Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cppguy

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2009
SF Bay Area, California
I've seen plenty of discussions showing the negligible difference of using ECC RAM and I can't see why with all the reductions in component costs such as RAM, multi-terabyte hard drives and large 250Gb+ SSDs that the next Mac Pro couldn't be an absolute beast yet start at a more affordable price point than it was introduced at. £1599 or less would make a lot of people happy.

That would be awesome. I don't need a Xeon CPU or ECC RAM. It's a total overkill. What Apple completely misses is the desktop computer category. You know, desktop CPU, multiple drive (HDD + SSD) configuration, dedicated video card. I don't like the all-in-one iMac, it's extremely hard to replace the drive, and it's a major compromise because of the lack of space. Not to mention I use my monitors for 10-15 years, so the computer part should be separate. As an engineer, developer and photographer, I'll always need more high-end stuff than an internet browser. If the Mac Mini had a version that's 2-3 times larger, it would still fit in my backpack, and it could be made a serious desktop machine with dual drives and a good video card. (Let me explain: I always use external monitors, keyboard and mouse, I very rarely need a laptop, but I still need a machine I can easily carry.)

The Deepness

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2008
Demand may be waning, but Macs are the best they've ever been.

If you're talking about specs, then no, Mac computers have always been miles behind.

If you're talking about build quality, yes, nothing comes close to the build quality of Mac computers (for now, anyway)

There may be a few faster and/or more powerful computers out there, but when it comes to specs or build quality, the top-of-the-line, late-2012 27" iMac is hardly "miles behind" anything.

yadmonkey

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2002
Western Spiral
Are we really going to get into a benchmarks vs. total experience debate?

Total experience is paramount and for those of us who push hardware (gamers, multitrack musicians, video editors, etc.), benchmarks are a key part of the total experience. End of argument.

Now let's argue about whether hot or cold tap water is more important.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
There's just one problem with this statement: Mac computers always lag behind PCs in benchmarks that don't really matter.

i.e. I know I'll get five hours out of my MacBook Pro at university. My old Dell laptop (three years old now) struggled to last two hours. My screen is of a significantly higher standard than almost every laptop out there. Build quality's top notch, incredible support, high re-sale value.

I don't care if your laptop can do the Egypt OpenGLES Offscreen render or whatever 12% faster than my MacBook. I know for a fact Safari will be snappier for me than you can get it.

Also: Do some research.

My late 2011 MBPro on Lion runs for (if I am lucky) about 2 hours.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
And I thought that the better the benchmarks the better the experience. What's wrong with owning a faster computer?

If you make a true comparison, i.e. Apple model to PC model the benchmark differences are not noticeable to the average consumer.

Spec hounds and people who put high processing demands onto laptops will disagree, but for my 2 cents the MacBook line is just fine and Haswell will
hopefully make the "benchmark" crowd happy.

It's a non issue for me.

dec.

Suspended
Apr 15, 2012
Toronto
And I thought that the better the benchmarks the better the experience. What's wrong with owning a faster computer?

There's nothing wrong with owning a faster computer. I have a 2011 dell studio that I bought just before getting a 2011 MBA with significantly lower specs. Haven't touched the dell since (which seems to have wrecked the battery as it lasts for 30 minutes), so your "thinking" does not seem to apply to everyone (I know, stating the obvious, but since you asked...)

Mike Valmike

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2012
Chandler, Arizona
Wow, you mean with only one iMac refresh in a span of 748 days (and counting, over two years) the consumer public doesn't feel any urgency to go out and shop Apple? Do tell!

FWRLCK

macrumors member
May 2, 2011
Yes. But sadly - there could come a time when Apple drops the line altogether if the trend keeps going. Not saying they will. Afterall - we're still talking about millions of machines.

But I wouldn't rejoice too much that iPad sales are eroding Mac PC sales.

Possibly, but before they can do that they have to solve the 'what is our development platform?' problem. If iOS gets to the point where there are iOS devices that developers want to use, then yeah, the Mac may be doomed.

Elbon

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2008
Boston, MA
Parents buy them for there kids instead of having to fork out the cash for a contract

Parents also buy them for themselves for the same reason. I bought an iPod touch 2 years ago. It does everything an iPhone can do except make calls (which I don't do very often), but it cost me a total of $300 (the price of the unit) instead of $150 + $75 * 24 = $1,950. So I'll stick with the iPod over the iPhone as long as it is an option.

The Deepness

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2008
Nice things cost money.

And price/performance ratios. They need to seriously think about being fair with both the standard configurations and their build to order prices. There's nothing right about their pricing at all. They're making enough from iTunes/iGadgets to subsidise a "fair pricing" model for their Mac range, then it wouldn't be stigmatised with the reputation of "Pretty, easy to use but obscenely over-priced" that the platform currently has.

