U.S. population to reach 300,000,000

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Doctor Q, Aug 15, 2006.

1. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I read in the newspaper that we are approaching a milestone of note: the 300 millionth inhabitant of the United States.

Current U.S. Census Bureau estimates are that the U.S. population (including immigrants and illegal aliens, but not tourists or other temporary visitors) will reach 300,000,000 about October 27, 2006.

Statistically, the new inhabitant will most likely be a boy, born to a white non-Hispanic 28 or 29-year-old woman living in the South.

If all goes well, he will become a Mac user (beating the odds) and will join MacRumors on October 27, 2019.

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

The main U.S. Census Bureau page has US and world "population clocks." (They're obviously not based on actual births and deaths but on a mathematical formula based on projections.) About 514,000 to go to 300 million!

3. Tanglewood macrumors 6502a

Tanglewood

How much of the growth comes from immigration?

EDIT - We have a net gain of one person every 10 seconds. (source)

4. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

I always thought there was 360-Million in the US already, not sure why.

I seem to recall that only 50-million people voted in the last US election.. which was a record high turnout. Is this correct?

The other 250-Million people can't all be non-US citizens, criminals, too young or just too lazy to vote can they?

5. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

In the last presidential election (2004), the US had 197 million eligible voters. 125 million of them voted, for a turnout of 63.8%. It was the highest turnout for a presidential election since 1992, when 68% of eligible voters voted.

For more stats than you want to know, see this PDF from the Census Bureau.

6. exabytes18 macrumors 6502

7. runplaysleeprun macrumors 6502a

runplaysleeprun

Great, now the chinese only outnumber us 4.354 to 1. :D

8. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

doctor,

here's the first three thoughts that came to my head...it's 630 am so i am sleepy and in that twilight mode when i am a seer ;)

1) i live in collifornia and we already have 300 million people
    2) he may be the anti-christ
    3) he will win a major shopping spree for life which will be shown on reality tv

9. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

well being that you are from chicago, it probably feels like there are 300 mil right there

same for la, nyc, and the bay area on a bad day (actually the bay area has only 4 mil or so in its center but very few roads to support that population)

and having lived in london which is administered within the 14 million strong london commuter belt (2001 figure), it feels like the whole world is there during rush hour and the metro london region is much more populated than chicago or los angeles for those americans who think they live in a BIG city

only moscow, in europe, can post such numbers

of course, major chinese cities and their surrounding areas and the tri state area in new york (around 30 million people) usually hold the world records but such a massive number of people is hard to track accurately

10. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

No, we have about 36 million people, not quite 300 million. ;)

11. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

And 35 million of those 36 million seem to be on the 405 freeway at rush hour every day. :mad:

12. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

you know, beyond a certain point, it all feels the same...really

downtown san francisco is the second most densely populated city centre in the usa, with manhattan being the most densely populated...and even though sf hovers just under a million people, it feels like an uncomfortable sea of humanity and parking is horrendous

the worst congestion i have seen in los angeles still does not compare to downtown sf or the inadequate, small freeways that surround silicon valley

at least los angeles has the massive 5 and 405 and nyc has a sea of superhighways taking commuters in and out of the city

13. macreator macrumors regular

macreator

Superhighways? I wouldn't consider any of the highways within the limits of New York City or Long Island to be a superhighway. All of the NYC Area's highways except for the Long Island Expressway and the West Side "highway" (at most points simply a wide boulevard with traffic lights) haven't been updated since the 1940 - 1950's for the most part. Virtually all NYC highways lack road basics such as proper lane acceleration and deceleration lanes and more closely resemble rural parkways.

The West Coast has much more up-to-date roads.

14. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

does that mean they work better or just up to date?

15. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

if you saw highway 1, 17, 101, and portions of 280, 580, 680 in the bay area, you may mistaken them for somebody's country-@$$ driveway or backroad

highway 85 was a needed addition to the region but there needs to be a lot more for the area

also, BART, or bay area rapid transit needs to branch out to all areas of the bay area instead of just the center

16. Tanglewood macrumors 6502a

Tanglewood

17. supremedesigner macrumors 6502a

supremedesigner

the most interesting fact about 300 million America population is that myspace have 1/3 of america's population!!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

edit: myspace.com/tom and scroll down to see his "friends" status.

18. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

NYC roads often lack a reasonably smooth surface. If not for the bridges and tunnels, you wouldn't know smooth.

Strange that NJ and Philly are so much better but on my recent trip, I noticed that they don't seem all that great now.

The Los Angeles area doesn't seem all that great, either. The Hollywood Freeway looks as if hasn't been maintained for years.

At least, there is some mass transit that works in the northeast.

19. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

The Pasadena freeway ain't too hot either. It was our first freeway, before lanes were wide enough for today's cars, and it has incredibly short on/off ramps. You have to go from 0 to 60 in 5 seconds or less to merge safely. It's landlocked by terrain so there's probably no way to widen it. They could only improve it by going up, so perhaps it'll be a one-lane 10-level freeway someday.

20. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

someone could make a fortune selling after-market rocket boosters for their los angeles area cars that have to brave the freeways there

my old volvo station wagon would not stand a chance

but the brand new grand am rental car...big engine and lightweight body...was perfect for la when i went there a few years back

actually, i think a dodge hennessy viper would do fine for the 0-60 thing...and for a mere $82k, it's the fastest street legal car in the world

21. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I de-friended him so add one to the count. :eek: :D

So in terms of the statistically likely to be a boy, are there really more live births of boys than girls in the US? I thought it was the other way around by a slight majority...

22. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

No...there are about 105 boys born for every 100 girls in the US.

23. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Boys are born more often but don't live as long as girls, so it balances out. In any case, that's probably why the prediction is that resident number 300,000,000 will be a boy.

I tracked down the Los Angeles Times article here. I'm not sure if you'll have to register to read this story as the web page "ages".

They report that we numbered 100 million in 1915 and 200 million in 1967 and predict 300 million this year and 400 million in 2040. Enjoy the low density now, while you still can!

24. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Couldn't be. There are way more than 1 million people on the 101 during rush hour. Not to mention the 5, 118, 134, 210, 2, 10... I hate it when I have to travel around L.A., well, pretty much anytime between 6am and 9pm.

25. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

That's easy to explain. It's the same 35 million people, driving in circles from one freeway to the other.