U.S. Says Terrorists May Pose As Vagrants

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Aug 23, 2005.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

link

...because the homeless need yet another thing about which to be bothered...

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Darn, no one's job is safe from foreigners anymore. :p

3. highres macrumors 6502a

highres

Does this mean that the OHS is going to launch a pre-emptive national strike against homeless people and their axis' of evil or bases of operation (i.e. soup kitchens)?

That means the guy diggin through my cans and bottles in my recycling bin outside right now could be planning an attack against my garbage can as I write this? :eek:

4. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Most likely not, highres. That would be carrying realism beyond the need, I imagine. Then again, the terrs might have been reading up on "method acting". You can't be too careful when you're a terr.

Probably do better to wear workmen's khakis and carry a clipboard. Nobody notices that sort.

:), 'Rat

5. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

<cynical>or to be white</cynical>

6. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

7. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Yeah. Got any spare weapons of mass destruction?

8. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

That's absolutely pathetic :rolleyes:.

Just another excuse for the authoritories to make people even more paranoid. What other minority groups do they have left to point the finger at?

The Unemployed?
    Single Parents?
    Abortion clinics?
    Stem cell scientists?
    Physicists?

9. Desertrat macrumors newbie

White? Not necessarily, zim. The key is to be invisible. Typically, a neat and clean appearance coupled with some sort of occupational dress is not noticed. Cab driver, chauffeur, utility worker; race doesn't matter...

I've thought about this a bit, on account of a black guy from Detroit who wound up in Terlingua. I asked him how in the world he decided on our little backwater; why he'd left Detroit. His response was that he was fed up with being invisible. He'd been a chauffeur, waiter and doorman at one time or another.

So, look like you belong where you are, but also look unimportant.

'Rat

10. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

my cynicism stems mostly from the readiness with which the bush administration will label people like jose padilla a terrorist, while white terrorists like eric rudolph don't seem to draw such terminology from bush.

anyone know of a quote where bush calls rudolph a terrorist?

11. Inspector Lee macrumors 6502a

Inspector Lee

Dare I say mac users? Hope Gates doesn't decide to pull a Reichstag up in Redmond because we'd all be shut down. Leave the kind of clues that'll really rile the sheeple - iPods, a few black turtlenecks, some F-Balmer literature. I'm telling you, we'd be done.

Back on topic...

'Rat is right, if you wanted to try to pull something off, it is best to be "El Hombre Invisible". Khakis, dress shirt (sans tie), big ass - basically look like a male office temp... You could probably waltz into Norad in that garb without anyone raising an eyebrow.

12. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Interesting.

As the ranks of the homeless are sure to grow in the coming years, with the liklihood of a severe recession (due to debt, fluctuating dollar/euro standard, oil spikes etc) looming, there will be all the more terrorists to be rounded up by the Feds.

Hell, I might be homeless in five years and damn, I would probably have an axe to grind with the Feds...

This seems to be tragically ironic, considering what often creates someone prone to terrorist acts - unemployed, poorly educated, angry, indoctrinated to a religious creed for hope, meaning and/or basic needs, and therefore loyal, rigid and fanatical.

13. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

It's homeless people this time, could be day-laborers or street vendors next.

And to an extent, 'Rat is right. It is all about blending in and becoming 'invisible'. However I'd say that in the majority of places in this country it's easier to be invisible if you are white. Not that someone of any race can't blend in if they study our culture sufficiently, but I'm guessing you definitely noticed that there was a black guy in Terlingua as did most of the other residents. I imagine it would be hard not to notice.

I've been to places where I stood out like a sore white thumb, so I know the reverse is true as well. But it happens in far fewer places in this country than the former.

But it could be anyone. So remember, Big Brother is watching you. Is that criminal Poindexter still running that data mining operation? I bet he is. And I just added another little bit to my file...