U.S. Senate majority leader calls for efforts to bring Taliban into Afghan government

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Oct 3, 2006.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

AP

this surprised me. i await the WH's reaction.

2. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Why dont somebody vote Frist out along with all the other republicans?:) With that logic I wonder if Iraq should let Saddam run things again so we can go:confused:

3. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

They are powerless to stop the drug trade, especially with Putin's mafia supplying them with an endless source of cash.

4. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Link?

As for Frist: my god! A Republican who understands that you can't just kill all the "terrorists." It's almost heartwarming.

5. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Election time allways brings out the best in these guys. I like how they just discovered we have a border and that Mexico, The U.S. and Canada arent just 1 country.:)

6. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

I don't have a specific link, but who do you think is buying all those opiates?

If there was no demand, there will would little use for the supply.

Besides, it's fairly common knowledge that if money is involved, the Russian Mafia
    has their hands in it.

7. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

purely methodologically, he is right on this one, altho it really looks ironic consider his position on iraq, iran and syria.

8. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Who's the largest consumer of opiates in the world? The US and the EU with Britain at the top of the list. While the Russians may well be involved, the end user is just as responsible as is the middleman. The Balkans are also the major point of entry for drugs from Asia.

Frist is only trying to deal with the reality of the situation but the reason the Taliban has surged in popularity has more to do with the US cutting and running.

9. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

I'm sure there's consideration to protect that pipeline they're trying to build too.

Probably something along the lines of allowing them to run their business, if they leave our business alone.

It's always about money.

10. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

No kidding. Of course, since there is talk of having to ramp up troop levels in Iraq after the election is over, there is little option for anyone not willing to reinstate the draft.

Oh, and can anyone guess what the response would have been had a "Defeat-O-crat" made this suggestion?

11. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Oh, there's a ton of drugs flowing through Russia. Definitely. No doubt. One of the interesting effects is that HIV prevalence is significantly higher in cities along the main routes. But I wasn't aware that Putin is in control of the Russian mafia. He's tied in with the power brokers, but I'm not clear on the links between drug trafficking and the political system. I'm sure there are links, but I'd think this was lower level, without knowing what I'm really talking about.

12. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

How do you think these politicians come up with all the millions they have in their
    war chests for campaigning?

What better way to launder money than to blow it on advertising.

13. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Excuse me but- WHAT? I don't mean to sound like a Republican, but the Taliban should not be tolerated AT ALL. If we did any good at all, it was getting rid of those freaks. They scared the crap out of me when they destroyed the Buddhist statues in Afghanistan. These people are frightening, and for Bill Frist to say they should be involved in the Afghan government is crazy. And for anyone here to think that they're OK to be in that government is nuts. Come on guys! WTF?

14. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

I don't think anyone here is approving such an idea, but in a twisted world,
    I can see how some might view their inclusion in Afghan society as the only way
    forward.

15. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I'm sorry, but I will NEVER share that view. The Taliban is the quivalent of the Nazi party in Germany. No WAY should we be encouraging that just for the illusion of peace.

Sorry kids, but this is where I get hawkish.

16. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

I think its an act of desperation. To make Afghanistan go away. The Russians couldn't win, what makes us think we can?

And if we agree to a Taliban presence within the government, what was the purpose of invading Afghanistan to begin with? To get Bin Laden?

I think this just redefines "failure." And I heard on NPR this morning that part of the military budget for this year (to be rolled into next year) is a $20 million allowance for a victory ceremony.

17. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

Many would argue that the Bush administration is even worse.

We had no damn business going into Iraq and because we did,
    there were not enough resources available to control the situation in Afghanistan.

Thanks to these blunders, the United States is now viewed as too weak to control the situation in any country.
    The handling of Katrina showed the world that we are not prepared to manage
    a crisis on our own soil, much less anywhere else.

Iran, will use this against us pushing things as far as they can and as you can see N. Korea is pushing the limits too, because they see that Bush is no longer an effective leader.
    Russia also tested us with the situation in Georgia.

Our allies will now seek other loyalties to protect their interests.

18. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

On the plus side, this should kill any chance Frist has at becoming President in '08...

19. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

the administration got it backwards. the taleban were indeed a menance, they were destabilizing the region, and they were providing a haven for terrorists.

iraq was stable and contained.

but again, it's the pattern of ignoring the evidence and charging ahead with preconceived notions. so today 1) iraq is improving, and 2) afghanistan has been liberated.

it's unreal.

20. trebblekicked macrumors 6502a

trebblekicked

so. does this constitute cutting and running?

21. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Bush has never been a effective leader, I actually like him as a person but his policys are rotten to the core,his performance has been horrible and his administration is an administration of spin. Now all the good generals are gone thanks to him & staff and Rumsfeld is clueless to the root cause of these problems in Iraq. We need people like Wesley Clark running things not a bunch of draft dodging republican scumbags who never served pretending to be warriors like Hastert,Cheney,Rove,Libbey. How the heck can you want to put the taliban in control of Afghanistan is beyond me. Vote out all republicans. Its the only thing we can do. Its up to you as voters to change this mindless course we are on.

22. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

No. Why not, you may ask? Because a Republican suggested it. If a Republican suggests such a thing, it is a bold and brave thing to suggest. If a "Defeat-O-crat" were to suggest the very same thing -- then it would be cutting and running.

I hope that clears things up for you.

23. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Has there ever been a U.S. Administration and Congress whose collective leadership is so poorly informed and naive with regard to foreign policy?

24. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Carter & his Congress is a close 2nd. But we didnt elect him twice like we did the current bunch.

25. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

But this group has had 25 years since then to go to school on the past. Carter could have pled ignorance. With this bunch, no plea is necessary.