    news on cnn
    my condolences.

Apparently, those extremists wish to stand alone against the whole world...

21. hawk1646 macrumors newbie

Geez, even ISLAMIC CLERICS the very people these extremists say they're "fighting for" condemn their actions and say that these people are a disgrace to the beautiful religion of Islam. They'll never learn I guess.... :(

22. ThomasJefferson macrumors 6502

Cough. Cough.

23. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Are you saying that you never heard that one? :)

24. Amani macrumors member

Amani

Interesting how the powerful frame words. The occupation, killing, and slaughter of Iraqi civilian, soldiers, and prisoners by the U.S. (using million dollar bombers and other weapons) is a "military project," but the beheading is far worse.

Killing is killing, no matter what form it takes. The less powerful use "extreme" methods because that's the weapon they've been forced to use. It's wrong, but it's reality. What do we expect Iraqi militants or Iraqi people in general to do when they the U.S. out their country? Unfortuneatly, they will respond to violence with violence. Pure and simple.

And anyway, one man's idea of rhetoric is another man's idea of truth. Again, the U.S. needs to leave Iraq now. Let them resolve their own problems.

25. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

You have a point there. Does it matter whether we take one bomb to get at the wrong doers, and a second bomb like we did this week?