U.S. Indicts Padilla After 3 Years in Pentagon Custody

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Nov 22, 2005.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

link

interesting shift in tactics. i'm glad he'll be getting his day in court, this gestapo crap has got to stop.

2. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

If he's being tried in a civil court, doesn't that beg the question of why they were holding him for three years? Is he not an "enemy combatant" any more?

3. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

it certainly does raise questions. as the article indicated, the prosecutors wanted to avoid having this in front of the supreme court, and that should tell us something.

i heard some of this on NPR. whoever announced this refused to address questions about the enemy combatant thing.

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Color me cynical, but I don't believe a word. Sounds like they HAD to make up something.

5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Law.com linked to an article on it ...

He is finally being moved out of military hands into the federal crimal justice system.

Sounds like the charges are still terrorism-based -- but alas, not the ones we were basically fed the past three years.
    At least he in in the DOJ hands now, and not the military.

Edit: Too lazy to bother to read the actual indictment.

http://news.findlaw.com/hdocs/docs/padilla/uspad111705ind.pdf

6. toontra macrumors 6502

One has to wonder about his mental state after all this time in these conditions. Will he be in a position to mount a defense?

7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked