U.S. threatens suit if Maine probes Verizon ties to NSA

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Aug 4, 2006.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

portland press herald

i guess the state of maine is onto something...

2. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

Points of interest.....

I seem to recall the airliner carrying the 70's rock star and current "terrorist" Cat Stevens was diverted to Portland international airport because he was trying to enter the country when his visa was denied.

Also, some of the terrorists from 9/11 were thought to have come through Portland.

Maine is a dangerous place...

:rolleyes:

3. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

Lots of international flights get diverted to the Bangor airport (where Cat Stevens got held over), especially if there's a "crisis" of some sort on the plane (or a wanted figure on the plane).

Used to live in Bangor, and rumor had it there was a large prison under the airport where international criminals were held.

'Bout as true as one of those Stephen King stories, I reckon.

Ayuh.

4. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

I stand corrected. Thank you.

5. thewhitehart macrumors 6502a

thewhitehart

Good for Maine for standing up against the administration. Not surprising for a New England state.

6. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

This current administration will use National Security for the reason for destroying what made this country great and they are known as the Constitution and Bill of rights. Patriot Act is just one example of what these guys will do.So while destroying our Liberty and Freedoms Bin Laden still roams free. Trust nothing coming out of this administration I have learned as a former republican.

7. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

Huh? Data mining the phone records of millions that have been coded to not reveal any identifing information about the caller is "destroying" the Constitution and Bill of Rights? Huh? I can't think of one liberty that the Bush adminstration has legitimately destroyed...

8. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

The Patriotact takes aways many freedoms and libertys. go look it up, I dont recall the govt having the ability to listen to everyones calls without a warrant but yet George & gang are doing so. I dont recall the govt having the authority to march into anyones home without a warrant yet again here we go. Meanwhile they choosed to ignore millions of mexicans and possible terrorist walking into the country from mexico after 911. The Police state brought to us by George & Gang yet where is this Bin Laden who was used as an excuse to strip freedoms and libertys in America?

9. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

4th amendment. we're supposed to be "safe", which includes freedom from searches without probable cause, in our own homes.

and if that doesn't give you a chill, then i'm going to question either your understanding of our rights or your patriotism.

10. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

They aren't listening to your phone calls. I can guarrentee you that the government has neither the desire nor the man power to listen to your phone calls. They data mine phone phone records that have been stripped of any personal information...they don't "listen in"...

When has someone searched your home without probable cause?

11. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

Unless you're interesting enough to listen in to. Do you really think the only people the govt. has its ear to are terrorists?

I'd expect this sometime around October '08. Though I voted Green in 2000, so I might be considered a friend, not an enemy, of the state. ;)

12. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

i fully expect that my phone and internet records have been examined and that my phonecalls have been recorded. if you're going to limit your imagination to men in black suits entering my home, then i don't expect you to understand why it's a violation and why giving such power to this administration is so dangerous.

and if you think they've actually got your best interests at heart, the extent to which you're fooling yourself is beyond my metaphor generating skills to demonstrate.

13. lord patton macrumors 65816

lord patton

Federal threatens to sue State for investigating Private Company's compliance with Federal request.

I love Federalism. The Framers got a lot right.

14. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Under the Patriot Act they dont need probable cause, thats been wiped away by Bin Laden & Bush & gang with Congresses help. All the protections in the constitution have seemed to have been wiped away under 1 party control wether looking at out Liberties or at how the Geneva Convention has been ignored or reinterpeted by the current administration of spin. Still cant believe we could ship and torture folks yet here we are doing this??? Holding people for yrs with no trials? is this America? doesnt sound like my idea of America. Spying on Americans while ignoring 10 million illegals, sorry cant support republicans any more enough is enough.

15. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

To all:

www.eff.org. Its in my signature. I really like this website. To me they are sticking up for use. AT&T is being charged for something very similar and www.eff.org is sticking up for us to protect our rights. I'm not trying to force anyone to look at it, i'm just offering my thoughts on why I like it.

Anyways to the poster about his internet being searched.

I use Tor and a Privoxy which is supposed to make it hard to track what I'm doing on the internet. Bout the only thing I do do is www.Macrumors.com, but that is not the point.

To the poster above about how the administration isn't listening to us. Perhaps your right george himself isn't listening to us, but in regards to the government is. There was an article about 3 months ago about how police chiefs, FBI agents, to governors were all recieving our phone records from phone companies with out search warrants.

I think the worst part about this whole article is that the government is acctually threatening... That is scary... I just can't wait everyone that says if you aren't doing something wrong then why do you need to hide, ends up with the government they want. I can't wait until their wife gets breast cancer or there husband gets testicular cancer or something, and they email their family about it and suddenly their health insurance is skyrocked even though they haven't even told their provider yet. I can't wait until we are watch our every move. Everyone acts like this wouldn't happen, but 15 years ago we would have argued that no one ever would be able to just take our phone records with out a warrant.

16. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

In the name of fighting terrorism we will strip you of your personal liberty in order to defend it!

17. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Then you aren't trying hard enough. Freedoms lost under Bush. And if these things are no big deal, why try to keep them so quiet and fail to get warrants? Which are easy to get BTW, even after the fact. The terrorists already knew we were watching them, the only new info was the lack of oversight.

18. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

Is that true though? I'm really... No longer attorney-client privallege between when in jail...

19. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Yep.