U.S. murders down, rapes up

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by solvs, Oct 17, 2005.

1. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Well, the good news is that the murder rate is down. And I suspect that more rapes are being reported, which would explain the numbers going up, but the article doesn't say. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9728174/

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

link

according to me, illinois, led by the rather democratic chicago, is probably the most democractic state in the country right now (dem governer, 2 dem senators).

not that i'm citing any causality between (D) and lower crime, of course.

3. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Thank God there's a Republican in the White House.

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

OK, I see where the rest of their rationales come from, but where did this come from? Maybe I missed it, but is there some evidence that terrorism has 'deterred street crime'? Or is this a POA?

5. tristan macrumors 6502a

Yeah, that one confused me too. "I was going to go outside and kill somebody but was worried about getting hit by a dirty bomb so I just stayed in that night."

Maybe it means terrorism fears led to a larger police presence, which discouraged people. But I'm skeptical of that too, because most murders are by people you know (friends, family, etc) not street crime. (i.e. if they don't know you, they don't have a reason to want to kill you!)

6. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I was confused by the abortion part. Is the percentage of unwanted children that grow up to be criminals really that high?

Lethal

7. vniow macrumors G4

Does anyone else see something seriously wrong with this thread title or is it just me?

8. tristan macrumors 6502a

Yeah, that's from the book "Freakonomics". Less unwanted kids means less crime.

9. solvs thread starter macrumors 603

solvs

That was the title of the link I clicked on to get to the story. I couldn't think of anything better to title it at the time. Like I said, I'm hoping that it's just more rapes being reported, not more occurring.

But yeah, that does sound kinda funny doesn't it (not really funny haha... you know what I mean).

10. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

As tristan mentions, there is a book out called 'Freakonomics' that has a part that cites some research (and I haven't really sorted through it yet, so I can't make any claim to it's accuracy -- however I did find out about it due to an article in The Economist, so it's obviously being taken seriously) that claims that the advent of legal abortion in 1973 correlates nicely with the drop in violent crime we started to see in the early '90s and continuing throughout the decade. That's just about 18-20 years, right about the time you'd find those unwanted children starting to commit violent crimes on average.

Interestingly enough, the author also claims that access to abortion doesn't actually reduce the number of children a woman has during her lifetime, it simply changes the timeframe in which she has them (ie. it is much more common to use abortion to postpone children rather than to not have them at all).

This theory was, as I mentioned, at the heart of the recent Bill Bennett controversy when he mentioned aborting all black babies.

So that covers where they got that point, regardless of whether it's held as gospel, it's at least valid scientific research. I haven't seen anything that gives a reason or any evidence that fear of terrorism reduces street crime. That sounds fishy to me.

11. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Like we're killing Mexico and ****ing Canada?