The "stigma" of being perceived as overpriced is not something Apple has ever concerned itself about, and never will. Computers so well-designed, that "just work," come at a premium, as they should. It's part of what sets the Apple brand apart. Consumers either understand and accept that, or they buy something else.

512ke

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2003
Gene Munster predicted Apple shares would hit 1,000 not that long ago.

He burned himself once with Apple and anything he has to say on the company or its stock must be read with caution.

Renzatic

Suspended

A main factor in this machine's metrics is the fact that every Windows installation on it is clean. With PC manufacturers loading so much crapware on new laptops, this is a bit of an unfair competition. But, on the other hand, PC makers should look at this data and aspire to ship PCs that perform just as well as a cleanly installed MacBook Pro.

AMEN!

If there's one Achilles heel to the PC scene, it's the OEMs half assing their low end lines and loading down all their machines with crapware.

You could have the fastest, best built PC in the world, and it won't mean crap if you can barely use it because you have 40 redundant programs eating up all your ram in the task bar, with all of them forcing a deluge of harassment pop ups down your throat.

This is why I applaud MS making their own hardware. It's guaranteed to run well, and not come with any extraneous fluff that adds nothing and takes 4 hours to remove.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States

You thought wrong. So as long as the specs and benchmarks are good the whole experience will be better? Yeah. :rolleyes:. Windows brings down the curve.

I would rather have a slower Mac than a faster PC with crap Windows OS on it. That would slow down my productivity. ;)

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Dell sells cheap laptop. So what? If you talk about benchmarks, Dell's top of the line laptops (mobile workstations) easily beat Mac Book Pros.

That's not "top of the line", that is computers with some seriously bad design compromises - tons of weight, no battery life, in exchange for a bit more power. And you are welcome to show evidence how they "easily beat" an MBP. They do indeed lose badly on three benchmarks that are most important to customers: 1. Weight. 2. Size. 3. Battery life.

usersince86

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
college bound students

The timing on the MBP upgrades is great for those heading to college (including my youngest child).

Hope they are available immediately at WWDC and they don't have to wait until September/October.

Renzatic

Suspended
That's not "top of the line", that is computers with some seriously bad design compromises - tons of weight, no battery life, in exchange for a bit more power. And you are welcome to show evidence how they "easily beat" an MBP. They do indeed lose badly on three benchmarks that are most important to customers: 1. Weight. 2. Size. 3. Battery life.

If you're buying a huge workstation laptop, weight, size, and battery life are secondary to power and performance. They're machines designed to be portable desktop replacements, not a laptop you can use in the car for 4 hours.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Benchmark means more than just hardware, too. An outdated Mac is still built better and runs a better OS than the latest Acer/HP/Dell on the market.

You could open up a whole new can of worms with that statement. All down to opinion I'm afraid. But yes, a benchmark is more then just specs. Hence why I mentioned design in my post.

barkmonster

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2001
Lancashire
The "stigma" of being perceived as overpriced is not something Apple has ever concerned itself about, and never will. Computers so well-designed, that "just work," come at a premium, as they should. It's part of what sets the Apple brand apart. Consumers either understand and accept that, or they buy something else.

You've being sold that hook line and sinker. High end OS? Yes. High end industrial design (the aesthetics of their systems)? Yes. High end amounts of RAM, high end storage and prices that reflect it? Not a chance!

It's over £200 to trade a HDD for an SSD worth at most another £100. They don't ship with the most high end HDDs available which they should for the price. Anything with a laptop 2.5" drive should have those new Hitachi 7200rpm drives AS STANDARD with a fair build to order cost for trading up to an SSD when 500Gb SSDs with TLC flash (35 year lifespan, not 70) are around the £250 price bracket for consumers.

I agree with the "Just works" idea. My old G4 is still going strong after 11 years of use and I'm the second user it's had in it's lifetime, they build their Macs to last but the standard storage/RAM is not only lacking in capacity, in a lot of cases, it's lacking in performance.

Anything with 3.5" drives should be Caviar Black drives all the way as a minimum, 2.5" drives should be 6Gb/s SSDs of 250Gb+ or power efficient 7200rpm drives with large caches and 750Gb/1Tb capacities AS STANDARD.

That means no price increases, just across the board spec increases on the most basic of components all brands of computer come with. They're negligible costs compared with the overall prices of any system but would go a long way to actually getting the most out of them from the outset. There's no get out clause where they get to peddle cheaper, lower performing components for premium prices based on some percieved idea of "most consumers" they're high end priced, they should reflect that with the performance of the most basic of components. The move to 8Gb RAM as standard on some systems is positive but want any more and you better get saving for that 200%+ mark up Apple charge to swap out the standard RAM for double the density.

Last edited:

TouchMint.com

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2012
Phoenix
they are still profiting off the ipods. I can see development and innovation in them slowly die but I think they will keep producing them for a good long while.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.