U.S. Stock Market Watch

Discussion in 'Community' started by Shrek, Aug 7, 2002.

?

What are your feelings about the U.S. Stock Market right now?

1. I'm optimistic! :D

11 vote(s)
    57.9%
  2. I'm pessimistic! :mad:

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I'm realistic. :rolleyes:

7 vote(s)
    36.8%
  4. I honestly don't know. :confused:

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. The U.S. shouldn't have a stock market! :mad:

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. This is boring. :(

1 vote(s)
    5.3%
  1. Shrek macrumors 65816

Shrek

http://money.cnn.com/2002/08/07/markets/markets_newyork/index.htm
    http://money.cnn.com/2002/08/06/markets/markets_newyork/index.htm

The U.S. Stock Market has been up 2 days in a row. Let's hope it stays that way. Though we must realize there will be some down days, but hopefully the up days will overwhelm the down days.

IMHO President Bush seems to be doing all he can to stimulate the economy back to life again. I praise him for his effort. We have gotten a tax cut passed, an economic stimulus package, a corporate reform bill, and just yesterday Mr. Bush signed an open trade bill. IMO, even if the economy does continue to fail, you can't blame Bush for not trying. ;)

Apple, Motorola, and IBM have been up these past two days as well. Apple is now up over $15.00! Woohoo!

Let's use this thread to keep an eye on the stock market and have discussions about it. Here is a link to CNN's Moneyline Homepage:

http://money.cnn.com/

2. Shrek thread starter macrumors 65816

Shrek

bump! :p

C'mon ya'll! Isn't anyone here interested in the stock market? :confused:

3. ibookin' macrumors 65816

ibookin'

I would have to wonder why this is on Macrumors.

4. Nipsy macrumors 65816

Nipsy

If it is too off topic for you, you can always click over to the 'red hat now copying os x' thread and talk about guns.

5. Rajj macrumors 6502a

Rajj

The Stock Market is rigged;)
    It's nothing more than a white-collar version of embezzlement!!!:p

6. Shrek thread starter macrumors 65816

Shrek

The stock market is already on the right track today. Last time I checked the Dow was up more than 75 points, the Nasdaq up 4 points, the S&P up 10; only the 10-year bond was down more than 4 points.

Apple Computer is down $.06, while Motorola is dead even, and IBM is up $0.85. C'mon Apple, Motorola, and IBM!!! CHEER!!! CHEER!!! CHEER!!!

Let's hope it gets better as the day goes by.

7. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

That's because bonds and securities are on opposite ends of the spectrum. If stocks go up, that means that people are pulling their money out of bonds to buy stocks and therefore bonds go down and vice versa. I'm not too happy about all this market optimism tho, if everybody's still so optimistic, it means that the bear market will continue. Only when everybody's given up on the stock market like our little friend xrhajj here will we truly have reached bottom

8. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

hi. it's called a community section

i believe it's described as "anything goes"...

not having any stock, i don't look into it that much. but yeah, it'd be good for everyone if things turned up a bit.

why does apple stock suck so much... i don't get it.

9. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

1) Inventories have been piling up the last couple of quarters. This means that demand is slowing for apple's products = bad

2) Unspectacular second quarter earnings

3) Intoduction of XServe means that Apple is exploring new markets, which may indicate that Apple execs expect growth on their existing products to slow

4) Outdated product lines

5) Apple's not expensing their stock options

6) Stock options are seriously diluting the value of existing common shares

7) Everybody else is going down

10. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Re: U.S. Stock Market Watch

Actually, I can blame Bush. The "open trade bill" is nothing more than serious hypocracy. The republicans passed a law eliminating the very same power that bill gives the president because they didn't want Clinton to have that power. Now, they give it back to him.

Tax cut was passed at a time when the economy was running too hot, and the Fed Chairman was raising the interest rates to cool the economy down to prevent overheating, inflation of stock prices, and the eventual collapse of the market. The tax cut put increased inflationary pressure on the market, and pop... there went the balloon.

Economic stimulus package - let's see, let's just give some more money to Bush's corporate supporters.

Corporate reform bill - pushed by the democrats, hated by the republicans, including Bush, but he knew he had to sign it or risk a huge political backlash, especially in light of his, and Cheney's misdeeds.

Another Bush, another recession.

11. Shrek thread starter macrumors 65816

Shrek

Stocks Rally for a Third Straight Day

http://money.cnn.com/2002/08/08/markets/markets_newyork/index.htm

Apple stock is up $0.27, IBM went up $2.44, and Motorola went up a staggering $0.80!!! This is not normal for Motorola, I think; makes you wonder if some new chips are on the way. :)

12. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

all I know is it can't stay like this forever...

but I am wondering just what's going to be the thing to revive it??

13. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Mid-term elections perhaps?

14. zarathustra macrumors 6502a

zarathustra

Re: Re: U.S. Stock Market Watch

I just hate it when the pointing of the fingers is started by every Joe Blow - both on the Republican and Democrat side. It's Bush's fault - no it's a residue of Clinton-smut, etc., ad-nauseum. And don't say that it's your right to complain, yada-yada-yada. Yes, it's your right, but most of the time all these posts sound as if you would KNOW FOR SURE the ins-and-outs of the political and economic system of the USA. Unless you are an author of Political and Economic systems - your "facts" are as useful as the junior high astronomy class speculating a travel system based on worm holes and quarks.

As for your "Another Bush, another recession." remark, I can claim "Another Democrat, another stupid remark."

15. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

Ahh... yes! this is the way this thread should be going!

Anyway, just to add fuel to the fire, I too blame Bush for the following stupid things he's done to "help" the economy:

1) Imposed tariffs on imported steel, pretty much starting a trade war with europe and asia, while not really helping American steel mills much, except to delay their collapse.

2) Softwood lumber dispute. 'nuff said

3) Going along with the "stock options don't need to be expensed bull****" (granted, Lieberman is just as dumb as Bush)

4) Thinking that coining a catch-phrase such as "Corporate Responsibility" without tougher changes than the ones he's been proposing will restore investor confidence.
    I sure as hell am not more confident!

16. Shrek thread starter macrumors 65816

Shrek

Mixed Day, Winning Week

http://money.cnn.com/2002/08/09/markets/markets_newyork/index.htm

In the meantime, Apple stock has dropped $0.30 (-1.96%) to close at $15.00, Motorola stock is up $0.20 (+1.69%) to close at $12.00), and IBM stock is up $0.22 (+0.31%) to close at $71.83.

17. billiam0878 macrumors 6502

Well a 700 point jump for the DOW in three days isn't bad! :)

Bill