U.S. Judge Expresses Frustration at Apple's and Google's Use of Litigation as 'Business Strategy'

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 11, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Bloomberg reports on comments from a U.S. District Court judge in Miami chastising Apple and Google for engaging in patent lawsuits as part of a broader business strategy rather than focusing on resolution of the disputes. The judge is currently overseeing a legal dispute that began with an initial complaint by Motorola Mobility in late 2010 and was expanded in January 2012 with the approval of Google, which had agreed to acquire Motorola several months earlier.
    [​IMG]
    Scola went on to blast the companies' "obstreperous and cantankerous conduct" in refusing to streamline the 12 patents and over 180 claims currently involved in the lawsuit.
    Scola has given Apple and Google four months in which to streamline the case on their own before he puts the case on hold.

Article Link: U.S. Judge Expresses Frustration at Apple's and Google's Use of Litigation as 'Business Strategy'

2. macrumors 603

Oletros

A wise judge

3. macrumors member

What, so they now don't want corporations to use the Legal system, and duke it out Mafia style? Its the Legal and patent system that needs fixing, not the other way round.

4. macrumors 6502

AMEN!!!! Well said!

5. macrumors 601

BornAgainMac

I wonder if that Judge visits this site a lot.

6. macrumors 6502a

phillipduran

Whoa! Whoa there Judge. Common sense has no place in today's judicial process.

7. macrumors 65816

WiiDSmoker

If you can't innovate; litigate.

8. macrumors 6502a

It's a shame that they can't work things out and a joke how the courts are used.

Here's hoping it'll change.

9. macrumors newbie

I'm impressed.

10. macrumors 6502

Joe-Diver

obstreperous

Must start using this....

11. macrumors 68020

Squilly

That's a lot of wasted $ spent on lawyers, even if it is a "business strategy"

12. macrumors newbie

Miami?

Funny how they've filed in Miami, about as far away from Silicon Valley and probably one of the least technology savvy areas in the country...

If they get kicked out of that court, hello North Dakota!

13. macrumors 6502a

Truffy

I agree with the judge. It's about time these spoiled brats grew up. The only winners are lawyers.

14. macrumors P6

Peace

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't this start out as a Motorola lawsuit against Apple claiming infringement on FRAND patents ?

So don't go bashing Apple. Instead the government should start looking at Google for abusing the FRAND patents in lawsuits.

15. macrumors 68020

I'm still disappointed that Jobs lost it, and chose the juvenile rant. Going "thermonuclear" is a tantrum that forever taints his legacy. Shameful.

16. macrumors 603

bedifferent

Someone in the legal system telling it like it is, finally.

17. batmccoy, Apr 11, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2013

macrumors member

It only takes one company to send two to court

If a competitor is willing to create a product that they know violates patents—they are asking to go to court. If a competitor decides to sue you, you must go to court. That sounds like normal use of the system to me.

18. Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

While I agree, the companies are taking advantage of the rights afforded them. They're no different then any other corporation using the legal system to their advantage.

19. macrumors 603

Oletros

Who knows that they are violating other's patents?

20. macrumors 6502

For some reason, I like this judge.

21. macrumors regular

It blows my mind how anyone can excuse the companies' rights to litigation upon infringement.

If someone copies your idea, it's ok to let it slide?

22. macrumors 65816

My bet is that the case will be put on hold because parties will not be able narrow things down. In this (Florida) case it's because it's in Apple's interest to hold things off.

23. macrumors 68020

This case was brought about Motorola/Google and the judge is basically mostly bashing Google since they are the one suing. Not sure if anyone is bashing Apple specifically.

24. macrumors 65816

Tankmaze

Don't hate the players, but hate the game. I'm not supporting this type of patent lawsuit but there are lots of this companies (and patent trolls) using money and litigation to their advantage.

25. gri
    macrumors 6502a

gri

Bravo! Need more of these guys. Some common sense.